Which is the best model pioneer made in plasma

Blueray22

Established Member
Reaction score
Which pioneer plasma was best made is it better theatre Samsung PS 64 f8500

The KRP 500M was the pinnacle of Pioneer tech in 2009.

The best of the best is the American Elite Pro 101fd. It is not the 500m. 101fd and 500m have the same internals except the 101fd has one extra hdmi input and it is the only Kuro ever made that used hand picked glass and major components to insure perfection. No screen lottery with a 101fd. Ecach one also comes with a hand signed certificate.

The KRP 500M was the pinnacle of Pioneer tech in 2009.

The Elite Pro 101fd had 4 Hdmi ports and internals were identical to the 500M / 600M
Isf can be enabled on the 500M / 600M Models
So that leaves the so called hand picked Glass debate .

So not a lot diff between them really .

The pinnacle of Pioneer Plasma tech was the CES Ultra Slimline version
that was on show 10th gen version if memory serves me correct .

Who has that ?
But it did look Awesome
Sadly never made it to Retail .

Not technically Pioneer, but you could also look to Panasonic P60ZT65 model. In my opinion one of the greatest plasma's ever made. It was the first model I saw hit the market that really outshone the TX-42PX700 (which my dad still owns to this day). I'm also sure that it was the 42PX700 that started the demise of Pioneer (Panasonic's first 1080p Plasma to the public (50" wasn't as good as the Pioneer, but the 42" held its own for less money))

Talking about the Panasonic TX-P60ZT65, I always remember one of my customers who somehow managed to tell his wife his old TV (P55VT30) had gone in for a software update, when she asked him why the picture was so clear :laugh: She never noticed it had grown a few inches, but he did mention she was staggered at how clear it with her commenting that it was just like looking out of a window

Not technically Pioneer, but you could also look to Panasonic P60ZT65 model. In my opinion one of the greatest plasma's ever made. It was the first model I saw hit the market that really outshone the TX-42PX700 (which my dad still owns to this day). I'm also sure that it was the 42PX700 that started the demise of Pioneer

Talking about the Panasonic TX-P60ZT65, I always remember one of my customers who somehow managed to tell his wife his old TV (P55VT30) had gone in for a software update, when she asked him why the picture was so clear :laugh: She never noticed it had grown a few inches, but he did mention she was staggered at how clear it with her commenting that it was just like looking out of a window

Still Running several plasma and still looking Great Picture wise
No wont look as good as Oled but with a good input and high Bit Rate still looks amazing for 12 + year old tech .......

my phone kuro krp-500M is still looking great ! amazing engineering, have owned it since new never missed a beat ! wont be replacing it till it dies ! :) perfect in my setup as a 2nd screen and only ever needed it as a monitor...

my phone kuro krp-500M is still looking great ! amazing engineering, have owned it since new never missed a beat ! wont be replacing it till it dies ! :) perfect in my setup as a 2nd screen and only ever needed it as a monitor...

Ditto wished i bought the 600M way back .......
cant believe its still going strong .
Going to see if i can enable isf and squeeze out a bit more Quality from it . 😎😎

Hi Every one. Great question! I'm looking forward to reading the perspectives from 13 years after the fact.
I hope you do not mind that I take a moment to introduce myself and share with you my situation in my first post on this site. II have recently jumped head-first into the Plasma platform with the purchase of several Pioneers, including the KRP-500M and 600M, PDP-6010 and 6020 and a PRO-FHD1 (A total investment of under $175.) I got hooked and got carried away. (I also started buying other tvs for cheap or free that needed repair with the intent of flipping.)
I only recently hooked up the first of my Pioneers, choosing the 600M as it reflects (arguably) the pinnacle of what Pioneer can do, packaged and delivered to the market as a separate but significant stand-alone series, Like the encore after a Led Zeppelin concert.
Making it even more exciting, I got 2 unbelievable deals on HT Receivers: an SC-05 and an SC-55. So now I feel like, no matter what year it is, I've got one hell of a great setup!

I am just starting to learn to tweak and adjust the cobwebs out of it, and install/tune the speakers so I have a little way to go yet.

4 days ago, I replied to an ad and picked up a free Samsung PN60F8500 that wasn't working. Sound but not pic. It wasn't until I brought it home and started doing research that I found out what it was, and at the same time realized I have a PN64E8000 sitting on my work bench, waiting for me to go through and resolve an intermittent Power-Off condition.

I was (and still am) Completely Gung-Ho for Pioneer Plasma all the way, and Entirely stoked for the Complete Pioneer AV package... But I can't help but wonder.... when I fix those Samsungs... and inevitably do the Pepsi Challenge... Will I be tempted to make the swap?

Thank you for taking the time and allowing me this moment. I look forward to reading everyone else's response to this post, as well!

Cheers!

we watch our bought from new KRP600a every night now over 12 years old and still regularly comment on how great the picture quality is.....keeping it until it goes pop

I have a 600M and it’s a peach, better than the two 500As I had before it and no media box to worry about developing a fault!

I have a 600M and it’s a peach, better than the two 500As I had before it and no media box to worry about developing a fault!

The 500M Models were the Best Premium Models to get
in one word the peak of the Pioneer Plasma range in uk / Europe .

we can debate the usa Model it had additional 2x hdmi ports
isf which can be added to the 500M range .
the Glass well i believe the 500m had a quality glass as well .

12 years + and counting built like a tank if it broke tomorrow it be still be one of the best tech ive ever bought .

Ordinarily a plasma TV has a half-life between 30,000 to 60,000 hours, implying that the unit will free around half of its brilliance during this season of administration. For example if a plasma TV was left on for eight hours every day the normal half life would run around 9 years.

Not technically Pioneer, but you could also look to Panasonic P60ZT65 model. In my opinion one of the greatest plasma's ever made. It was the first model I saw hit the market that really outshone the TX-42PX700 (which my dad still owns to this day). I'm also sure that it was the 42PX700 that started the demise of Pioneer (Panasonic's first 1080p Plasma to the public (50" wasn't as good as the Pioneer, but the 42" held its own for less money))

I have both the krp and ZT. As good as the ZT is, the pioneer beats it every way possible.
Better brightness
Better uniformity on whites and greys
Not as prone to burn in as the ZT.
Cleaner picture less noise.
No line bleed
The colour accuracy is Better, better skin tones. Panasonics seem to have too much red in every skin tone (Calibrated)
Trust me the ZT on its own is fantastic when compared side by side with the krp then you realise who’s better. Also I have the latest oled which still doesn’t look as good on all SDR content. So no oled isn’t better than a pioneer krp maybe on HDR which we expect.

Last edited:
I have both the krp and ZT. As good as the ZT is, the pioneer beats it every way possible.
Better brightness
Better uniformity on whites and greys
Not as prone to burn in as the ZT.
Cleaner picture less noise.
The colour accuracy is Better, better skin tones. Panasonics seem to have too much red in every skin tone (Calibrated)
Trust me the ZT on its own is fantastic when out side by side with the krp then you realise who’s better. Also I have the latest oled which still doesn’t look as good on all SDR content. So no oled isn’t better than a pioneer krp maybe on HDR which we expect.
I never saw it when we have them in the showroom, they always relied so much of the gizmos to get the picture right with traditional TV broadcasts that I always saw them running it while with the ZT, you could turn them off and it was sensational (not without its own faults though) for SD/HD broadcasts. Football or athletics always showed the Pioneers for what they were and I sadly couldn’t see passed the artefacts

But, I’m not going to knock Pioneer either as they were a class above most, I just felt when Panasonic introduced the 42PZ700 (their first 1080p), you could see the writing on the wall as it was 50% cheaper and you just couldn’t justify the difference and it took until the ZT for Panasonic to eclipse the PZ. My dad purchased one of the first 42PZ700’s in to the U.K. and it has just failed after all these years. It was a cracking TV

yes the kuro's are pretty satisfying, the M having the dvi port is driven slightly differently to the A , slightly higher internal frequencys (at the cost of blacks?), but the A can be made similar by deleting the HDMI block/all tv resolutions in the edid/add 1080p mode with exact/dmt timing so its treated as dual link dvi,giving a sharper picture prehaps lol, only on input5 though, it will actually accept 64hz in pc mode through hdmi input5 not sure why!(80hz through vga) but the m can do 1440 1050 85h

The best of the best is the American Elite Pro 101fd. It is not the 500m. 101fd and 500m have the same internals except the 101fd has one extra hdmi input and it is the only Kuro ever made that used hand picked glass and major components to insure perfection. No screen lottery with a 101fd. Ecach one also comes with a hand signed certificate.
Sorry for necro but I just wanna know. So there are other Elite models too such as 111FD, 141FD and 151FD too. 101FD is still best out of them while being the smallest number or which one is the best?

Sorry for necro but I just wanna know. So there are other Elite models too such as 111FD, 141FD and 151FD too. 101FD is still best out of them while being the smallest number or which one is the best?

“ There is zero PQ difference between the 101FD and 500M. I own both panels.”

A quote from DNice

Besides the 101FD has 4 extra HDMI inputs ive only ever used 1 for circa 15 years plus.
500M can be isf patched also.

“ There is zero PQ difference between the 101FD and 500M. I own both panels.”

A quote from DNice

Besides the 101FD has 4 extra HDMI inputs ive only ever used 1 for circa 15 years plus.
500M can be isf patched also.
But the hand picked glass wouldn't make a difference? What is isf calibration? What does it do?

Is it necessary? Not other picture modes would be optimal?
As mentioned Ultimate picture mode for Night & Day Viewing makes other picture settings lower Quality etc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom