1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which ISP for infrequent offpeak usage

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by calscot, Sep 25, 2003.

1. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

What's the best and/or cheapest ISP deal for surfing the net during off peak times, say a couple of hours a week?

Cheers,
    Cal.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    I'd say any of the pay-as-you-go offerings (0845 call charges - see your phone provider for details). Before I went broadband, I found the most reliable/robust connection was

http://www.go2000.co.uk/

although there is absolutely NO reason why you shouldn't register for several PAYG services, and switch between them if and when one lets you down.

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Nigel.

I'll give it a go and see how the bills turn out. If the bills get a bit steep I can always switch to a monthly offpeak deal.

Cheers,
    Cal.

4. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I see from your location you are in an NTL area. They have a 1p per min dial up which would cost you a fiver a month if you used only 2 hours per week, or:
    £10 per month for unlimited dial -up use
    or
    broadband from £17.99 per month.
    (I have used 600Mb/s for the last 3 years @ £19.99 per month)

Believe me, once you are permanently connected, your surfing habits change forever, and even the thought of dial-up is intolerable.

5. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to computer buyer (who have an isp buyers guide for both dialup and broadband every issue) Clara.net give 12 hours of off peak usage for £3.33 a month. Got pop into a newsagents or whatever and have a look at the guide.

6. garbon

garbon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use supanet classic which is standard dail up 0845 number.
    very good service with 44000 connction most of the time

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    If you are going PAYG and going to register for a few (and I do strongly recommend it) then you should always look for services which allow you to create your own Dial-Up settings. Those which do an automatic install often

1: set themselves as the default and make it problematic to undo therefore making it difficult to swap and change at will (which is the benefit of having a PAYG service)
    2: mess up your browser by branding it with their own logos etc.

On-line registration varies between suppliers. Some won't let you proceed without an auto set up; some do (but place the instructions behind a tiny link buried deep into the web page etc), and some just produce a page with all the necessary details, letting you create the setting for yourself. I recommend you choose suppliers in the last 2 categories and do it yourself in all cases. Any that force an auto setup - just abandon it.