Which Jukebox for Dune HD?

JDCFH

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Which of the JukeBox systems is the easiest to setup and use?

Do you have to find all artwork and info for each film like you do with albums in say Itunes?

Any help or advice will be gratefully received :D

I tried a few and stayed with Zappiti, it works pretty well and the scraping is good.

+2. Works well & artwork looks great. The Android app DMC also works with it.

Another Zappiti user here ;)
It was the first program I tried and just liked it so never looked any further, but Yadis 2, MyMovies and a few others are also very popular.

Zappiti and AFAIK all the others automatically download the pictures and synopsis info from websites such as IMDB & TVDB, so you only need to manual edit the info if you want to.

Mark.

Thanks guys ill have a look and see if i can get it running without to much messing about.

I found Zappiti easy to setup, but some do find it a little tricky. But there are a lot of us that use it so just ask if you have any problems.
A little out of date now, but this guide to setting up Zappiti is good - Guide: Setting Up Zappiti For the Dune

Mark.

Name all films exactly as they are listed on IMDB.com and Zappiti should have no problems finding them. For films that are or have a remake adding the year in brackets at the end also helps, ie Ocean's Eleven (2001) and Ocean's Eleven (1960).
If you have any trouble getting a film to scrape then you can also use the tt ID that you find at the end of the IMDB address for that film, ie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054135/ just name it as tt0054135.iso for Ocean's Eleven (1960)

Mark.

Name all films exactly as they are listed on IMDB.com and Zappiti should have no problems finding them. For films that are or have a remake adding the year in brackets at the end also helps, ie Ocean's Eleven (2001) and Ocean's Eleven (1960).
If you have any trouble getting a film to scrape then you can also use the tt ID that you find at the end of the IMDB address for that film, ie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054135/ just name it as tt0054135.iso for Ocean's Eleven (1960)

Mark.

Thanks again.

Most of my films are already on my Dune is it easier to set up with the dune linked to my P.C as a hard drive and build it through that?

The guide I've found seems to assume media is not on the Dune?

Guide: Setting Up Zappiti For the Dune

All my .ISO rips are just on the root of a 2TB hard drive and i have a 2GB memory stick installed as system storage?

Just want something simple.

Having the media on an internal HDD should work fine. However you need to create some subfolders to make life easier. I would put all media into a Video folder below a media folder, ie \media\video. You can then set Zappiti to export to the \media folder and it will then just find all the video files in the \video subfolder once you create the path to the \video folder in the Zappiti config screen.

Obviously you can name the folders as you want them, but I suggest you keep the names logical to make life easier. You can also make separate subfolders for TV, DVD, BluRay etc as required.

Mark.

Final question...

If I add new media to my Dune will Zappiti auto update or do I need to keep rebuilding database every now and then?

Final question...

If I add new media to my Dune will Zappiti auto update or do I need to keep rebuilding database every now and then?

you'll have to export to Dune every time, this is the only thing that is a real pain with Zappiti as it takes so long.

you'll have to export to Dune every time, this is the only thing that is a real pain with Zappiti as it takes so long.

Thanks for this reason I think I'll leave it.

Do any auto update?

MyMovies is doing auto-update and folder monitoring, but is really complicated to use...

yadis is not doing auto-update, but the export is very fast (takes 3 min for 200 movies + 100 episodes)

So if i did set up Zappiti if i add anything i then would have to rebuild from scratch on P.C and re-import to dune each time?

This is the beauty of the WDTV. It just takes care of it all for you. I simply couldn't be bothered with the faffing on my Dune. I also don't like the way Zappiti only presents DVD case covers - I much rather have a list of titles with a thumbnail alongside.

Last edited:
So if i did set up Zappiti if i add anything i then would have to rebuild from scratch on P.C and re-import to dune each time?

Unfortuantely so. If you only have movies that's not too bad, but for TV episodes it will take a screenshot of each episode and if you have 3000+ TV episodes like me it can take a while. That said, I update the Database about once or twice a week and usually let the PC churn away at night to do that.

If I really want to watch one of the new films or episodes that haven't been updated yet, I just play them via smb. So no real loss, you just don't get the pretty pictures before you press play :)

I do hope Dune implement the promised integrated Video Wall and scraper soon though... :rolleyes:

If you don't use the 'seen/unssen' feature in Zappiti then it only exports the changes rather than everything. So adding 2 or 3 films should take less than a minute to export again.

Mark.

If you don't use the 'seen/unssen' feature in Zappiti then it only exports the changes rather than everything. So adding 2 or 3 films should take less than a minute to export again.

Mark.

I don't use it, or better said I don't need that functionality. How do I disable it?

Mark.

I don't use it, or better said I don't need that functionality. How do I disable it?

wouldn't mind knowing that as well...... the only thing I've noticed is display seen/unseen which is unticked on mine and it still takes ages to export each time

Click on 'Configure' and select the 'Other' tab. Then remove the tick from 'Display seen/unseen state'.

Mark.

If I have my dune connected to my network is there anyway I can set Zappiti up across network instead of connecting dune to p.c via usb?

FileZilla can see my Dune over network and I can add files to it that way but my media is all stored on the Dunes internal HDD

Yes, Zappiti will export to any HDD it can see regarless of if it is on your network or locally attached to the PC.
I run Zappiti on my PC but store all my rips on my server which is only connected to the network, so no USB connection between them.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom