Which laptop should I get?

ajever01

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a laptop around the $800 range. The main aspects I'm looking at is durability/longevity, processing and overall speed, and functionality. Factors such as gaming, sound, video aren't too big of a deal for me. I'll be going on to law school next year and am wanting a laptop that I will be able to rely upon for the next 5 years at least. Below are three options that I have found so far, if anyone could chime in and let me know which you feel is my best option and the reasoning behind that choice I would really appreciate it. Or if you know of any other laptops (besides Apple) feel free to suggest them!

Sony - 15.5" VAIO E Series Laptop - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Silver - SVE15115FXS

Sony VAIO Performance Laptop | VAIO S Series 13.3" Laptop | SVS13112FXS | Sony USA

HP ProBook 5330m Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) | HP® Official Store

I can't imagine something like that being particularly robust, what do you reckon the failure rate would be after 5 years of daily use? 10%?

I would focus on the business laptop ranges - HP probooks, Dell Latitudes, (most) Lenovo Thinkpads and so on. I don't think you get the lower cost Toshiba Tecras over there (you've linked to US stores so I'm assuming you're in the US and those are US dollars).

I don't know what the usual situation is like over there but any models with a two or three year warranty as standard are probably going to be better built than average.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom