1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which JS Tech box for my panasonic plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JamieD, Jan 9, 2003.

1. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I currently am the proud owner of the JS Tech RGB2VGA box, thru which I route everything.... DVD, NTL, and game consoles.

The problem is that the PC input only allows certain tv modes (16:9, 4:3 or Zoom), so for 4:3 playback I have a choice of stretched 16:9, losing half the picture with Zoom or risking 4:3 - with all the dire warnings the manual gives about using 4:3, especially using the default (high) side bar system!

My current thinking is to keep the VGA box for DVD playback, which may be phased out for a component prog scan one in the future, AND buy a JS RGB2Component box and a switch to route everything else through that. This way I will get to use the Just mode for 4:3 stuff.

Ohh! A third way... a cheaper JS solution, the RGB to S-Video box. I could route my NTL cable thru' it and use the s-video input. I've got s-video cables for most of my games consoles so I could use my amp for s-video switching

Any other alternatives?

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have the best solution.

Illuminate the side panels in 4:3 mode if you are concerned, or watched stretched (which is what I do).

BTW, I have the component convertor... its good, but I never use Just anyway.

Save the money and start saving for a Progressive Scan DVD to go into your component connections.

James

3. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I noticed a warning on illuminating the side panels to max, is there a recommended/optimal setting?

Thanks for the rest of the advice James.

If I used component wouldn't it be able to detect different video modes automatically using Panasonic Auto? So 16:9 stuff will be 16:9 and 4:3 stuff will switch into whatever your preference (possibly Just). Or do I still need to use the Aspect button?

4. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No there is no auto in Component. Just is the only extra you get. You need to use the Aspect button.

I don't use 4:3 myself, I rarely notice the stretch. But I have set it to grey as opposed to white.

Kind Regards,

James

5. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If you are so worried about watching 4x3 broadcasts with the panel, what do you do when you watch a DVD movie that is 2.35:1, i.e has borders at the top and bottom of the screen. Surely this is just as bad!!

6. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any non illumination of the same area of screen will cause that part of the screen to appear brighter over a long period of time. If you only watch 2.35:1 movies on the screen and no other ratios it would be a problem, just as if you watch all of your TV in 4:3.

But most people watch a wide variety of formats within the 16:9 aspect mode and so this isn't a concern. What is a concern is putting the display in 4:3 mode and leaving it there, and that is why you can illuminate the bars if you wish.

James