Which large size tv (>50") for mainly SD viewing?

Shawkat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for a large size telly - 50" or 55".

70% of time will be watching SD over SKY. 30% of time watching DVDs.

SD viewing is mainly standard tv programmes.

I sit approx 13 feet from screen...straight on.

I like a nice bright screen but will watch majority of movies etc in a darkened atmosphere.

Not fussy about LCD / Plasma. Ideally looking to spend as less as possible - less than 1K would be ideal.
3D would be a bonus.
Mainly i am interested in a good picture quality ( i still have a large CRT).

Ideally from JL to get 5y warranty but can get from anywhere if significantly cheaper.

So...help and advice appreciated. Is the Samsung 6900 an option?

Kind regards

Yes Samsung D6900 is the set to go for, brighter and cheaper than the Panasonics and better than any LCD for the same money.

Thanks Scooby2000.

Any other opinions?

Should i go for the 51" or 59"? Where is the best place to buy from? any offers on at present?

Is it ok to use a plasma tv sporadically - i mean it may have weeks of not being used inbetween heavy usage?

JL have the 51" for 999 with free 5year, best to look on the D6900 owners thread in the plasma section to see any deals people are getting.
Alternatives wise theres the Panasonic 50" GT30 at 1200, the Sony KDL 55EX723 at 1200-1300 and the Samsung 51"D8000 for around 1300.

Plasmas need around 200 hours to bed in, meaning they are more likely to get IR during this time as the phosphors are at their brightest. So for this period you need to avoid high contrast. So if youll have long periods of non use this may take a while but its no real hardship as you're likely not to need contrast right up anyway. What do you mean by heavy use? as long as it doesnt involve static images youll be fine.

Size wise at 13ft Id go as big as you can but youll need to up your budget.....just re-read your first post, for mostly SD 51" will be best, at 13ft though 55" should be ok if you have future plans to watch more HD.

Last edited:
Another option 50" ST30 here Buy Panasonic Viera TX-P50ST30 Plasma HD 1080p 3D TV, 50 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com

Good A/R filter for all round contrast and also good for movie watching late at night
Lacks the brightness of the Samsungs but IMO even in a brightish room it is bright enough for me.
Also loses calibration controls from the other models you mention but IMO the out of the box Cinema/True Cinema presets are very good
Must say it is also "lcd" like with regards to room lighting in that even when all the lights are on in the house the contrast is very good and the blacks looks superb
If you can get one without any of the problems associated with the T range this year they offer good bang for buck

Last edited:
Would i be just as well to save some cash and go with a PS51D550 - there doesnt appear to be much difference from the 6900??

I assume there are no LCD/LED tellys i should be looking at in this price range that will offer the same or better PQ?

Last edited:
Would i be just as well to save some cash and go with a PS51D550 - there doesnt appear to be much difference from the 6900??

I assume there are no LCD/LED tellys i should be looking at in this price range that will offer the same or better PQ?

Think the filter on the D550 isn;t as good for daytime, not sure check on the owners thread
LCD wise cannot help, however sure someone else will be along to assist in that

btw for SD viewing I have been very impressed with my 46" ST30

So between 50" ST30 for £800 or 51" SAMSUNG 6900 for £999 so far....

Any advice on any others i should be considering? Can i get any good deals anywhere as i would be in the market for a good BR player also.

Thanks to everyone for their advice so far!

Nowhere near me has both the 50" ST30 and 51" 6900 on display. Any advice which one i should go for?

Nowhere near me has both the 50" ST30 and 51" 6900 on display. Any advice which one i should go for?

I know, same problem for me
I did manage to compare an ST30 to D550 (I know this doesn't have the same filter as the 6900) though only in a shop
In that environment the St30 won on filter/reflections but the D550 won on overall brightness. They were both side by side
I spent about 5 mins quickly setting them up as best I could in the store, put them both on Movie/Cinema mode with 75% contrast, the Samsung was more washed out in dark scenes, the Panasonic looked very good tbh hard to see my reflection at all, if you didn't have to have any more contrast at home then I would imagine it would be fine but I can't help feeling the Samsung's look brighter/punchier
What to do?:rolleyes:

Hmmm i know difficult choice - ST30 is £200 cheaper too at the moment although the 3D glasses look much cheaper for the Samsung.

Its very close with these two sets. I think though not 100%, Samsungs have better SD scaling, I may be thinking 2010 though. If your environments brtight the D6900 may be better as it can go brighter, The ST30 has a deeper black level though. Have you read the reviews? What stores you looked in? do you not have a sound and vision near, RS, JL? You really do need to see the sets before buying, if not too hung up on black levels I'd prob go with the samsung....Tho the ST30 is a fantastic set too.

I have no S+V or JL or RS near me...options are a currys, comet or a Panasonic shop without the ST30 on disploay.

Have decided to go with the 51" 6900. Now to find a blu-ray player....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom