Which iTrip Works ?

monkeyleader

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey - so I'm looking to get myself an iTrip / FM radio jobby for me 3G iPhone. I read somewhere not all worked due to the phone / network connections.

Anyone got one that works - any recommendations?

Nige

The latest one, launched in the last couple of months is the Griffin iTrip Auto Pilot;

T3 Article

iPhonic

I believe that works with the 3G model.

I'd be interested to read how youself (and others) get on as I've successfully used FM transmitters in the past with other MP3 players.

EDIT: Here's confirmation that it works from an owner on the Apple support forums.

3G Owner confirmation

Last edited:
I think generally they all work, but becasue of the phones mobile connections it gets bad interferrance.

i was at a mates on sat who had a very basic old itrip, it worked fine as long as i turned plane mode on.

double post

Hey - so I'm looking to get myself an iTrip / FM radio jobby for me 3G iPhone. I read somewhere not all worked due to the phone / network connections.

Anyone got one that works - any recommendations?

Nige

I use the itrip as mentioned.It works great with my 1st generation iphone and my new 3g iphone.Sound quality is as good as my car,s cd player and when a call comes through it mutes the music you are listening to meaning I can then safely take call through my apple bluetooth earpiece.The smartscan facility is good because occasionally if you are on a long drive you can get a little interference on the chosen fm station you are on...smartscan gives you 3 alternatives at all timesto change to.I can recommend this and it only cost me £30 from Amazon!Check link as follows: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-iTrip-Auto-Transmitter-Smartscan/dp/B0010X5I0S

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
so did we figure out one which puts your calls thru the stereo? or do they all require you to use a headset for the call part of the process?

I can comfirm that this one http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripauto the itrip Auto will work with the G3 but it won't charge it :(

itripauto_1.jpg

I use the itrip as mentioned.It works great with my 1st generation iphone and my new 3g iphone.Sound quality is as good as my car,s cd player and when a call comes through it mutes the music you are listening to meaning I can then safely take call through my apple bluetooth earpiece.The smartscan facility is good because occasionally if you are on a long drive you can get a little interference on the chosen fm station you are on...smartscan gives you 3 alternatives at all timesto change to.I can recommend this and it only cost me £30 from Amazon!Check link as follows: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-iTrip-Auto-Transmitter-Smartscan/dp/B0010X5I0S

Does it also charge the 3g iphone during use?

Cheers

I've also discovered my Bose sound dock won't charge my 3G iphone :suicide: not a happy camper!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
According to Griffin's website none of the iTrip devices are fully compatible with iPhone 3G;

Griffin iPhone 3G Product List

I had previously read the, "iTrip AutoPilot" was. Also what's with the confusing naming of these devices by Griffin with iTrip Auto mentioned by gken74 above being a completely different unit?

iTrip AutoPilot only listed for original iPhone

Keano,

I think I may have found out today what the problem is with the 3G iphones not charging with the existing itrips after I called Bose to order a new cradle holder for my SoundDock to fit my 3G and during the call the CS agent I was speaking to advised that the SoundDock won't charge the iphone due to Apple re-positioning the power connector on the PCB but they are working on a fix to sort it and will offer it to all their customers FOC :clap:

Apple why did you do this :suicide: not very helpful to all the people who've spent money buying lots of different accessories for the older ipods/iphones.

Anyway thought I'd share and sorry if you already knew this

cheers
G

It does look like it would do the trick from the spec - does it work with the 3G tho?

It does look like it would do the trick from the spec - does it work with the 3G tho?

i guess we'll only know if someone bites the bullet and buys one, i'm very tempted, its only £20 and could be returned if its not 3g compatable.

CKFMIPHONE1.jpg

EDIT: i've just ordered one, will post a review when it comes

Last edited:
Apple why did you do this :suicide: not very helpful to all the people who've spent money buying lots of different accessories for the older ipods/iphones.
Apple created a sensible system call ADB in 1986. Then they created a brilliant system called Firewire. Wintel saw that it was good and was afraid, so made cheap and cheerful USB and forced it onto PC's, while spoiling firewire with the powerless 4 pin connector variant. Still nobody used USB. So Apple announced the original iMac which had USB and nothing else. Suddenly there was a commercial market for USB devices because iMac users had no choice. Apple is the only company that can kick start new technologies in the market. (see also 3.5 inch floppy, SCSI, WiFi, multimedia CDROMs)

Originally, iPod was Firewire only; charging through firewire. Then it was USB or Firewire; charging from either. So the dock connector accepts both power alternatives. iPods haven't used firewire for years, but could still use a firewire charger. Finally the firewire charging on the dock is gone.

Accessory makers have had years to change over, but some haven't done so.

Pinout

Edit: I'm sure you could do something with a resistor and a Zener diode and a soldering iron (firewire 12-15V charging; USB 5V)

Last edited:
well i actually recived this yesterday, and had a few mins to try it out..

the main thing is....

It DOES charge the iphone.. both old model and 3G

it transmits music fine, really good quality actually, heard i few beeps, probably from the phone, and i didnt get to try the hands free phone.

overall quite impressed

i guess we'll only know if someone bites the bullet and buys one, i'm very tempted, its only £20 and could be returned if its not 3g compatable.

http://www.italkonline.co.uk/images/CKFMIPHONE1.jpg

EDIT: i've just ordered one, will post a review when it comes
I've bought one. Got it from Ebay for £16. It works very well with my 3g iphone indeed, quite inpressed. Only 2 little issues with it. When ur listening to music i keep getting a random beep, not sure why can be annoying. Also its not very robust. The clamps that clamp the phone in can break if your heavy handed like me so i suggest you be a bit carefull with it and dont change the setting much. Hope this helps:D

Last edited by a moderator:

I've tried my 3G with my wife's itrip auto, knowing it wouldn't charge.

When I plug it in I get the message saying the accessory was not designed for iphone and click dismiss.

When I try and play any music - it just plays through the iphone speaker, not through the itrip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've bought one. Got it from Ebay for £16. It works very well with my 3g iphone indeed, quite inpressed. Only 2 little issues with it. When ur listening to music i keep getting a random beep, not sure why can be annoying. Also its not very robust. The clamps that clamp the phone in can break if your heavy handed like me so i suggest you be a bit carefull with it and dont change the setting much. Hope this helps:D

Ive just ordered one too. Ill let you know if i have the 'beep' issue. Im off to france next week so needed a charger and itrip that worked!!!:rolleyes:

Ive just ordered one too. Ill let you know if i have the 'beep' issue. Im off to france next week so needed a charger and itrip that worked!!!:rolleyes:

Wish I'd read this sooner as I'm currently in France and I ended up having to bring my old 20gb ipod to use in the car with my old itrip as well as my iphone.

I've tried my 3G with my wife's itrip auto, knowing it wouldn't charge.

When I plug it in I get the message saying the accessory was not designed for iphone and click dismiss.

When I try and play any music - it just plays through the iphone speaker, not through the itrip.

It played though my car speakers no bother, I probably wouldn't have heard it other wise with the case on.

well i actually recived this yesterday, and had a few mins to try it out..

the main thing is....

It DOES charge the iphone.. both old model and 3G

it transmits music fine, really good quality actually, heard i few beeps, probably from the phone, and i didnt get to try the hands free phone.

overall quite impressed

What does the cradle attach too? If it just sticks out of the ciggie light then it might get in the way of the gear lever in my car.

I received mine this morning. £13 + £5 p&p off of Ebay.

Its great. Plugs directly in to the cigarette lighter. There is quite a bendy flexible tube which supports it. The iphone is held in by 2 clamps and some small plastic lugs at the bottom. This works fine. Sound is clear although seems to be a little bassy (this may be becasue of my set up! and needs the levels adjusting)

It does move about when your using the controls on the iphone about 5mm - 1cm (if you have heavy fingers) but it is easily controllable. Although it does block off a few dash controls in my Astra.

The only gripe is incoming phone calls only go through the speaker phone on the iphone and not the car speakers.

Here is a pic. (with and without being connected through a splitter which i use for the sat nav)

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

Last edited:
As it's one of the few that works with the iPhone 3G I decided to buy a Griffin iTrip AutoPliot with Smartscan.

Initial impressions were good:

No message when you plug it into the iphone

It charges

The buttons on the charging stalk are very handy - plug it into the iphone while it's still in it's case in sleep mode and press the play button on the stalk and it carry's on from the last point. Also good for skipping back to the start of a track when the kids are shouting "Again Again" for yellow submarine.

Set it to 87.9 and all was good.

Unfortunately the next time I used it (on the same journey) it was plagued with static.

I've tried a number of different frequencies and 87.9 was by far the best but still not good enough.

Tried the smartscan and of the 3 frequencies it chose, 2 of them had a radio station on them (not my music with a bit of interference).

Looks like it's going back.

It may depend on the car - mine's an estate and the ariel's at the back. Maybe it's just too weak a transmitter.

Shame as it seemed perfect at first.

There is also a way of changing the frequency range so that it can transmit as low as 77.1 (Japanese mode) by choosing mode and then holding the middle button until the griffin logo moves (about 10 secs) but my stereo only goes down to 87.5

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom