1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which LCD? 17" or 22"

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Towser23, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Towser23

Towser23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am in the market to buy a new LCD screen for our bedroom and have been looking at many different makes and models. I would like something decent and have shopped around. Originally I was looking at 20" screens but decided after much advice to get a widescreen tv. However I am now torn between getting a Philips 17PF8946 17" or the Sharp LC22SV2E 22".

The Philips screen has many impressive features and is HD ready, however obviously the Sharp has a bigger screen size. The Sharp is priced at nearly £200 more than the Philips. So which do I go for. Do I compromise faetures for a bigger screen size. Bearing in mind that this is a 2nd TV for the bedroom and not our main TV.

Any help and advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Many thanks,

Paul :rolleyes:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Be careful ! Many smaller LCD's are only 15:9, not 16:9, which can result in distorted pictures which make people look very thin, or pictures cropped at the sides. Make sure the spec says 16:9.

3. Towser23

Towser23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have checked this out and the 17" is definitely a 16:9. So any advice on what to go for???

4. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    17" widescreen LCDs are almost universally 15:9 (1280x768 with square pixels), including the Philips. Also, the Philips is not HD-ready as it does not have any HD capable inputs (DVI-HDCP or HDMI input, and component inputs).