Quantcast

Answered Which is the better / more future proof spec ?

ozthecoz

HI - hope this is allowed ?

I know nothing about computer hardware and the like and was after a £400 - £500 gaming computer ( well my 14 year old son is) so i put an advert u in classifieds and have been offered the following.

Which is better / future proof - ive tried googling the CPU's and graphics cards etc but tbh the reviews are double dutch to me and dont mean a thing

i3 6100 @ 3.7Ghz Skylake 14nm - Dual Core / 4 Threads with HT
Corsair H55 Water Cooler
Gigabyte B150N Motherboard wit Wireless AC / Bluetooth 4.2 / USB C 3.1
8GB Kingston DDR4 2666MHz
Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB G1 Gaming
EVGA 650w Gold Modular PSU
120GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD
Bitfenix Colossus M ITX Case

or

i5 4570 CPU
2x4GB RAM DDR3 1600 (8GB RAM Total)
Sapphire Dual-X R9-270X 2GB GDDR5
Integral 120GB SSD (Excellent Read/Write speeds)
Seagate Barracuda ES ST3500630NS 500GB 7200RPM HDD
seagate barracuda 750gb hdd
DVD Drive
Silverstone PS07B MicroATX Mini Tower Case (also includes the covers that were removed to install DVD drive)
Corsair 750 watt PSU
TP-Link TL-WN881ND 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter
2x120mm High End Noctua PWM Fans (Note the grey one has 2 blades which were broken - see picture but does not affect performance or temperatures inside PC)
As a result I've added a new 120mm Arctic Fan (non-PWM).
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit with License

Eddy555

The i5 one will be fine now for gaming, an i3 6100 is probably not recommended for gaming but it does depend on what games will be played.
The 4th gen i5 will work fine with games for years to come.
The R9-270X is a weaker card than the GTX 970 but this is easily replaced and if you look around you could find a better card for a good price second hand.
Having said that I've got a PC with an R9-270X and it's still very capable of playing current games fine.
Plus the i5 version has a good amount of storage too.
I'd go for the i5 4570 based one.

mr_yogi

I would rather take option 1, although the i3 won't be as fast as the i5 of option 2 the rest is more future proof, DDR 4, Skylake platform. Also the GPU (video card) is much better (broadly comparable, well better than the GPU in the PS4 Pro) than that of option 2 so it should play games well for quite a while, especially at 1080p (Full HD resolution). Finally the CPU could be easily upgraded for an i5 or i7 in the future.

That said either will be a good choice, ideally and i5 or i7 and a decent video card would be what to aim for though.

Sinzer

Neither system is future proof, both are sporting older generation equipment and would benefit from an upgrade for next year, but for the money, both are good investments.

Option 1 is weak on CPU and Storage space.

Option 2 is weak on Graphics card.

Option 1 affords you the best performance from the 2 right now. You should consider buying an extra Harddrive for 50 quid to give you 1 TB of space. However, you will be fine to play 1080P at 60FPS and high settings in nearly all games.

The motherboard can also take all Skylake Intel chips (socket 1151) so your next upgrade consideration would be an i5-6600K for 230 quid or so. It is likely though, that the Geforce 970 will also probably start to struggle next year for top performance in games.

The difficulty in the decision is that Option 2 requires a new graphics card to make current games playable at 1080P 60 FPS in high settings. However, the CPU will not need upgrading for quite a while. The 280 quid for upgrading Option 1 could (for example) be spent on a Nvidia 1060, which will give you around 20% more performance than the 970 in Option 1.

My decision would be based on:

I am paying 500 quid now and do not consider upgrading at all in the next couple of years. I am happy to dial down settings or don't play AAA graphics games then pick Option 1.

I am willing to consider investing about 300 quid next year and I want the machine to play all games at good settings, then go for Option 2.

ozthecoz

Neither system is future proof, both are sporting older generation equipment and would benefit from an upgrade for next year, but for the money, both are good investments.

Option 1 is weak on CPU and Storage space.

Option 2 is weak on Graphics card.

Option 1 affords you the best performance from the 2 right now. You should consider buying an extra Harddrive for 50 quid to give you 1 TB of space. However, you will be fine to play 1080P at 60FPS and high settings in nearly all games.

The motherboard can also take all Skylake Intel chips (socket 1151) so your next upgrade consideration would be an i5-6600K for 230 quid or so. It is likely though, that the Geforce 970 will also probably start to struggle next year for top performance in games.

The difficulty in the decision is that Option 2 requires a new graphics card to make current games playable at 1080P 60 FPS in high settings. However, the CPU will not need upgrading for quite a while. The 280 quid for upgrading Option 1 could (for example) be spent on a Nvidia 1060, which will give you around 20% more performance than the 970 in Option 1.

My decision would be based on:

I am paying 500 quid now and do not consider upgrading at all in the next couple of years. I am happy to dial down settings or don't play AAA graphics games then pick Option 1.

I am willing to consider investing about 300 quid next year and I want the machine to play all games at good settings, then go for Option 2.
As a complete layman ( me) thats a great explanation mate - thank you very much

sykotik

Distinguished Member
I would go for the 1st one , based on whether or not you can pick up a i5 6500 soon after buy the rig , ( if your son is getting some money for xmas say from other family members then he could/should pick up the i5 6600
this would greatly improve the PC ).