• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which LCD for TV and PC?

ORileysMate

Standard Member
Hi all

Sorry if this question has been covered elsewhere - I tried to search for the answers but the huge number of posts on this forum is overwhelming - I know very little about this subject.....

My trusty 10 year old 23" CRT TV has packed up.

I went to my local electronics shop and was surprised to learn that I can buy a 37" LCD TV for the same price I paid for my CRT 10 years ago.

I was also surprised to learn that most of the large LCD TV's are displayed with a card advertising that they can also be connected to a PC. I've reached the conclusion then, that it would be great to be able to see my PC output on a large 37" screen and just have one display for PC and TV.

I spend almost 90% of my time doing photo work on my PC with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop and I'm forever frustrated that I can't fit more on my 19" LCD PC display.

I went out and bought a computer magazine, but there weren't any reviews of LCD displays bigger than 24". I had someone colour calibrate my current PC display with a spyder because it's critical to me that phot colours match on both display and printer output and I wanted to understand this issue in relation to using a larger LCD, but I didn't find the answers.

Can anyone please recommend a large LCD display for both TV and PC?

And from looking at other posts I would be very grateful if someone could please explain the difference between VGA/DVI/HDMI connections, etc.

Thanks, Terry

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
VGA is the analogue connection used on CRTs, DVI is digital, HDMI is DVI with sound and control channels. DVI is probably the best choice if you can get it, HDMI is new and is having a couple of initial teething problems. (and you won't get the extras over DVI unless your graphics card supports it).

TVs tend to be low resolution, a 24" monitor has 1920x1200 resolution while 1920x1080 is found on 32"-37" HD TVs and up, a 30" monitor has 2560x1600 resolution, which isn't matched by any TVs.

Of course, if you want to do this you'll definitely need a full 1080 HD TV. Normal TVs are something really low like 720x480, and 720HD TVs are 1280x720, less resolution that your 19" monitor.

You also need to check that your chosen TV will accept the full resolution through VGA/DVI and that your PC's graphics card can output it.

I don't know how good TVs are for colour critical work either, you can obviously calibrate them if they're connected to a PC but would their image processing or wide gamut muck up the colours?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom