1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which LCD for me

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by snowbhoy, Jul 8, 2005.

1. snowbhoy

snowbhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

Feel like I've hit the motherload of all visual knowldege after a few weeks trawling the net reading review after review.

I'm wondering if you can help me decide on which LCD to go for.

I've a budget of 2k of under and I'm definitely keen to buy an LCD, sometime around sept/october. I'll have sky and will be watching football, regular telly and playing xbox on it . I'd prefer as big as I can get without losing quality, if that's possible.

From browsing the forum it seems like the panasonic TX32LXD500 get's some great reviews, as well as the Toshiba Toshiba 32WL58.

I'd really prfer a 37 inch if this is the way to go, but I don't want to sacrifice to much quality for the bigger size.

Any advice on where I should be looking, or what I should be waiting for is very much appreciated.

2. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, the toshiba is good, but not great, the philips 9986 is very good, the jvc 37 inch that's coming out now looks promising too, but why not take a plasma at 37 inch? Take the panasonic 500 series....

3. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Plasma for gaming????????...... er, screen burn!

4. snowbhoy

snowbhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So after spending a few days trawling through posts I'm getting wiser and no closer to deciding.

Seems like the Panny TX32LXD500 is pretty well recieved, but the new technology from Philips (Aptura) deals with some issues with 'oily' effect watching sports and action movies - but isn't out yet.

How bad are these issues? Is it very noicable, to the point of spoiling your watching or something only the purists would get annoyed at?

5. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I like to think I am quite picky when it comes to quality. In my opinion the Toshibe LCD (37WL56) is a very good set, you just need to drive it with a decent source. Forget Sky boxes, I've yet to see anything close to quality come out of them. I use a pace 'Twin Digital' Freeview box and Pioneer DVD via HDMI. Knocks the spots of any plasma and shouldn't get screen burn ;o)