Which LCD/LED TV would be best for my girlfriend?

tony kop77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend is after a new tv as the room gets a lot sunshine (when the sun is out) I ruled out plasma and go for LCD/LED tv. My girlfriend couldn't tell difference between HD and SD until I pointed out how it looks blurry and pixels more noticeable in SD :rolleyes:.
She was looking at a 46"-50" 3D set for just under £600 but told her she is better off going for a top end 42" set than a bottom end bigger set. I just need help to create a shortlist of 3 tv's then she can chose which she would like.

Viewing distance is about 6ft mainly to watch films, soaps dramas some gaming and I would prefer she got a smart tv (most are these days) with at least 3 HDMI connectors .

Samsung UE40ES654040 LED seems good but hard to find
Buy Samsung UE40ES6540 LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 40 Inch with Freesat/Freeview HD & 2x 3D Glasses online at John Lewis

Trying to convince her to go for this as someone here got it for £700 as John Lewis price match
Buy Panasonic Viera TX-L47ET5B LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 47 Inch with Freeview HD and 4x 3D Glasses online at John Lewis

She liked this but seems people on here are disappointed with this tv
Buy LG 42LM620T LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 42 Inch with Freeview HD and 4x 3D Glasses online at John Lewis

Or there is this, 40" is £50 cheaper but it seems an average set and I thinbk she can get better for the money
Buy Toshiba 46TL968B LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 46 Inch, WiDi with Freeview HD online at John Lewis

She has something like a Becko at the moment and while she is not a gadget geek like me and happy to watch SD I am trying to get her something decent as she does watch a lot of tv enjoys watching films people keep tv's for a while (unless your a member on AV forum ;)) and want her to pay the £100-200 extra and get something decent.

Who's going to be watching it?;) you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.
I understand you want her to have a good set but maybe after pointing out a few things and showing a range of sets she should decide? Getting her to spend more money when she won't see the benefit seems a tad off to me.

What does she want the set for?

Who's going to be watching it?;) you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.
I understand you want her to have a good set but maybe after pointing out a few things and showing a range of sets she should decide? Getting her to spend more money when she won't see the benefit seems a tad off to me.

What does she want the set for?

Thanks for the reply. I don't want her to spend money on a tv then later on wish she had an option for 3D or had spent a couple of hundred more for better picture etc.

She watches drama, netflix, soaps and films. She doesn't have a blu-ray player at the moment but plans to get one in near future although she is using my PS3 at the moment. Room gets a lot of light during the day which rules out plasma and viewing distance is around 6 foot.

Connected tv via ethernet to virgin hub but it wouldn't connect and i noticed there was a lot of reflection on the tv last night just with the lights on so i assume will be worse during the day. My girlfriend has decided to take the tv back for another Toshiba because the ethernet wont work but I am thinking of giving her the extra money and go for the Panasonic Viera TLX47ET5B What do you guys think is the Panasonic a lot better?

I want a tv to have low reflection on screen, 3D compatible, smart tv, deliver stunning picture £700 tops as anything more expensive I dont think she will benefit from as until we dated she couldn't see the difference between SD and HD and she has Apple TV, PS3 etc only because I lent her it as I don't use it much.

Thanks went for the Panasonic 47" with 4 passive glasses and 5 year warranty for £700

hi razzy kopite, where did you get the deal from? RS?

im thinking of changing my old samsung 46" to something simalar size thats more power effecient as its on all day with the kids.

£770 from RS, limited stocks with warranty. John Lewis have for £769

Could try local panasonic independent dealers, warranty is free with in store purchases

going to get a 60" now as we did the measurements and its only a few hundred in it.

hi razzy kopite, where did you get the deal from? RS?

im thinking of changing my old samsung 46" to something simalar size thats more power effecient as its on all day with the kids.

I got it from Waitrose it was labelled £730 I asked if they would price match £700 from Richer Sounds which they did no questions asked the guy told me he would match it as it was an older model and wanted to shift the older models.

you got a good deal.

didnt even know waitrose did tv's as our local is maybe a little smaller and just does food.

Thanks I told her for the money she wont get better as it's 47" with 4 HDMI and a PC connection and 4 pair of 3D passive glasses. 3D looks bright and the screen isnt very reflective unlike the Toahiba she had originally bought.
Our waitrose isn't bad, sells laptops, docking stations, speakers, tv's and blu ray players.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom