1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which LCD: LG RZ37LZ31 vs PHILIPS 37PF5520D

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by 4bp, Sep 2, 2005.

1. 4bp

4bp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i am looking to buy my first lcd tv. i have decided against a plasma as i have been told that for 37" lcds are the best (please correct me if this is wrong). i have narrowed it down to these 2 37" lcd tvs: PHILIPS 37PF5520D or the LG RZ37LZ31.

has anyone got either of these? what are they like. i cannot seem to find any reviews of either of them. does someone know if there are any reviews anywhere? which one should i go for???

i would appreciate as much help as possible as i am new to this game and have no idea what i should get!!!!

thanks for your help
    dan

2. widebelly

widebelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that Philips uses LG panels as they no longer produce their own. Like you I have yet to decide but am considering the Philips - still haven't actually seen one yet though - heve you?? Has anyone seen it on with a hi def source?

3. 4bp

4bp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i saw the lg in dixons yesterday with high def demo and itwas incredible!!
    but havent seen the phillips.

anyone out there seen the phillips?

4. beginner

beginner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Philips but a 32" and I think it is really good. Can't fault it at the moment. Try the Philips website for the specs or search this site as there are some handy tips about what you are asking.

5. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 37PF5520D and it's excellent. The only flaws are those caused by a crappy input signal and that will be the same on any LCD. A high quality input, eg DVD through component, looks amazing.

I have seen 2 reviews I think, and it got 4/5 and 8/10. Can't recall the sites but I got the links on here somehwere.

6. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Wrong.. ;) 1080 P HD looks Totaly Amazing, DVD Quality is proberly about 25% of that....You have a big Shock comming !!...enjoy

Philips/LG make the LCD Panels for themself's and Others

7. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the 37" LG in action and it looked stunning (Sky Sports running on it), also viewed some HD material running absolutely gob smacking.

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    just because LG make philips panels doesn't mean the panels in those two sets are the same. Just saying...

Anyway, I saw the philips 7520 with a HD feed in comet and it looked just as good, if not a tiny bit better than the samsung and LGs next to it (might have been TV settings). The 7520 should have the same screen as the 5520, but with pixel plus.

But for the same price as a 32" 7520, you can get a 37" 5520. Tempting, but I'd want to check out the 7520 with normal TV for a while first, to see if I could live with it.

Thats the problem with wanting the latest stuff. You'll have to live through the pain of normal TV looking relatively bad before you get the joy of HD

9. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i have the phillips 37PF5520D and totally agree with ian1969uk.

picture is spot on its only let down by the sometimes less than perfect sky picture. i only have pioneer dvd connected via scart and my xbox through rgb scart and i cant fault them.

cant wait for the xbox 360 and high def sky to be launched so i can really appreciate the high picture quality in all its glory

lol

10. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I Think Phillips/Lg Make Lots of Panels, My NEC Monitor has a Philips/LG Panel
    I would think due to the Tooling cost they maybe only have one 37" panel with the top models Just using advanced backlight control etc,etc.
    If you Look at any Philips or LG panel at an angle they both have a Purple "tinge" Suggesting to me they are the same Panel ;)

11. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    saw three LG`s running HI-DEF yesterday, dunno what the source was, dunno if it was 1080i or P or 720P. the 32" looked simply incredible compared with my current 4:3 CRT running free view, the colour, stability and detail sold it for me.. the bigger screens running HD looked awesome due to their size and quality but the 32" was a LOT brighter and sharper, razor sharp in fact :eek:

btw is 32" LCD too big for the bedroom ?? id be sitting around 3meters away.

12. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    No, with a Quality imput You can watch from 1 Meter, With Say Sky Dig You would not want to be less than 2 Meters

Same Deal as always, Smaller Panels will always look Sharper for the same Imput But Feed the Big Panel a good HD Signal and You will be Blown Away !

I have not seen a Shop demo that comes close to the Max quality that these HD sets are capable of..