• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which LCD of these 5?

ShadeOfGrey

Standard Member
Hi

I am buying a new LCD TV at the weekend and have narrowed my choices down to the following :

SAMSUNG LE40R88BD

SHARP 42SD1E

TOSHIBA REGZA 42WLT66

PHILIPS 42PFL7662D

LG 42LG3000

Personally I prefer the Samsung but would prefer an expert opinion.

Thanks in advance.

boxrick

Prominent Member
None of the above, they are all older models and been replaced twice in some cases.

Budget, size, viewing choices ( gaming / freeview etc )

Let us know!

ShadeOfGrey

Standard Member
My budget limit is 450 (500 at a push)
37"-42" size
Main use will be as a multimedia display for PC & PS3 but also as TV.

I mentioned the other TV's as they are going for good prices through certain independent sellers.

vickster

Distinguished Member
All old models, and now pretty much obsolete

For your budget, possibles are (although all are lower end/older but just not as old as ^^^ )

SHARP LC37D44EBK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc. (very well regarded in the 26" version, dunno about the 37")

LG 37LH20STARSTAR at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc. (basic but current gen)

LG 37LH30STARSTAR at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc. (if you must have 1080p, you don't mention uses)

Last gen but it is a Samsung Samsung LE37A558P3FXXU with Pedestal Stand plus ** Special Deals ** Available if Purchased With Wallbracket Or Glass Stand EX DISPLAY MODEL

If you hunt, you may also find the 37A457

Or how about a plasma? http://www.dabs.com/products/panasonic-tx-p37c10b-37--plasma-5KKY.html?refs=390510000

Not going to find anything half decent in 40-42" for under £500

Last edited:

ShadeOfGrey

Standard Member
Thanks for your input.

I was just wondering what makes a TV obsolete, I mean obviously the transition from CRT to flat screen rendered the former obsolete, but in terms of HDTV models which come out every few months is there really such a massive difference between them to warrant the extra expenditure?

Monarch

Distinguished Member
In the LCD world you will get huge improvements in motion handling, black levels and SD performance, even if you only go a few generations back, viewing angles have also improved, as have colours. It's less the case with plasma but there are deffinitely improvements, particularly in phosphor trailing/lag on some sets, black levels and versatility in sizes. There are smaller general improvements throughout on all TVs though, deffinitely get a new model, it's worth the extra, sometimes it's not much extra either

vickster

Distinguished Member
As far as I know, they improve the panels, the processing engine (and with it the motion, colours and blacks) - I am not sure the jump from generation to generation is huge, but some of the models you mentioned initially are a few years old and thus, almost certainly less good, £500 will get you a decent 37"

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom