1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is worse?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AVnovice, Jul 5, 2004.

1. AVnovice

AVnovice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My circa 1985 KEF 103/3's or my Denon AVR 3300?

My system has been up and running for about 4 years now and, although it has been great--save the hissing noise I think I just fixed (see related thread)--it may have been incompatible all these years.

The KEF 103/3's seem to be rated at 4 ohms

"Suitable for use with amplifiers capable of providing between 50 and 200W into 4 ohms resistive load." (pulled from the KEF museum on the KEF website)

On the back, they say, "for use with amplifiers up to 200W 4 ohms (100W 8 ohms)

My Denon 3300 has a rated output of 105W per front channel at 8 ohms and 140W per front channel at 6 ohms. It clearly states that only speakers with an impedence from 6 to 16 ohms should be connected.

I use the system a lot and it really doesn't get that hot.

1. Am I in trouble?
    2. If I've made it 4 years, should I be OK?
    3. What does the (100W 8 ohms) in parentheses mean?

4. If I need to dump one or the other, which should I dump? The ancient KEF 103/3's or the Denon 3300? Of note, I actually have 4 KEF 103/3's (two I don't really use right now but I used to use them as my surround rears)

Embarrassed,

AVnovice.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    If it aint broke, dont fix it :D

The only reason that you maybe should upgrade the amp is if you are after the new processing options DPL2x etc. If your happy then dont bother.