1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is the better cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by doctorjuggles, Oct 4, 2004.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Right, I'm pretty suspicious about the whole concept of really expensive cabling anyway, so I'm not even sure I want to be spending this much. However, if I do, which do you guys think is the better deal?
    Profigold Component 5m for £35.99 delivered
    Ixos component 3m for £39.99 delivered.

Both of these cables are their normal component range, not super-unleaded or anything.
    I thought that the extra 2m might come in useful, but if the Ixos is outstandingly better, I'd go for that.
    What's the general consensus on these two products?

Or am I better off going for a cheapo £15.99 5m cable that does the same thing? Do cables really make that much difference?

Thanks very much

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Yes... Colours are much more vivid and the picture sharper with more expensive cables.
    What's the pieces of kit your plugging in??

If you have just spent £2000 on a plasma say and you plug it in using a freebe scart you had kicking around from your ALBA video your not going to get the benefit of your latest kit. £35 is not alot of money in cable terms, you should set aside at least 10% of your budget to cables.
    Thor do some nice Components for around £40.

You wouldnt buy a ferrari and fill it up with Regular unleaded from Tesco. (well i hope you wouldnt :D )

3. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Generally, I think IXOS is better than the other two cables you mentioned.

If you need a 5 metre cable, go for the best you can afford. If its only a 1m/2m the difference between them is less obvious - but sometimes still noticeable. If its a short cable I'd say you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between profigold and IXOS. If you don't need the extra 3m of the profigold, I'd say go for the IXOS.

Also, if you have a lot of kit and a real mess of cables, then high quality cables are much better as they have proper shielding. With cheap cables you'll get signals interfering with each other everywhere.

I used to have an old Sanyo 28" widescreen TV with a really crappy old DVD player. I bought a £30 profigold scart cable and the difference this cable made over the cheap and nasty manufacturer-supplied cable was truly astonishing.

Cheers,
    Mat.

4. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not everything is bought at the moment, I'm in the process right now. But 10% of my budget would be in excess of £250, which is just too much for some cables, in my opinion. £40 seems like plenty for now. I might upgrade in the future, but I can't stretch to much more while I'm buying the plasma, fittings, brackets and DVD players.

Anyway, what's going into it. It's a Panny PWD6. It has a SCART board, I've ordered a component board too, and I've also ordered a JS Tech SCART to Plamsa VGA converter. I'll also be buying a Pioneer S575 DVD player.
    So the setup will be:
    Pioneer s575 -> component cables -> component board
    Sky digital -> JS Tech -> VGA cable -> VGA in
    VHS -> SCART cable -> SCART board.

I'm not too worried about the quality of the VHS and SCART combo, I barely use it anyway.

5. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I recently upgraded from a 1 metre ixos component cable to the Mark Grant ones, the difference was so noticable that the wife spotted it without me telling her I replaced anything (getting me in trouble :mad: :) )

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    doctorjuggles

Do you have an AV Receiver in the system? - if yes does it offer YUV Component video switching; if yes you don't require the additional Component Input board (and associated cost).

If you do have an AV Receiver with YUV switching I'd go with the JS Technology RGB2YUV converter and switch your two YUV sources via the AV Receiver.

If you've still to purchase the AV Receiver you may find not purchasing the YUV and SCART boards will give you enough budget to go for a more upmarket AV Receiver that has Composite and S-Video up-conversion to YUV and put everything through a single cable to the Plasma.

YUV cables can and do make a difference and where possible I wouldn't have lots of spare cable for no reason - unless you thought you may move the system at a later date.

Mark Grant or VanDamme (I supply the later) would be my first choice for high quality video cables at a reasonable cost.

Best regards

Joe