1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is the best bet in these Sale TV's?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Bettingmad, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Bettingmad

Bettingmad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These sale 'bargains' have caught my eye and feedback on any of them would be greatly appreciated. I am upgrading from a 26" non widescreen for a large lounge.

£699 Toshiba 32" 32ZP46P supposedly reduced from £1,199

£699 Loewe 32" Aventos 3781

£699 Toshiba 42WH46P Rear Projection - the one in the showroom had 2 lines running down the screen on the left and right side

£799 Samsung 42" SP42Q2HLX/XEU Rear Projection

£849 LG 40" RE40N26ORB Rear Projection with tuner

If anyone knows of some other TV I should be considering please let me know.

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If you have not had experience of 100htz tvs ,try and get a demo first they are a lot different to 50htz sets.The processing used does sharpen images but adds to digital picture noise.

3. mybmw323

mybmw323

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    House of Fraser in Bristol selling 36" Panansonic PD50 for £1300. In Addition if you were to buy today using their store card you could get another £130.00 of the price, bringing it down to £1170.00. Delivery and instalation charge is £30.00.

5 year guarentee also included. This beats any Internet price that I have seen

4. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Panasonic TX-32PM1 at Comet for £399 is very cheap.

A. Dork

5. Bettingmad

Bettingmad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PD 50 certainly gets a good word:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7232

But it's quite a bit more expensive than the ones I listed.

I saw the £399 Panasonic one advertised but it seems a bit old hat. Only 50 hz thought I would buy a 100hz. Though I do have a Panasonic 24DX in another room which I am happy with.

6. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    What the difference between the Toshiba 32ZP46P listed above and the the 32ZP48? I can only find reference the the 48 not the 46 on the toshiba site, but I have found the 46 listed at ............... oh never mind, I did eventually find it useing the compare feature of the toshiba site. The 46 dosen't have any of the decent sound procesing capabilities, and for only £40 cheaper is probably not worth it!

7. Bettingmad

Bettingmad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked out the House of Fraser site and they have a Philips 32PW9788 at £799 which is 50% off and is much dearer anywhere else. It also has a 5 year guarantee. It looks OK - anyone got one?

8. pseudoswitch

pseudoswitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered the Panasonic 32pm1 from Comet the other day for £399....they called today to say that the batch of these tvs they had did not pass their testing procedures, and had all been withdrawn from sale.

Maybe they should test their equipment before advertising them for sale????

Second time i have received disgraceful customer service from Comet, there won't be a third time.

9. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Just as I suspected - £399 for this set is VERY cheap. In my opinion, they never intended to sell many (if any) at this price. Just a gimmick to get punters through the door.

A. Dork

10. jamiesneddon

jamiesneddon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Me too. :mad:

www.cometsucks.com

11. al_london

al_london

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else heard from Comet to say that either:
    a) the batch of TVs is faulty
    or
    b) they have taken orders for stock that doesn't exist?

I bought one for my parents on Boxing Day to be delivered on 04/01 and want to know whether to advise them to call Comet to check if it exists or whether to reject it when it is delivered.

Advice greatfully received...

Cheers,
    Al

12. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I take it u either paid a deposit or the full price and therefore u had a contract with COMET. For comet to say it failed a test after advertising is a bit rich. What about panasonic they have very strict testing porcedures. I would complain to panasonic for releasing a bad batch of tv's and insist they suppl u with one for the price u agreed. I would then contact watchdog and threaten COMET with all sorts of action. Just imagine advertising a car at a cheap price and then saying it failed the safety test!!!

u are being fobbed off.

gbmitie

13. jamiesneddon

jamiesneddon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought you might be interested to know that I also bought one of these 'sale' TVs. Paid in full on boxing day. I was informed by their call centre that the batch was withdrawn after Comet quality tested them. Is that flying pigs on the horizon?

After reporting them to advertising standards and Trading standards and a long drawn out discussion on their website. They have just found a TV - funny that after I said i was reporting them....They tried to say at first that stock was not available in my area. I know this is BS because of all the other complaints about this in this forum. Comet have had 7 upheld complaints with ASA in the last 2 years. I have cancelled my order because I cant trust them to deliver.