Which is the best mini-DV camera?

S

scook17

Which mini-DV camera on the market currently has the best video and still picture quality? Perhaps the Sony VX2000 or TRV950, or the Cannon XM2 or GL2? How does my current Panasonic MX350 rate against these cameras?

I noticed mini-DV uses a 5:1 compression ratio when storing information onto mini-DV tape. Is there a camera I can use which uses no compression, or a lower compression ratio? All the cameras today seem to be increasing the video resolution, but none seem to be dropping the compression ratio. Do you need to go to another format eg DVPRO or DVCAM to get a better picture resolution?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

BTW, the specs on my Panasonic MX350 are:

3x570k CCD
Leica Dicomar 12x Optical Zoom Lens
3.5" LCD Monitor
SD-Multimedia Card Slot (8MB Card Supplied)
1.8 Mega Still Images
Optical Image Stabiliser
PC connection - USB. RS232C, DV Out
DV Input, Analogue Input
Built-in Flash

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

I started my camcorder course tonight and one guy brought along a sony VX2000. I was suprised to see it wasn't as large as I thought. I'd go for this one, if it wasn't so expensive and had been updated recently. It would be jut my luck to buy one, only to have Sony update it the month after with a much better one!

I read today Panasonic are to bring out a MX500 which will be somewhat better than all of the other models currently available. Apparently it's available in Japan at the moment, and there seems to be a lot of interest on the German sites about it.

The DVCAM one is one of those huge, professional camera. I want something camcorder sized or perhaps a bit bigger, but nothing shoulder mounted. Thanks anyway.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

I had a look at the MX500 on the Pana Japan website. It didn't look that special (from a five minute flypast). Your MX350 is as good as it gets with the consumer models.

The AG-DVC15 isn't that big really. I'm told that the guts of it is the old NV-MX100 placed into a pro cam chassis.

If all you're doing to interviewing or single location recording, then your camera with a tripod should be sweet. DVC15 is good for wandering around though. Shoulder mount makes it heaps easier to walk and shoot.

The details of the MX500 is on the UK panasonic site. Basically they have gone from 3x570K CCDs to 3x800K CCDs but dropped the zoom from x12 to x10. Looks like my MX350 has been replaced, one month after I bought it!

They are replacing digital camcorders a such a rate, the reviewers don't even have chance to review them! I've never been able to find a review for the MX350. I found a few for the MX300 which they replaced with mine before I had a chance to buy one!

It's a shame no one makes a consumer model that uses the DvPro50 format. This is twice the data rate (to/from tape) of the consumer DV format.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Hi,

From your "suggested" cam's go for the VX2000,
The only downside is the "fixed lens" and lack of XLR inputs (This can be fixed however at an additional cost) apart from that picture quality is fantastic...

In poor light it will knock the spots off any other in the range.
Is well balanced and works great...

Kind regards all

Yes, everyone says the VX2000 is the best camera. However, given a lot of the new cameras now have about twice the CCD resolution of the VX2000, why does the VX2000 still come back as the best camera and the one everyone recommends?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Everyone has there own opinions...
For me its a quality product.. (Not just because its Sony).. its a quality lens... VERY sharp fantastic low light properties.

Easy to handle all the switchgear "feels" quality made..

Kindest regards.

Another camera which hasn't been mentioned is the Canon XL1s. A great camera which also takes EF 35mm lenses and filters. ;)

The XL1S looks like a professional camera and from what I'm told, doesn't balance too well. If you wanted a 'professional' camera, then you would buy one of those shoulder mounted ones. What I want is the best camcorder around, but in a prosumer camcorder size.

From the cannon range, I much prefer the XM2 which has a 410K 1/4" CCD and a 58mm lens like the VX2000. It can take slightly higher resolution still images, but because of the smaller CCD I imagine the VX2000 would work to a lower light level. The XM2 SHOULD produce a better picture than the VX2000 but I seem to get the impression this is NOT the case?

Is the XM2 the same camera as the GL2? For some reason model names seem to be different here in Europe than the US. I've never seen the GL1 or GL2 for sale here. Would they be called the XM1 and XM2 over here?

http://www.canon.co.uk/digitalcamcorders/index.html
http://www.canondv.com/gl2/index.html

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Gl1/2 is the same as XM over here...
Neither are as good picture quality as vx2000...

The Xl 1s is a great camera and benefits over the Vx with interchagable lens's but IMHO picture quality is no better... and VX is "better balanced" (hand held).

I appreciate that some people do, but i do not use Camcorder for "stills" so this is not important for me.

Kind regards all.

It's interesting that even through the VX2000 is now over two years old (launched around July 2000) that no other camera generates better video pictures, according to everything I've read.

Two years is a very long time in a fast moving market like digital camcorders. I'm convinced whatever I buy, it will be outdated in six months. I'm just wondering how long it will be before the VX2000 gets a facelift, given Sony's recent release of the TRV950.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom