Which laptop? Roughly £500 budget

Jab165

Looking for some advice in regards to buying a new laptop. I've copied my post from reddit which only one person replied to.
I'm currently using a Fujitsu lifebook series A, it is a rather heavy, the battery is nearly done on it and it freezes at times.

• Total budget: £500 roughly but potentially go as high as £600
  • Are you open to refurbs/used?-No
  • How would you prioritize form factor (ultrabook, 2-in-1, etc.), build quality, performance, and battery life?-Performance, battery life, build quality, form factor
  • How important is weight and thinness to you?-Quite important, using a heavy lifebook series A at the moment which is a chunky beast
  • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.-Current is 15.6 inches so I would like to stick with that
  • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.-General internet browsing, I do like to have a lot of tabs open in chrome at once. Also working at home at the moment so using Microsoft Word and Excel a good bit. I may potentially use drum software such as EZ drummer in the future but as far as I'm aware the requirements aren't high for it.
  • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?-It might be nice to play some nostalgic games (for me) such as Battlefield 2, Flatout Ultimate Carnage, Portal 1 and 2 but I won't be playing the latest games on this as I have a PS4 and a Switch which take up enough time.
  • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?-I do still buy CDs so an optical drive might be useful but guessing it might be better to buy an external one for the few times I need it? A finger print reader would be nice if it can be used for passwords online. Would also be good to have a web cam. HDMI output is required for whenever I need to connect my laptop to a TV.
I would like the screen to be very good quality, full HD and not reflective.
Any help is much appreciated!

Atomic77

I am not am not sure what your budget is in US Dollars as I am not familier with your currency. Depending on what you want from a new laptop I would look at really good companies such as HP. I am sorry I could not really be of more help.

tickedon

If you're prepared to go above £500, you move away from the Core i3 / Ryzen 3 processors and into the mid-range, which given your prioritising of performance I'd recommend.

A couple of options that are a good mix of price and performance that are worth looking at (or as a yardstick to measure other laptops against):

I think the Lenovo and Ryzen is probably better on the graphics front when it comes to the older games you want to play.

If you're prepared to pay a bit more still, you can get an older model that has a dedicated graphics chip as well as a 'H' model processor - across both Intel and AMD, 'H' are designed for performance at expense of battery life, whereas the 'U' series are designed for battery life and smaller chassis.

Last edited:

Atomic77

The Laptop I got from Costco is a Ryzen 5 from HP and was $599.99. its also a 17.3 inch touch screen.

Jab165

If you're prepared to go above £500, you move away from the Core i3 / Ryzen 3 processors and into the mid-range, which given your prioritising of performance I'd recommend.

A couple of options that are a good mix of price and performance that are worth looking at (or as a yardstick to measure other laptops against):

I think the Lenovo and Ryzen is probably better on the graphics front when it comes to the older games you want to play.

If you're prepared to pay a bit more still, you can get an older model that has a dedicated graphics chip as well as a 'H' model processor - across both Intel and AMD, 'H' are designed for performance at expense of battery life, whereas the 'U' series are designed for battery life and smaller chassis.

Thank you, I've started to lean more towards the Lenovo. To be honest gaming really isn't a priority. I have a long list of games to get through on the PS4 and Switch.

Atomic77

I personally have never had a Lenovo PC or Laptop. I have heard some iffy things about them. But I suppose you will find that with all well known brands.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I personally have never had a Lenovo PC or Laptop. I have heard some iffy things about them. But I suppose you will find that with all well known brands.
Like with every brand there are many different price points and target audiences. Lenovo bought the PC business from IBM, and in 2014, they also bought their server business. I would not have any issue buying laptops from their Thinkpad range.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom