Which jailbreak and unlock software do I need?

Zorba_8

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've read the sticky re jail breaking and unlocking and was fairly confident that I'd jailbroken and unlocked my iPhone, I've tried my friend's sim and I'm getting 'no service' on the home page.

On referring back to the sticky and looking at the associated pages and hyperlinks I'm becoming more and more confused - especially as I thought I'd cracked it!

I've got a 3GS running iOS 5.1.1 on modem firmware 05.16.05, model MC637B.

If I restore from iTunes and start over or before I do is it worth running another unlocking software?

If starting from scratch, I would very much appreciate links to the jailbreak and unlocking version I need (running windows vista).

Many thanks in advance
Mike

would be helpful if you list what you have tried and the steps to see what you have missed - if anything...

would be helpful if you list what you have tried and the steps to see what you have missed - if anything...

Hi, thanks for your reply, I'll post the two weblinks to the jailbreaking guide and unlocking that I used last night - they're saved on my favorites toolbar.

I have a suspicion that the jailbreak went OK but i used this guide to unlock the phone:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock the iPhone 3G, 3GS Using BlackSn0w

It states that you must be on the 05.11.07 baseband but my phone is on 05.16.05.

I'll post the jailbreak guide later.

I did pop into the city centre and asked at a place that does unlocking and they quoted £55 and 10 day to unlock!!!!

After some deliberation I'm going to revert back to the factory setting and t-mobile are going to send an official unlock code from apple.

How do I restore my phone to factory default without bricking it?

I've read that cydia needs to be deleted before attempting to restore the phone?

Just plug into iTunes and restore
That'll return to factory settings and remove the jailbreak

Just plug into iTunes and restore
That'll return to factory settings and remove the jailbreak

Thanks, are you sure this won't brick my phone as I've heard that performing a restore without removing cydia first can render the phone useless.

Zorba_8 said:
Thanks, are you sure this won't brick my phone as I've heard that performing a restore without removing cydia first can render the phone useless.

Done it loads of times. Restore

w3dal said:
Done it loads of times. Restore

Now doing it. Removed cydia first now following the restore instructions in the sticky. Fingers crossed. Shame it restores and updates. I'll have to run iOS 6 now.

Waste of time giving advice when you went your own way lol
Removing cydia first would of caused you more problems.

localboy27 said:
Waste of time giving advice when you went your own way lol
Removing cydia first would of caused you more problems.

Sorry! I was stressing about getting it right! The restore worked ok thankfully!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom