Question Which laptop for general use?

AdamD10

Novice Member
Wife and I looking for a home laptop for general use (surfing, office work, online teaching during covid etc) and am really struggling to find the right one. We don’t want to spend a fortune and were stung last year with a ‘bargain’ acer aspire 3 which turned out to be really slow and clunky. Want something fast, smooth and future proofed so it won’t need to be replaced for 5 years. Minimum 8gb ram, intel i5 processors and 512gb ssd. Best so far is the below, thoughts?

jimscreechy

The Laptop above is definitely a good buy which should last you for the five years in terms of performance for what you need (though you may want to take out an extended warranty) but I'm more interested in the Acer you bought last year.

Slow and clunky is not what I have come to hear or expect from Acer devices, and that should still be good for another 2-3 years. It may have a fault or an issue with the OS/software. At any rate can you post the spec here so we have a better idea of how it should be performing.

If there is an issue maybe you could save some money getting that remedied instead of buying a new device.

AdamD10

Novice Member
The Laptop above is definitely a good buy which should last you for the five years in terms of performance for what you need (though you may want to take out an extended warranty) but I'm more interested in the Acer you bought last year.

Slow and clunky is not what I have come to hear or expect from Acer devices, and that should still be good for another 2-3 years. It may have a fault or an issue with the OS/software. At any rate can you post the spec here so we have a better idea of how it should be performing.

If there is an issue maybe you could save some money getting that remedied instead of buying a new device.
Great, thanks.
Specs of the Acer:
4gb ram
1TB hard drive (unsure if SSD)
AMD A9-9420e Radeon r5 processor

I installed an extra 8gb of RAM which helped a bit, but not as much as I’d expect.

It was £330 and clearly a very budget machine. I’ve managed to sell it and has depreciated by 30% on cost so not a terrible outcome. We had two really old laptops lying around which we’ve sold so all the proceeds are 90% of the cost of the HP one so we’re cutting our losses and getting it.

Keen to hear what you think of the specs though.

jimscreechy

Well the CPU isn't really that good, that's for sure, and the 1gb drive was definately hdd, so understandably it was a bit of a crawler. An SSD would probably have improved things significantly but it wasn't a great machine to start with.

Well all in the past now since it's been sold. Moving forward the new machine is a pretty good spec and should be fine.

AdamD10

Novice Member
Well the CPU isn't really that good, that's for sure, and the 1gb drive was definately hdd, so understandably it was a bit of a crawler. An SSD would probably have improved things significantly but it wasn't a great machine to start with.

Well all in the past now since it's been sold. Moving forward the new machine is a pretty good spec and should be fine.
Yeah agreed. I penny pinched and thought it would be fine for her needs but I was never happy with it from day 1, but once you open a product from Argos it’s game over for a refund. It was in the midst of the pandemic and stocks were low everywhere so is what it is. Got a good price for it and shifted some old machines so the new one cost us £100 all in, not bad. Set up today and started using it, it’s fantastic - absolutely lightning and slick in comparison!

It’s a life lesson - wise to spend a bit more sometimes for future proofing and quality. Ironic really as I am an iPhone and iPad user yet tried to penny pinch on a laptop!!

jimscreechy

:thumbsup:

I think it's safe to say its a lesson we all learn... learn again, then continue to learn yet again as we go through life.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom