Which ISP would get your vote ?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by TeenSpirit, May 8, 2007.

?

Which ISP would you recommend ?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2007.
  1. AOL

4.0%
  2. Aquiss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BE

19.0%
  4. BT

12.0%
  5. Demon

4.0%
  6. Eclipse

2.0%
  7. Fast

1.0%
  8. Orange

3.0%
  9. Pipex

1.0%
  10. PlusNet

2.0%
  11. Sky

12.0%
  12. Talk Talk

4.0%
  13. Tiscali

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. UK Online

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Virgin (non cable)

3.0%
  16. other ISP not listed

28.0%
  17. Not happy with any ISP so far

5.0%
  1. merciarich

merciarich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use www.invictel.co.uk for my broadband, and then got the standard line rental with BT.

Used to have o2 but had nothing but billing problems with them.

2. knobbly

knobbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talktalk. Never been let down. BitTorrent works a dream (Considering I'm in a rural area). 40GB cap a month.... which isn't enforced...

3. CCNCCN

CCNCCN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ICUK seem to have done well by me!

4. leaky5

leaky5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I have just moved back to BT from Sky. I was getting about 4-5 Mpbs download and dowloading files was running at about 450Kbps. I did have a problem with Sky recently, they mucked up my phone line for about a week and download went from about 7 to around 4-5.
    BT from day one has sat at around 10Mbps and downloading files runs at about 1Mbps. I had BT install a new line and not take over the Sky one.
    Cost is not really an issue, as my company pay for my BB connection.
    Also hoping Infinity is nearly ready. As I drove into work this morning, there was a whole group of Openreach engineers and contractors working between my current cabinet and the new FTTC one.
    Power was installed to it over a month ago.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  5. Member 607892

Member 607892
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a terrible time with BT, been with TalkTalk for a few years now. A few teething problems to start with but all been good for some time now.

6. cliff60

cliff60
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had Bt and had nothing but problems with them. I switched to talk talk and found them faster and more reliable once i got rid of the router they supplied that is. Im currently in the process of upgrading to fibre optic with talk talk. I checked BT infinty 1st and they could only give me a max of 24Mbs But talk talk will give me a min of 30Mbs and a max of 78 Mbs. So why is BT always saying they have the fastest broadband in the UK when they r the slowest? One thing ive learnt about talk talk is dont use the router they supply. replace it with a netgear one as soon as u can.

7. oshb5ems

oshb5ems
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All
    Well here is my two peneth for what its worth It will be long as I have been with them a long time. so here goes nothing.
    I have been with Plusnet for about 14 years now; Yes 14 years Which was originally Force9 when I first joined them back in the times of the old 1200bps or modem that you pushed the old BT type telephone hand set into two rubber suckers on a cradle (bet there is one in a museum now) LOL then the 14400 to the 28800 USR United States Robotics Modem which where plugged into your PC then into the phone line. For example it used to be bulitin boards back the where you rang into for information or to join a MUD or like I used to do.That is id dial my friend then when i heard the dial tone from his modem I would engage my modem and put the phone down so that we could play a multi-player game and have online battles in Red Alert which was a great game back then played on win 95 . Plus he had set a network up at home and his two lads could join us in the game but 4 was the maximum amount of players allowed back then in a multiplayer game. So this was my first experience at a online multiplayer gaming. Who could have predicted that it would grow so far and so fast I bet there are hundreds of thousands playing such as Warcraft at a time. But hey Im reminiscing and my mind is wandering to far off subject now.

Back to the ISP F9 As it started back then as a supplier of computer parts that started from a shop which was on the outskirts of Worksop in a place that was called the Old Brewery Yard. From there to a proper building on a industrial estate. Again was a major seller of computers and computer components for all the UK. And this was the birthplace of Force 9 internet service if I am not mistaken. From then it went a little sketch as the Force9 computers when belly up but the internet side ended up in Sheffield on or near Orange Street (but dont quote me on the address as it may not be right) Then Force9 was bought by Plusnet Or was it the other way round and Force9 bought Plusnet but decided to keep the Plusnet name;)??? Anyway f9 ended up being bundled into the Plusnet name although I still log on to as Force9 and still use my original log on details so still have my original F9 roots:). Then BT apparently bought Plusnet but kept the Plusnet name. They grew and grew and offered many of differing internet and phone packages.
    I had been on one such package for many years. This was force 9s best non business package and called their premier package and was supposedly unlimited till people decided to download trucks full of data That is when the term fair usage policy which is short for you can download as much as you like till we think its to much. Thats when traffic shaping started and the off and on peak times started But as a added bonus the Premier package had beter off peak time which was 12pm to 4pm so a whole extra 8 hours more than every other package which was then 12pm till 8am However this came at a premium and it cost me £21.99 just for the internet service which I paid right up until about 20 months ago Then BT costs on top. They did may things in the last few year to try and get me of this saying it was outdated and that it would be cheaper to go onto another package But although expensive (which internet was back then and I only was getting 500Kbps at that time although I did manage to get it increased to just over 2000Kbps and stayed at that till about two years ago when it went to the 3000Kbps which I get now ) I stuck with it simple because it enabled me to do what I wanted in the time frame I had. That said if I had have been on the 12pm till 8am off peak I would not have got the things I wanted as by the time I would have started to download or stream it would have been in the peak time and it would not have worked. It was only like I said 20 months ago when I was in discussions with one of the fair members of staff and after explaining that I had been with them for 12 years at that time and that did I not deserve some sort of loyalty discount especially when all new customers where paying less than members who had been with them years. Anyway we came to a agreement and I got unlimited for £5 a month unconditionally that is not like the new where the special offer finishes after 6 or 9 months and goes to the full price. But even then they wanted to impose the years contract. That was till I said how dare they ask for that after I had been there that length of time. As well as asking for my leaving codes helped I think So new low cost and no contract I was quite happy apart from my d/l speeds being no faster than 3000Kbps which is disappointing I know but still manage to use a lot of data a month around 140gb to 180gb which is down to my mobility and I have to find something to do so I do watch a lot of TV via streaming and such. But I have old equipment that is running my network take my modem for example it was 8-9 years old and its replacement which I already had is still 6-7 years old' So possibly are a main factor in my speeds?. You may ask what about Fibre Yes it would be nice but as the Fibre is a new service The ISP is not even willing to discount this to me no matter how long I have been here that is. And with my situation and being disabled I cannot afford Fibre at this time and dont see as I will be able to in the future unless it comes down substantially.

As to my ISPs service and support I have not had that many occasions to contact or use the customer support or service dept but the times I have contacted them have all been good and productive and have ended in being positive and I have contacted then at all times of the day and night. I can remember contacting them at 3am one morning as I had lot the DSL I phoned and was answered quite fast and the problem sorted within 10 minuets. I will say that I can see a difference between the customer support of the old Force9 and the new plusnet. The old being faster and more friendlier in that you could talk to the people (if you know what I mean)And by name and actually discuss the problem and they all knew what you where talking about. Unlike now they are not like the old ones at all. Nither of them know all of the problems you ask about aand have to past it over. Plus the time it now takes. Before you could get a answer in say 3-4 hours if not immediately by phone but now its at the least a day some time as long as 4 days for you to get a reply. As for phoning for a resolution, I have not done this since I rang once and it was as if I was interrupting the guy on the other end from doing something. It had the feel of how you would treat a survey call from someone that had just rang during a candle lit dinner or in the middle of a something special. but when all said and done every thing every asked or requested has been sorted to my needs and satisfaction.
    Hence why I have stopped with them for so long. As for my speed issues this is down to me being right out on the fringe area of the exchange and quite a long way from the cabinet or so I have been informed by my ISP. They did say I could get Fibre and at speeds of 59Mbps D/L but like I said Im unable justify that amount at the present time

Now I might add I have been with this one ISP for so long. Is it that I have become complacent and dont or dare not entertain the possibility of moving to another ISP. I think its a bit like work used to be in times gone by. That is to say that it used to be The longer you worked for a employer the better you where thought of and the safer your job was and the more you where looked after. But in today times from what I gather your time your with then counts for nothing and they can just stand you up and fire you on the spot as soon as look at you and as simple as that none of the old formalities that there used to be and no comebacks or repercussions on the employer Iv not heard the term "Unfair dismissal" in many years now have you?. And I suppose a like ISPs back then they used to keep your business by giving you great price, service and extras in your package , But now all they seam interested in is getting the new ones to join and any means they can use to temp them. But for those of us who are already customers they just seam to be overlooked when discounts or any kind of incentive are on offer. Which is not right but I am afraid it is now the way of the world. and a merry-go-round that you cannot get off.

So now you have read my impressions of my ISP what would you say Stay or Go?
    Would I get better service or speeds else where, I would not mind a little price increase for more speed even though I have been coping with what I have. However that said I am now starting to struggle in that now streaming is much more miss than hit. .And is only due to things getting better such as film quality getting better so are HD instead of the SD of the past Hence I can now no longer stream what I used to with the 3Mbs I have. So this is the 24,000 dollar question. Is it not.
    And if it is try else where Then where would you suggest

Appoligies for this account being so long and me keep wandering off of topic but its nice to reminiss somewhat and some of the younger will see what we had to put up with and the old of you it will bring back memorys of times gone by,

All the very best Regards Oliver

8. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone use Primus Saver for their line rental. I pay full price line rental with Plusnet and is only ever used for broadband, if anyone needs to contact me, they call my mobile, so would they be a good option to go with?

9. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,570
    @Oliver, sounds like Commodore 64 loading.

Personally I'd move, enjoying streaming is a must nowadays.

Who too? I can't comment as we are rated as the best ISP, except we don't shout about it/buy awards to say we are, our customers do that.

10. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,372
    It's not just the ISP - unbundled connections make a big difference!

I have Sky LLU and support has been great but the moment Openreach get involved things slow down.
    One wonders why...

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,533
    I've been with Primus for a few years now and had no issues. I can't see why I should pay ~£15/m for line rental when with Primus I only pay about £8/m inc. eve & weekend calls. Like you I hardly ever use my land line phone and only have it as it is required for ADSL broadband. However many of the broadband providers are only available if you use them for line rental as well.

Mark.

12. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,570
    The only real concern about Primus is there lines and minutes charges, very expensive; which makes up for the cheap line rental and cheap DSL. However there line rental is wholesale so they are not making anything on that, again if you make any calls, that is where they make the profits. Oh and of course 20GB limit, great for email users, website viewing but forget streaming but it works

Cheap Phone and Broadband Package | Primus Saver

13. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say 20GB,you talking bout their broadband. I'm thinking of using Plusnet with their cheaper line rental

14. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,570
    Same old adage, pay for quality, get quality. Buy cheap get cheap.

15. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,533
    I'm a little confused - in reality all Primus are is a billing agent. You are still using a BT line that is looked after by BT/Openreach. Things are a little more complex for an ISP, but simply for a phone line I can't see any issue.
    But saying that I've never needed to use their customer service and this may be far from perfect, but having been with them for a few years that must prove that they are not cowboys.

Mark.

16. SkullyJR

SkullyJR
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wouldn't recommend TalkTalk, really slow service and some websites like Imgur sometimes takes ages to load.

17. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,372
    Especially as they have been caught over their adverts.

18. SkullyJR

SkullyJR
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  19. Kailash

Kailash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    did you go with them?
    thinking of changing

anyone else on plus net? either normal BB or fibre

20. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    I'm on plusnet fibre, no complaints at all! The odd time Ive had to call them due to an issue they've sorted it - but I'll add the problem normally isnt them - Openreach! :)

21. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    You got to love how one BT company blames the other BT company.

22. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Oh its very true! On the plus side (no pun) plusnet dont use Indian call centres and as we know BT do! Dont know about you but thats worth its weight in gold! Oh and Sky broadband was also decent when I used them, just they wouldn't offer me a better price but thats life!

23. jtanna

jtanna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TalkTalk for price and value for money.

I am currently with Sky because it came with my SkyTV but before that I was with TalkTalk. The only thing you need to remember is that after every 12 months, you need to disconnect the service for 2 days before connecting again so that you get the special deals they always have for new customers. I do it all the timje and the maximum I use to pay was £3.25 per month plus Line Rental.

24. Morcup

Morcup
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Been with many ISPs

i think the best i've been with is BE (which is now defunked), 2nd is sky, the customer service and general connection has been good.

I've had some terrible service with BT and Plusnet so i won't be trying them again.

i've always wanted to try AAISP/ICUK/Zen

but never gotten around to it since i'm happy with sky for 3 years now.

Quick history

AOL>Freeserve/Wanadoo>BT>Plusnet>Talktalk>BE>Sky.

25. thewhofan

thewhofan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +346
    I have tried many ISP's over the years, O2, BT, Sky and had nothing but problems with inconsistent speeds and bad customer service. So in 2010 I decided to try Xilo due to there great reviews and have been with them ever since. I get a constant 17mb connection 24 hours a day with no throttling on ADSL2. In that 5 years I have only had to contact them 4 times and every time I had a reply within minutes. I find it funny when I look at speed tests in my area from the big main companies and they are only managing to get around half my speed. I suppose you get what you pay for.

26. G33 M4N

G33 M4N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm currently with plusnet and have a 78mbps fibre connection. I've had to change the default DNS but am otherwise pleased with the service.

27. Hot Waffles

Hot Waffles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Terrible experience with the quality of a connection to a mail server with Talk Talk so vote BT.

28. Malds

Malds
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to be with BE, which i think O2 swallowed up. Best Inet provider I've ever used, not sure if its the same level of service provided by O2, or Network speed/ping.

29. Malds

Malds
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I am with TalkTalk, Fibre Large. Average around 65mbps. The ping for gaming is terrible and the customer service is even worse, i will be going with Plusnet or O2 in a few months time when my contract runs out.

30. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,533
    BE & o2 were part of the same company as far as broadband went, but you could buy your BB from either of them as they both sold the service under their own name.

However BE & o2 are now both gone as far as BB is concerned and their customers have been taken over by Sky.

Mark.