1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Is The Best mini DV Tape ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by AAA, Sep 17, 2002.

1. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which Is The Best mini DV Tape ?

I use mainly Panasonic DVC Linear Plus and I am very happy with it.

Can somebody with a lot of experience tell us which is the best mini DV tape, which will give us visible better picture ( and less wearing the video heads,...)?

Thank you very much.

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there used to be a problem with mixing different brands on the same cam. Something to do with different adhesives I seem to remember. Gave bad head wear. But now this is all standardised. The tapes you're using are as good as any. You could try SUPER linear plus, but I don't think (personally) that the extra cost is worth it.

3. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I bought a pack of the 'Super Linear Plus' and I couldn't tell the difference, except the price of course. However, I'm no expert and would love someone to provide a factual answer to this question.

To me, it seems that one DV tape is fairly much the same as the next, as the information is digital, so as long as it can store the info on the tape, a better tape quality is useless. The 'Super Linear Plus' tapes claim 'four times more density' than normal tapes. Well, so what. Unless the camera is suddenly going to start storing more information on the tape, ie using less compression, it's going to make no difference at all.

Do any cameras detect the tape type and increase the bit rate for higher quality tapes?

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

4. liy

liy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The view here in the United States seems to be quite different: Mixing different brand of DV tapes is a no-no (this is repeated often in newsgroups, forums, etc.)! The prevailing view, as taken off of a major newsgroup:

"Is there any significant differences between different brands of miniDV
    >tapes, such as $4.67 TDK tapes and $6.50 Premium Sony tapes (neither has
    > a memory chip)?

Probably not, in the short run...
    There is no info I know of that compares tapes for long-term
    storage, though. There is a possible problem with tape-brand
    switching, after using one type for a while (there have been
    enough horror stories related to discourage one from doing
    this...). Complicating that is the fact that only a few
    makers produce all the brands of Mini-DV tape, so you don't
    know when you are using the same tape, or not... As for
    prices, the Sony PR is available for under $5/tape from
    various sellers, including www.taperesources.com. The
    more expensive EX claims a slightly higher s/n ratio, but
    this is only relevant for dropout rate and storage
    characteristics, not immediate picture/sound quality...

David Ruether
    rpn1@cornell.edu
    http://www.ferrario.com/ruether
    Hey, check out www.visitithaca.com too...!"

I would love to have one or two major mini-dv camcorder manufacturers take a public stand on this issue!

LIY

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to admit David, that although it's now supposed to be 'OK' to mix different brands of tape in the same cam, I stick to the same brand - Panasonic. To be honest, I don't see any good reason for mixing tapes if the brand you're using gives good results.