1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is the best 36" TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Peter33, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Peter33

Peter33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m looking for THE perfect TV (Oh well, I’m quite picky so I’ll probably won’t find anything perfect but maybe something that comes close). I'm looking for a 36" or larger. After checking around a bit I have the following candidates:

Philips 36PW9527 / 36PW9765
    Sony KV-36FS76
    Toshiba 36ZP18
    Hitachi C36F810
    Panasonic TX-36PB50 / TX-PG50
    JVC HV32D25EUW

I wouldn’t mind a 40” Loewe either but it’s just too expensive for me. The JVC model is just a 32” but it has something called D.I.S.T. which supposedly competes with Philips Pixel Plus. Unfortunately I haven’t found a 36” with D.I.S.T.

Anyone that has any experiences from any of these models? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Which is the best choice in your opinion and why? Are there models that I’ve missed that should be in the race?

Has anyone compared D.I.S.T. with Pixel Plus?

I suffer from quite a bit of decision anxiety and my choice changes from one day to the next. At the moment it’s the Philips models with Pixel Plus and the Sony that’s in the top. Philips Pixel Plus models has come out well in quite a few reviews but I’ve also heard that they’re not very good at handling fast movements and that they’re not doing well handling analogue signals that are less than perfect.

Most important is a great picture since I’m planning to get a separate sound system. The TV will be used for DVD, VCR and Analogue broadcasts (a lot of sports). I’m planning to buy a DVD as soon as I made my mind up concerning the TV. The DVD will probably be a Philips 963SA with component output. Unfortunately I think it’s only the Toshiba that has a component input. I’m also planning to use the DVD together with a projector that hopefully isn’t too far off in the future.

I haven’t seen these models for myself yet (except for the Philips 36PW9527 but that was with a lousy signal). What’s your opinion which is the best TV?

/Peter33:confused:

2. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise that some people on this forum are VERY pleased with their P+ phillips.
    But, and I know I've written it before, I think they are over processed and lousy.
    Some on wrote that it makes the picture look 3D but the picture ain't meant to look 3D so its odd. The motion control, making objects 'glide', the same person said 'once your used to it, you don't notice it'????What nonsese is that!
    It pixalates badly with moving images, get the same disc running through the P+ and compare to say a SOny or Tosh( I'm not keen on the toshes, had 5 18p/q's) and loss of detail in these moving objects, such as people moving across the screen ( not in the DOF of the camera) and the p+ makes the image so blurred.
    All DVD films take on a cheap American TV film look.
    Compare side by side and make your choice, initially on its own its seems inpressive,but there must be some very guilable peolple and good backhanders, going to the reviewers.
    I have the fs76 (sony) it aint perfect, but after some adjusments in the service menus, its the best I think I'll get.
    Also sofware setup is better, you can assign AV inputs to channels and attenute volumes of sepate channels.
    Plus P and P which I find useful.
    Also check the Phillips awful Straight line (vertical geometry), I aint seen a good one yet. Build Quality poor on case plastic edges.
    Well, that will start them off!

3. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spend an extra £400 and get the 36NX200. It's a beauty!

4. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am having similar problems in deciding which 36" CRT to go for. I started expecting to buy the Tosh, but the loss of PIP and some text facilities made me widen the search.

I don't really like the Phillips, the Tosh seems to have some geometry problems and very few features, the Panny seems expensive for what you get and I haven't seen the Hitachi.

That left me with the Sony FS76 which is a bit expensive, isn't up to Sony's normal standard of pretty design and doesn't have prog scan. I am still leaning to this as when I have seen more than one make of 36" side by side, the Sony has always had the best picture (after adjustment of each set). I had a look at the NX200, but it's a lot more for a single Digital tuner, a memory stick and the loss of SCART RGB and PIP. Yes it's a lot prettier, but at the end of the day it's the same tube as the FS76, and that's what you will be watching most of the time. If there had been stock before Xmas I would probably have gone for the FS76 by now.

The best thing i to go and see some of these sets as a starting point, and review the archives for what people have said about them. Ther's no such thing as a perfect 36" CRT, just one which displays anomalies you either don't notice or can live with.

5. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have a tx36pb50 and have had NOTHING but problems.
    I have had a new tube, and two tuners replaced all under warranty.
    The set is still faulty. It now has diagonal scrolling lines. Another trip the service depot coming up.

Apart from the faults, the tv is great when working, with good picture and sound. It does have a little buzz but I would say not loud enough to hear it over the volume of the TV, even when set low.

I personally would save up somemore cash and get the Loewe.

Whatever you do buy from a local authorised dealer and not off the internet. Some people have had major problems getting repair or exchanges from internet companies.

DJM is rightwhen he says you cannot get a perfect 36inch tube tv.
    You just have to pick one with less faults than the other ones out there.

6. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

i too suffered from 'decision anxiety' so much so that i ended up swapping TV's about 6 times. During the swaps i used TVs made by Philips P+, Sony Dx100 & FS76, Toshiba ZP18, and Panasonic PB50 and PL 1.

My findings were: Sony TVs have the best all round picture. You sit with your nose to the screen on the sonys and only see the scan lines. On the Phillips P+ and the Panny theres all manner of nasty 100hz artifacts. True the picture on these sets does look good from a distance, but to me, that is just a cop out, the TV either does a good job on close inspection or it doesnt.

The Toshiba ZP18 does have good picture quality, however the screen gets lighter at the edges. That was unbearable for me, all the dark space films i watched made me angry at the telly!

In my Humble Opinion the best 36" TV on the market today is the Sony KV36FS76. Best picture quality, best looker. I bought my FS76 in september02 and i still marvel at it every day i turn it on!

[​IMG]

7. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bigfatlad,

the fs76 on the non-standard stand you have does look better, but IMHO it's still not pretty like the NX200 or classic like the Tosh ZP18. And, the cost of your stand puts the price up into the NX200 range.

One thing which I am interested in which I hope you can answer as you have had experience of these sets is : how do each survive with fast moving action. In particular motor racing and football. Since I watch a fair amount of these and most of my viewing will be terrestial TV (initially analogue) do you still favour the Sony?

8. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies to the original poster guys, i ordered a Fs76 on Sunday and im foaming at the mouth here in anticipation as i have to wait around 2 weeks for stock, so you positive comments are making me feel good about my choice. (i actually thought i was auditioning the Fs76 in the shop and it turned out to be a Fs70, so i was wondering about my choice...) So thanks again Fs76 owners for putting my mind at rest.

9. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the 36FS70 and never had a problem watching footy or motor racing. My new 36NX200 doesn't show up these problems either and uses the same display technology as the 36FS76

10. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks alim

manuman - where did you buy, how much did you pay, what guarantee did you get and when did they quote for delivery. If you don't mind me asking.

11. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DJM,

'how do each survive with fast moving action. In particular motor racing and football'

Well im not a big sports fan (i be a geek) but during testing the TVs out i always put a bit of motor racing on. I found on the poorer sets that the tarmac of the race track seemed to move and shimmer as camera pans across it. I put this down to poor 100hz implementation. The sony FS76 does not suffer from this.

Also when viewing fast movement on the P+ set sometimes it seemed as tho the picture would stutter (ie poor Motion control) Again i dont see this on the sony.

My friend is big footy fan and has a FS70 and sky digital. The only time ive heard him complain was when the bit rate of the channel was too low and the picture looked very poor (the ball was almost not round). When the bit rate is high the footy looks great.

Honestly guys, im not a sony fan boy, and didnt think i was picky until i used some of the other sets. The sony picture is the best, faces look natural, solid colours (ie roads and pitches) dont shimmer, and it will make you smile every time you watch it!...it really is that good to my eyes.

The only 'fault' i could find with the FS76 was the brutally ugly UK stand. Hence, the design stand now sits under my set.

You are right DJM, the price of the stand does put the TV up to NX200 prices, but the NX200 is ugly. Looks to me like it was designed as a childs toy. All plastic and safe curves. (sorry NX200 owners) Plus the Design stand is a bit of feature, how many others have it???

12. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks for the feedback bigfatlad. Good to know the TV appear to be sound. Can't agree about the NX200 though. I like it. It's the FS76 that is ugl.. sorry I mean unusual. The standard stand is really ugl... unusual. Your stand makes a bigt difference, but I would rather use the extra money on getting a dual digital receiver.

13. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought mine from Sound and Vision, Bolton, cost me £1475.00, I'll have to get back to you on the guarantee as i dont have the paperwork to hand, and delivery is quoted as 2 weeks as of Sunday just gone.

Hope that helped mate.

Keep the FS76 comments coming please if you own the set, i enjoy reading owners comments/experiences.

14. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I am very interested in the jvc 32d25 model with 1250 lines resolution, i think it only comes in 32 inch though. I tried to find a few reviews by owners but nothing so far. Apparently the D.I.s..t
    technology has won an award in europe for the best inovation.

Of what I gather this tv has better picture quality than the pixel plus models without associated problems. But on board sound is pretty average. Picture detail is suppose to be pretty good also has component input from the specs I have seen on the jvc site.

I was going to buy the pixel plus model but after seeing it and being impressed, but apparently from this forum if you are unlucky you could get a dud with alot of problems.

these are the two sets I am interested in at the moment.

15. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some thing else I meant to add, skin tones are more natural on the sony, as to that of the zp18, not so orangy. Also blacks retain slightly more detail.
    I too thought the sony 76 was any ugly brute, but I has grown on me. Its side profile is good and front on, the stand with shiny kit on it, looks better than in the shop.
    I feel the set will 'date ' less quickly as it is alredy dated!, but funtional and I must add that all visitors seem to likes its looks compared to the 18p, saying it looks better made and 'a real TV' what ever the **** that means!
    Shelves are not very adjustable and will need extra holes drilled in the aluminium sides for greater flexibility.
    Sound is ok and PAP has becme invaluble when I'm looking for spare tape to record and not interrupting the other halfs viewing, also good for channel surfing without misssing bits.
    Will have RF headphones linked so I can do me cooking while the other whatches in peace....yea right!

16. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought my Sony DAVS-800 from Sound and Vision. They were very pushy as far as selling was concerned, but the DVD turned up on-time and in good shape. They didn't offer anything but the standard ggt with it though

17. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too thought the sony 76 was any ugly brute

I disagree, I think the FS76 stand is far from 'ugly' but better described as classy.
    I think the sight of trailing cables behind a TV stand can be described as ugly which will be the case with most of these minimal stands that are available.

The FS76 is a well thought out design which is better suited to concealing a mass of cable connections and with the base providing a third shelf....well handy

18. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, my mate has the Fsq75 or something and doesnt like the look of the fs70 as it matters to him how it also looks switched off, i bought a smart alphason av stand to go with my fs76 and i can honestly say it looks smart switched off as well as on,

19. Peter33

Peter33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the good info - keep it coming. :)

It seems the Sony is very popular. From what I can gather from other threads Philips Pixel Plus gives great pictures as long as there is not to much movement going on but has some trouble when there's alot of action. It also seems like alot of people has had alot of trouble with their Philips TV. I´ve heard the same thing about Sony tv's (well actually there's stories about most brands) but not so much concerning the FS76.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find very many 36" TV's at local stores. Next week I'm working in Stockholm and I hope I'll be able to get away and find some of theese TV's and check them out for myself.

Anyone that has seen a JVC model with D.I.S.T? I'm very interested in finding out how the picture compares.

/Peter33