Question which laptop for Lightroom & general usage

DJM1976

Hi all,

I am looking to get another laptop that will mainly mainly be used for editing Raw files at home but also portable enough to take on holiday with me, so that I can save files in individual folders on a daily basis & maybe do a bit post processing while on the train & maybe watch a movie.

My current home laptop a HP i5 Probook is superb for lightroom but is too heavy to be shifting around on trains etc, so figured that a more portable one would be ideal. I was originally looking at the portable elitebook range but was put off by things like tiny touch pads & on some low voltage models that use a 1.8" hdd, which can make it really expensive to put in a decent capacity SSD / SSHD.

At this present time, I don't use processor abusing Photoshop, as I only do my picture editing in Lightroom. I have no interest in video editing.

I know there are other makes like Dell / Asus / Lenovo etc, but don't know that much about their reliability.

If anyone can advise then that would be great.

What is your budget? About £300, yes I know that is extremely budget but my current i5 Probook was bought for £200 from a Refurb company in February 2014 and is still going strong.

What size laptop do you want?
Up to 14"

Do you have resolution requirements?
Enough for Lightroom and maybe the odd H264 file / Sky go / Netflix.

Do you prefer a matte or glossy
(reflective) screen?

Either

What will you be using the laptop for?
Browsing, Lightroom, media playback.

If you will be gaming, what games do you need to play?.

Flash based games like Candy Crush

How long does the battery need to last?. Enough for say 6hrs on lengthy train journeys.

Does it need to be portable?
Yes

Do you require Blu-Ray?
No I hardly use any form of Optical drive & would get more use from putting in a second HDD in the Optical drive bay. My desktop and other laptop has DVDRW, so can easily transfer files over my network to burn if need be.

Do you require HDMI output?
No

Do you have a preferred brand?
HP as I have been really happy with mine. But am open to other makes

Are there brands you would prefer to avoid? Acer as have really been unlucky with them in the past

Would you be happy with a refurbished laptop?
Yes my current laptop is a Refurb from SCC trade & wouldn't hesitate in getting another from them or from another company.

Any other details you feel necessary...

I am not too bothered about HDD size etc as will be putting in a SSHD as soon as I am able to. Just need enough processing power & memory for the listed tasks.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
My current home laptop a HP i5 Probook is superb for lightroom but is too heavy to be shifting around on trains etc, so figured that a more portable one would be ideal. I was originally looking at the portable elitebook range

What are you after specifically? Probook and Elitebook are both ranges so it's difficult to judge what you're after without knowing whether you're downsizing from a 17" 3.5kg machine or a 15" 2.25kg machine.

I know there are other makes like Dell / Asus / Lenovo etc, but don't know that much about their reliability.

Generally it seems to come down to model rather than make. Everyone makes fairly flimsy £300 laptops, everyone makes pretty solid £1000 laptops. I wouldn't discount Acer entirely unless your bad experiences were with their higher end business laptops.

What is your budget? About £300, yes I know that is extremely budget but my current i5 Probook was bought for £200 from a Refurb company in February 2014 and is still going strong.

How long does the battery need to last?. Enough for say 6hrs on lengthy train journeys.

You may want to research replacement batteries then as many second hand laptop batteries will have been mistreated and aged very fast, that is lost a good chunk of their original capacity.

For 6 hours I'd be looking at machines that take a 70Wh+ battery, although you may be able to get away with slightly less.

DJM1976

What are you after specifically? Probook and Elitebook are both ranges so it's difficult to judge what you're after without knowing whether you're downsizing from a 17" 3.5kg machine or a 15" 2.25kg machine.

I am after something lighter than my 15.6" 6570b Probook that weighs just over 6lb, so either downsizing to a lighter Probook or elitebook would be good, if I decide to stick with HP, as both those are built really well. You make some great points about the other manufacturers & higher capacity batteries.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom