Which laptop?

stephenday

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new laptop - budget £400.

Main uses will be fairly basic, surfing the Web, few videos Netflix etc nothing major. But will also be looking to use it for mid range games such as eve online.

After some lengthy searching and spec comparisons for the last few days I've rounded it down to 2 laptops below.

HP 250 G4 Core i5-6200U 8GB 128GB SSD 15.6 Inch Windows 10 64-bit Laptop - Laptops Direct

NX.MVMEK.011 | Acer Aspire E5-573G Core i5-4210U 4GB 1TB GeForce 920M 2GB 15.6 Inch Windows 10 Lapto - Laptops Direct

I'm more than happy to upgrade the ram. I'm aware that the Intel 520 in the hp laptop would benefit greatly from this (the description says 8gb but I think it comes with 4gb).

Likewise.. I would consider putting an ssd in the Acer.

Any advice on which of the 2 is likely to perform better, specifically for the eve online gaming, would be greatly appreciated. Or if you have anything you think might suit better in my £400 budget. I'm looking for new only, not willing to risk second hand or refurbished. Had bad experiences with both.

Thanks,

Steve

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
There's also the i3-5157U equipped HP Pavilion 15 for £350 which uses the next model up of Intel's graphics compared with the HD 520, albeit from a generation earlier.

Which of the three is fastest depends on the game. The 920M probably has the edge graphically, but the 4210U is the slowest CPU. You would have to find Eve benchmarks on those or similar chips to get a definitive answer.

nespresco

The 920m is a really low end GPU and it doesn't offer much over skylake integrated graphics besides additional power consumption. If EVE runs well on one it would likely run well on the other, assuming the haswell cpu wouldn't be a bottleneck. What sort of performance (resolution/settings/frame rate) are you hoping for?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom