1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Kodak?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by CaRlosTHeJaCKal, Dec 18, 2002.

1. CaRlosTHeJaCKal

CaRlosTHeJaCKal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at buying a decent cheap digital camera as a stopgap until I can buy a decent (SLR or SLR style) machine in the summer. I'm looking at buying one of the Kodak refurbs, but am torn between two models and was wondering if anyone could help me choose between them.

The models are the 3Mp DC3700 or the 2Mp DC 3600 zoom. The prices are identical, the only differences being that the smaller Mp machine has an optical zoom facility. Anyone recommend whether the extra Mp is better than the zoom? I'm torn. The 3700 has digital zoom btw.

Majority of stuff I do is family/portrait/candid, but I do like to get a bit creative and do the odd landscape/sunset.

Thanks in advance....

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Go for the 3mp, you can zoom by using your feet!:)

My sister has a 2mp Kodak and I have a 3mp Nikon, the extra resolution makes a big difference.

FWIW if you are thinking of buying a DSLR in the summer I would kick the stop-gap Kodak idea into touch and save your money. I have a Canon D30, which although only a 3mp knocks my Nikon into a cocked hat. Colour fidelity, noise levels and artifacts are a pain in the neck on consumer level digicams. Then again, maybe I'm being picky, I just wanted a point and shoot DSLR camera to replace my EOS300 for holiday snaps etc.

3. CaRlosTHeJaCKal

CaRlosTHeJaCKal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gary, your reply is much appreciated. The thought of "manual zoom" hadn't occurred, so that would make the 3Mp option much better.

As for the D30, not having a load of old Canon lenses knocking about does make it a bit of a non-starter unfortunately. The image samples I've found online, especially at dpreview.com, do make it look extremely tempting, though the price, plus lenses, do take it a little out of my price range. Despite remortgaging next year, if my buying a camera denies "She who will be obeyed" her new kitchen, my life won't be worth living, so I can't really justify it (plus I want some tattoo work done:)).

For a 20th of the price of the Canon, the 3700 may be the ideal comprimise. For the moment:D

Thanks again.
    C.

4. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Gary. Why bother spending two or three hndred, just to lose money when you upgrade in the summer?

If you still want to go for a "cheapy", I would look at the Canon 3 meg digitals. They look rather nice, I've played with the new Ixus and it was superb.

5. CaRlosTHeJaCKal

CaRlosTHeJaCKal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm, 'cos these are just over a ton, and I'm sure I could probably sell it for the same if and when I come to upgrade, or failing that, give it to the kids to play with - my eldest daughter has just started her art GCSE and was wanting to play with photoshop with photo's of her own, so it may be an ideal comprimise as I said....

I'm remortgaging in the summer, so whatever cash is left from the home improvements we're doing, will be my budget for a camera (as well as some ink!) among other things, but I've got a bit of cash spare now for a cheap digital to play with. And I didn't think just over a hundred quid was bad for a 3.1Mp camera?