1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is the right video capture card???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jagsta, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking to sort out a HCPC in order to supply a progressive scan input to my Loewe TV, via the VGA module.

The idea is that i'll be able to use the PC to deinterlace and scale the input (PS2/STB/DVD Player) to the video card and output using my existing graphics card (or maybe not - i'll come onto that) to output via VGA-VGA into the Loewe.

It seems that I'll need to use Dscaler to do the deinterlacing, powerstrip to run at the right resolution. I therefore need

a) a tv/capture card that will give me the best quality input, and also be compatible with Dscaler.

b) a video card capable of outputting the right resolutions to supply the Loewe.

I know from other conversations that I can run the Loewe at 720x576@50Hz and 848x480@60Hz, i don't know if there are any other resolutions I should try to run it at or even if it will be necessary? Being stupid it seems that the PAL res mentioned above is 4:3 format, and the NTSC res 16:9 - Is this right? If so do I not need to be running PAL at some other resolution to correctly display a widscreen image on the TV?

I've heard mention of the Flyvideo 3000 card - which has S-video input - is this a good card to choose? Image quality is the main concern, sound will be handled elsewhere.

TIA,
    Jag

2. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I tried to connect the PC to the Loewe using my existing card (Geforce 256 Pro ~ 3years old) last night with mixed results.

At 640x480 I get a solid image at 60Hz with decent geometry.
    At 720x576 I get a solid(ish) image at 50Hz with pretty bad geometry
    At 848x480 I get a solid image at 60Hz with pretty bad geometry.

No matter how much I play with the Loewe itself, I only have limited geometry control for the VGA module. I can't work out whether powerstrip or anything else can provide the level of control needed to end up with a decent image on screen.

Bit disappointing really - Anyone have any suggestions - I figured I ought to try and run it at the native res for PAL dvd, as that is what i'll be playing mostly, but with the geometry as it is I don't think I can put up with it.