Which is the best unlimited Video Streaming Service - Netflix, Amazon, Now TV or Wuaki?

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by Steve Withers, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,469
    2. BRADY4GOAT

BRADY4GOAT

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +230
      Amazon is by far the best. Netflix sucks big time, the new content is so bare these days. We get it for free so its OK for the kids stuff. Watching every episode of pokemon yay

Other than that Amazon gets exclusive shows.

3. Danbottomburp

Danbottomburp
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +128
      if your a bit savvy and use a dns changer to access the different countries netflix than it is a no brainer. by far the best service. i still cannot believe how cheap it is for what i get .

4. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +674
      I currently have Netlix, Amazon Prime Instant Video (due to my Amazon Prime shopping subscription) and Sky's Now TV (due to my purchase of an LG TV), all of which is built into my LG television.

From a purely 'streaming' experience via a 20Mbps hard-wired internet connection, here are my observations: -

Netflix offers the most stable image resolution and audio quality, with very few (if any) hiccups during viewing.

Amazon Prime Instant Video often buffers, which completely stalls the audio and video for quite a few seconds at a time.

Now TV also buffers, but instead of stalling the audio and video, the bit-rate drops to such a low speed that the video image is
      unbearable. Which is quite an achievement when you consider that the video resolution is just 720p to begin with and the audio is only 2 channel stereo (with some ProLogic info)...

Indeed, when I watched the 'live' F1 race from Bahrain, the video image became so poor all you could see were streaky coloured macro-blocks!

Anyone else?

5. Ratcliffe83

Ratcliffe83
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +91
      Netflix hands down for me...

For 4K native content if nothing else :D

6. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Netflix by far and with ease u get us netflix aswell :smashin:

7. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
      Ratings:
      +11,080
      Netflix with UnblockUS is the winner by a country mile. So much content that you won't ever have enough time to watch it all. Quality is normally spot on too.

I can imagine those without a service such as UnblockUS might think Netflix UK is pretty poor, but for just £3 more a month you open up a massive amount of content.

8. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +860
      screw em all, not interested in having to subscribe to half a dozen services to cover all the shows I want to watch. £5.99/$7.99 for a 1 stop shop then yes please but not multi subs to watch last years shows.

9. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +860

if you watch in your browser, media hint or hola for firefox and chrome are free. Use them to watch other US content also. hulu.com is decent if you can put up with the ad breaks

10. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
      Ratings:
      +11,080
      I watch about 80% of Netflix on my Apple TV and my iPad and UnblockUS makes it so simple.

11. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +860
      the free tunlr dns was flawless until it decided to close :( im not going down the paid for dns route for US content streaming when media hint and hola are buck she :)

12. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,111
      I switched from Netflix to Amazon last month. I've found the quality for me is much better with Amazon, never had a stutter or buffer using Xbox One.

13. tucker10

tucker10

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      I quite often use Netflix and i find the picture quality to generally be pretty good, the images are very stable and it never seems to have to buffer whilst watching something. Plus Netflix has breaking bad and house of cards. I tried amazon instant video the first time the other day, the picture quality is no where near as good, very soft images in HD, which then turned back to SD then back again a few times. It also froze to buffer around 6 times whilst watching a film which was rather annoying. I still prefer Blu Ray though.

14. Ratcliffe83

Ratcliffe83
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +91
      I think the ultimate point will come down to your ISP and what download speed your getting. Netflix at my mothers is nothing short of terrible. At home it's perfect (as far as streaming goes) I've not tried Amazon, neither am I inclined to tbh, netflix currently offers me what I want so I'll stick with it for now :)

As above, in reality, nothing will beat bluray for quality, but then the old cliche of 'you get what you pay for' springs to mind :)

15. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +671
      Amazon have exclusive rights to 24? I didn't know that. I've only recently starting watching it on Netflix UK, hope it stays there! :eek:

16. saayinla

saayinla

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      Netflix hands down for me too. Tried Amazon in the lovefilm days not impressed, wouldn't even bother now. As much as I would like to watch US content I am not prepared to pay monthly for fans services, the amount of US content I will watch will not justify the outlay and I can always watch on my tablet which has hula Unblocker and gonna try the miracast/ Screen mirroring root. But netflix for me their super Hd resolution is stunning to say the least

17. JEFF62

JEFF62

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +39
      There is an even cheaper option called Ad-freetime. I have cancelled Unblock and am trying this service which is just £1.20 per month. Has all the same features as unblock including drop down region changer and caption blocker but also has its own app and blocks ads as well. So far working well on my Apple tv. Only downside is on Apple tv need to restart when cahging from American to European netflix. I mainly use USA and Canada and have UK only on my Samsung tv. For anyone interested there is more info here:-

Ad-free time! | Blocking ads, unblocking Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, BBC and more

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    18. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +66
      Can anyone test to see if Amazon works through the browser on the latest Panasonic TV's? I'm looking at getting a Panasonic TV, but the wife already has signed up for Amazon Prime anyway, so it would be a nice bonus if we could at least watch it that way rather than stick an xbox / ps3 in the bedroom...

19. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,457
      I'm pretty sure Amazon use Flash through a browser so, if that's the case, it won't work with the Panasonic TV using that method.

20. saayinla

saayinla

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      At that price, it would be rude not to pay. I ll try this when I get home, cheers buddy.

21. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,593
      We currently have all three, wasn't planning on it and was happy to pay for 2 services but with the free now TV movies from LG and amazon merging in to my prime subscription we aren't paying anymore than we wanted to (well not until prime is up for renewal next year). Overall they all have pros and cons, and other than netflix having to use various devices to get the best quality is a bit of a pain, current;y netflix and amazon are being run from my PS4 and now tv from my xbox 360.

Now TV is proving to be a hit though, the interface is very simple and my girlfriend finds it much easier to navigate than netflix or amazon, it's also nice it offers the linear channels as well, so it adds to our channel choice as well as supplying on demand content. When you factor in that for £4.99 a month we get 10 of skys premium channels available in 2 rooms at once it's a significant saving over having a full sky multiroom sub just to watch the one or two shows we are interested in. Paired with the now TV box in a third room we are well covered for TV now.

Netflix is still the best quality, with 5.1 and full HD it looks nicer than the other 2, it's also nice that they've not relied on certain platforms for delivery, chances are if you're device is "smart" it has netflix as an option, if it isn't on there it will be soon and that is something the others need to up their game on. I particularly like the casting element of netflix, works on chromecast, my LG Tv and PS4 and takes away the hassle of using the remote to navigate the TV menus and typing when trying to search, we just do it all on the tablet and press cast and it's done.

22. hlhorner

hlhorner
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Netfilx is the best by far for the price, best quality and easy to use. i always use netflix for everything as they have so many films etc to watch and update it all the time so never get bored :)

23. stanners987

stanners987

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16
      Using a PS3 over Wifi for Netflix and Now Tv.

Netflix is superb, Now TV is AWFUL and will be binned after GoT finishes.

24. Pecker

Pecker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
      Ratings:
      +4,558
      The buffering problems will only end when content you've bought can be downloaded to keep, in the same way you keep an mp3 that you download.

Currently, whilst it's technically possible to download on to a Kindle Fire, the 32GB limit, and the fact that their HD films are 8GB each, makes it impractical.

The USB port on Amazon's new Fire TV is initially disabled, too.

I really don't see why they're so security conscious. If you wanted to pirate/share-with-friends a Blu-ray Disc you can rip one easily with something like MakeMKV. Why lower quality HD downloads need to be more secure is beyond me.

Steve W

25. Bitterman

Bitterman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      In January I compared Netflix and Lovefilm before subscribing, Netflix won hands down on quality both sound and vision. Lovefilm was 720p and very poor surround sound. For films I really want top qulaity I get Blu-ray through Cinemaparadiso who have been excellent so far.

26. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +674
      From what I understand the new series of 24 will be shown on Sky 1, which means you'll be able to watch it via a Sky Now TV subscription ;)

27. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,005
      My question is: which service has the most content with subtitles?

Being partially deaf, anything without subtitles is a real struggle nowadays. A lot of the American shows on Netflix have "closed captions", and some of the films, but not all of them. Old BBC shows on Netflix never seem to, though, which is very frustrating.

Sky is a great deal worse, though. *None* of their downloadable "On Demand" content seems to be subtitled, and they even somehow manage to strip the subtitles off the stuff on iPlayer if I'm daft enough to use the version installed on my Sky box....

28. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +671
      Ah, I've only ever seen seasons 1-3, so I'm starting again from the very beginning, so have a long way to go before I worry about the new season! Will be seriously miffed if they pull the plug on it again, having been bounced from Freeview to Sky in the past.

29. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,593
      One annoying thing with now TV is the duration of shows and movies on there, I think its 30 days from the air date on sky, so the newer movies don't hang around for long. Also miffed that episode 1 of moone boy series 2 has gone and the first 4 episodes if true detective are no longer there, we was hoping to start that soon. I believe game of thrones series 4 will be the same (presuming 24 will be too) so you can't hang around too much catching up

30. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +674
      Out of interest, has anybody here tried Wuaki.tv. I've just noticed I have it built into all my LG TV's?