1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Laptop??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kelvin, Aug 17, 2002.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Apologies if this is the wrong forum but I figured there's got to be at least 1 or 2 people in here that know a thing or two about computers, sooo....

Basically I'm after a laptop for uni work - the spec I'm looking for is something that is at least 1ghz, has a DVD/CD-RW drive (for saving work and watching films - don't particularly want to have my DVD player in uni accommodation :( ), at least 256MB RAM, Wnidows XP, and is under £1100...

I know very little about computers so the question is can I sensibly buy a decent laptop for this price, and can you guys point me in the right direction as to what I should get???!!

Possibilities at the moment seem to be the Toshiba 1800-712 (£1099) and the HP ZT1141 (£998) - any opinions on these? - Are they reasonably priced???

Sorry for so many questions!! Thanks in advance,

Kelvin. :D

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have a look at my thread.. it was HTPC based but the laptop was available last week for £997 from novatech... see the bottom of the thread below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=278407

has exactly the spec you describe... and more.

you only need to get the dvd region free software for about £25 to be region free.

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Excellent - just what I was looking for :)

To be totally honest I hadn't considered going to an "independant" company so to speak - only really looked at the big name brands like Toshiba, HP, Compaq purely for reputation but looking at the prices here I might reconsider!!

How did you find the company in general - are they relatively well established?? Also - what sort of warranty is supplied??

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Kelvin.

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tosh are usually good.. HP okay. Compaq often overpriced.
    you wont get one of this spec from a "brand" name... not a chance, at least another £200-300. dont discount Sony.

not ordered from novatech - just giving you the price since its exactly the model I ordered elsewhere.

you can also pick it up from pc world, dixons, and still I think from mesh and evesham. I've seen it for about the same £999 at pc world.

shop around - its a standard asus oem case so used by quite a few manufacturers.

its also got TV out for those handy backups of DVDs, and very nice VGA output for a projector if you ever went in that direction.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    you could give DELL a call , ring the factory outlet number see what they have.

you will be able to get the specs you want from there and with an inspiron you can get a 15" 1600x1200 screen with a geforce graphics card.

i got a inspiron 8200 with 900hz p3, 256 meg ram, 32gig hdrive, 56k , 10/100 nic, dvd and a cdrw and floppy for just under £1200.
    and that was last year so i guess the price would be less now, or better spec.

mine was one that had been built for a customer and had been cancelled, and they just sell them off cheap to get some money back.

on the dell website the same spec machine totalled just over £2200 so there are deals to be had.

6. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I don't suppose you happen to know the number do you???!! I just looked at the website but couldn't see it - possibly a case of not seeing wood for the trees ;)

Thanks very much for the info - will definitely look into it...

Kelvin.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    the number is 0870 907 5219, you may have to call everyday until they have the machine you want but you will get it within a few days.

the url is
    here .

the deals on the website are never as good as when you call for some reason, and i got them to throw in a spare ac adapter and carry case.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    £1,100.44* P4-1600 15 Inspiron 8200 40Gb (i) - 4200 RPM 128 24X 32MB GeForce 56

that is on there at the momement :)

9. enajh2

enajh2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My local shop in Loughborough Uni Students Union is doing the folowing:-

Presario 705

AMD Athlon, 1Ghz, 256 Ram, 20 Gb, DVD/CDRW, 56k modem, NIC, 14.1" TFT WinXP, Word 2000

£1099 inc. VAT.

Presario 1800ea

Pentium III 1Ghz, 320 ram, 30 Gb, DVD/CDRW, 56K Modem, NIC, 15" TFT, WinME, Word 2000

£1199 inc. VAT

A few other Duron models with less ram for between £800 and £1000.

Phone no. is 01509 210093. Speak to Andy if possible. Bought a older specced Presario 1800 12 months ago from him. All Compaqs have standard 12 months warranty.

Can scan in leaflet later if you want the details for all models all models. Website is www.nikbyte.co.uk but they don't have the stock online.

Alan

10. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Have you looked at the Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop range.

Nobody ever seems to mention this brand but it is well worth a look and offers great value for money.

On top of this, the build quality is great (never found a single dead pixel).

Worth hunting down.

11. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks again guys - will have a look and hopefully find something within the next few days. I'll keep you posted :)