Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which Kameleon to go for?!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by leesbriggs, Sep 20, 2003.

1. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I am interested in the OFA6 KAMELEON(European version). I am in the UK. I have, however, just come across the new kameleon 8, which only seems to be available in the US. I like the look of that alot more than the UK one.

My question is, if I buy the kameleon 8 from the US, will I be able to control my SONY DAV-S880 home cinema, my PACE SKY+ box and my SONY TV with it and will I get support from the UK support team?

Also, if it does support the above, where's the best place to get it from?

Thanks for your help.

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the kameleon and i strongly advise that you try it if possible before you buy

It eats up batteries like no ones business and can be quite annoying to use at times

3. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The US model is loaded with codes for the US market, the UK market generally uses a completely different set of codes, so my guess is that you would get frustrated with a US remote, unless you had a way of adding the codes you need.

To that end, there is the JP1 project, which does indeed let you add codes to One For All remotes.

If you still decide to get the US model, I have one left that I can sell you. It costs $69 US and shipping to the UK would be $15. (that's a total of about 50 quid). I would also recommend that you get a JP1 cable and Kameleon pogo-pin adapter from http://www.hovisdirect.com or http://jp1.filebug.com so you can add whatever codes you need.

4. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just to let you know, I have now purchased a UK kameleon 6. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

5. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    time to return to this. I seek a single remote, for WAF reasons if nothing else, that would both control the Toshiba 32ZD26 telly and the Pace D/1000T digibox that is used for the TeleWest cable service. For InfraRed 'red-eye?' reasons I understand this means that the Kameleon, rather than the ever popular Pronto, is the one I should go for. Is that still the case?

I would probably also be interested in it controlling the Toshiba SD510 dvd player and the Denon AV2802 receiver, and mabe even the Panny F55 vcr, but that would all be bonus.

6. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I don't believe the Pronto is able to control the Pace yet, you are not limited to just a Kameleon. Most OFA remotes have the Pace code, and if you get an upgradeable remote, even if it lacks the code, you can add it over the phone or the web.

There is also a DIY option which lets you avoid those high cost toll calls to the Netherlands to get the upgrades. There is a DIY process called JP1 which you can use to add codes to OFA remotes yourself.

7. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to give anyone who is interested an update, I can report that the remote is EXCELLENT! I've never had a universal remote before, but this is perfect. It FULLY controls the Sky + and sony TV and I got an update of the net for my sony davs 880.

It does light up very easily, i.e. by just breathing on it! Could make the batteries die very quickly, but I have two sets of high powered rechargeables ready and waiting.

The best bit about it is I only spent £34 inc P+P for it from ebay. Brand new but no box, so very happy!!!:D