Which is the best broad band service? Please

Julio V

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi every body,

Could you please let me know the quality of broadband which is offered by homeChoice?

Is it 1Mb speed? or slower than its description?

Any ideas about the other reliable broad band services with competetive price?

I am living in London UK
Thanks in advance

Recommending an ISP is difficault to do. You will get one person advise you to steer well clear of 'XYZ', and then somebody else will say they have been with them for years and had no problems. I would suggest you have a read through ADSL User Guide site and have a look at the user reports on the different ISP's. You can then check on the things that are most important to you, be it price or reliability etc.

In case you want to know, I use Nildram as my ADSL provider. They are certainly not the cheapest around but I've had no problems with them over the past 2+ years. The above site gave them top marks when I was searching for an ADSL ISP and that is why I went with them.

Mark.

I have had no experience of Home Choice, but Here is a comparison of them against Nildram. Nildram come out top each month on speed, Reliability and customer service. I doubt this proves too much and definately wouldn't say HC are bad, just that there are better ISP's out there.

Mark.

if you live in London check to see if you can get BeThere. They had awful press for the first few months but they've really sorted themselves out now. The service is "up to" 24MB depending on your line length and quality and of that I'm currently enjoying the lightning speeds of an 18MB connection, unlimited, unshaped and only £24 a month. No downtime and no problems with it so far.

www.bethere.co.uk

Julio V said:
Hi every body,

Could you please let me know the quality of broadband which is offered by homeChoice?

Is it 1Mb speed? or slower than its description?

Any ideas about the other reliable broad band services with competetive price?

I am living in London UK
Thanks in advance

Plusnet are pretty good. Let me recommend you?
[ .... another 50p/month off my bill :) ]

anyone else want to be recommended?

Pipex, pipex and pipex or pipex, Pipex, pipex and pipex or pipex, Pipex, pipex and pipex or pipex, and did I mention Pipex ??

*****DONT***** Go with Tiscali !!!!!!!

1st rule is that you need to make sure that the day you get connected you have 10 days to make sure that your happy with their service. Check the download speeds and make a note about every call/complaint you make to your isp. Reason for the 10 days is that once the 10 days have expited your "cool off" period has expired and your locked into a 12 month contract.

Check the download speeds are roughly what you expect - Use Microsofts web site as download tester (fastest one I have found yet).

A good site for reference is as follows - check the "user comments on ISPs" section:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/

Just check out the number of people that are trying to cancel their subscription or are complaining about performance.

My final tip is that you get what you pay for - Tiscali are 14.99 and complete tosh :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: and pipex at 23.00 are amazing :D :D :D :D :D for EXACLY the same service (pipex thow in 1000 minutes of phone calls every month as well).

Ok, I have a 2MB connection with Homechoice and have been with them for 10 months now. The connection regularly goes down and the Homechoice box needs rebooting to get it restarted. In the last 24 hours, I've had to reboot the box a dozen times. When it works, it's fine but the service is very intermittant.

Regarding their customer service, we spoke at 11am. I was told a technical person would call me back within 2 hours. It's not 11:30pm and still waiting.

Personally I'm planning to switch back to BT and cancel my direct debit in the next week.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND HOMECHOICE.

James

Another Nildram user here.... been with them for 3 years now and not once had a problem with them or the service. I pay £26 a month for 2mb and 50gb a month usage (off peak hours don't count). They are also trialling 8mb speeds soon.

The thing to be wary of at the moment is the refreshing of exchanges by BT, it's a slow process and certain exchanges have already been enabled/upgraded for higher speeds and certain providers (talk talk for example) are making this available to all there users.... even to those who's exchanges haven't been updated... which is causing all sorts of connection problems because peoples lines can't cope with the increase in volume. My parents are with Talk Talk and they have constant disconnects every 10-15 mins or so because they've been whacked upto 6mb a second, even though there line tests report it can't cope with that speed. So when choosing a provider, I'd personnaly go with one that has a decent track record and will be able to sort out these higher speed teething problems.

Like someone said before some people will say 1 is great another will say there poor.

Best thing to do is go with someone thats doesn't tie you down to 12 month contract.

Dont forget to read the small print there are lot of companies that will say unlimited when there not they have fair usage policy in small print.

I heard Pipex have gone down hill a bit not sure if its true but Im with Freedom2surf who are owned by Pipex seemed to be alright except they tried stiffing me on giving me 1mb connection when my area supports 2mb saying I will have to pay £15 for the upgrade dure 2mb wasn't available when I signed up which is a lie came from BT 2mb.

Watch out for what happened to me some companies try stuff like that.

Last thing don't buy equipment from the providers they sell them for well over the odds.

Pipex are pretty good, but their customer services stinks, but fortunately you don't need CS too often ! I've been with Pipex for a few years now, and I'm not seeking to change. There's very few ISP's that will allow less than a year's contract without charging you a fee to cancel.

I used Pipex for a couple of years and had no problems after they sorted out my line. I'm now with Zen who are quite expensive but are totally relaible and customer service is superb. They are now doing an 8 meg service thats good value.

I will add to the Pipex camp. I have used them since dial up and the service is very reliable. Very few problems. It is expensive though and they are slow to add new technology. So I am considering changing as both UK online and BeThere now offer 24mbs for less than I pay for 2mbs from Pipex.

Of course I may live to regret it!

Only big names dont offer less then 12 month contract but the companies that got wholesale will not have 12month contracts loads of them if look around.

Zen are good provider but expensive

I said it before Pipex and Freedom2surf are the same company so check to see which ones cheapest.

24mbs is only available in few areas.

8mb was annouced to be launced national end of April and 24mb should be more wide spread by end of Aug.

Zen also only ask for 1 month contract with all of there home services :D

Yes they do I think the ones that only have month contracts know they can provide a good service thats why they dont tie you down to 12 months.

Another thing to watch for is lot of companies will try and get you to switch your phone over to them becareful of this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom