1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is 'Technically' Superior?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by General Skanky, Feb 28, 2002.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    My Pioner 737 outputs NTSC Prog scan or PAL Interlaced via the component outputs which is fine.
    I've been flicking between (for PAL discs) the S Video picture and the interlaced picture to see if there is a great difference. I suspect not.
    Does anyone know what difference there may be and if so, is there really any visible benefit of one over the other?
    From simply looking at it, I'd say the interlaced picture just has the edge, if at all.

2. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to offer an opinion but could you clarify please? What are you actually comparing, is it s-video vs component both interlaced PAL or PAL interlaced vs NTSC progressive?

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sorry, S Video vrs Interlaced PAL.
    Thanks.

4. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So its s-video vs intelaced PAL on component?

If so then:

How much improvement there will be from s-video to component depends upon the equipment in question and the viewer's own opinion of course.

However, in theory, component carries the three main video signals required for a colour image, namely the luminance detail image and two colour difference signals. Component is the method used to store video for DVD and DTV/HDTV and so in theory if everything is reasonbly well designed and implemented then component output is the best way to deliver the video image to other devices (this includes RGB).

To create a s-video signal the colour difference signals of the component YUV format must be modified to create a composite modulated colour signal. This involves, phase changes, amplitude changes and bandwidth limiting. The luminance signal should remain the same as with the component format.

It has been reported with many s-video systems that cross-talk between the composite colour signal and luminance channel can occur and to a detrimental extent on some DVD players and other devices as well as colour phase errors and additional amplification distortions in the s-video decode stage.

Although generally s-video is a convenient and good quality signal format, component should produce the better colour accuracy, saturation, noise and detail.

The only real way to tell is to compare the two under equal conditions. Theory aside, the reality can often be quite different!

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks.
    My screen goes up this weekend and I'll be looking at it closely.
    It seems very good via comp out so I'd guess that'll be the winner.
    At least it'll save me having two cables coming out of the back of the pioneer. Then I could run an S Video feed from my Yamaha DVD to play those films the pioneer won't.:rolleyes: :D

6. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't agree with this at all.

The difference between S-Video and Component(interlaced signal) is very subtle. The only difference between the two connections is chroma bandwidth (AKA chroma detail), and there isn't that much chroma bandwidth in real material.
    Saturation is unchanged -- red looks just as red through an S-Video as through a component connection.
    Where you would theoretically see a difference is on scenes with lots of small areas of contrasting color, like a long shot of a sporting event, with people in brightly colored shirts in the stands.

If you see a significant difference between the two, it probably means there is a significant voltage difference between the S-Video and Component outputs on the player, or a difference in settings between the two inputs on the TV/display.
    Proper calibration will remove those differences.

That said, I still use component connections whenever possible.
    :)

7. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,689
    Eric, I think your comment 'very wrong' is a bit strong.

Lets face it if a DVD is encoded in component form then it is better for this signal to go straight to the projector. All that is required is a matrix to get rgb to drive the colour guns.

If you use the Svideo conection the dvd signal has to be encoded to PAL or NTSC sent through the cable to the projector only to be decoded the other end! This is all extra processing which will degrade the signal. (It is quite correct to say the chrominence bandwith is limited with s video)

Yes I know the extra processing can sometimes 'enhance' the signal - and some may like this - but that is another story!

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Lets keep it clean boys. ;)

9. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cliff,

I agree.
    My comment looks a bit agressive. :(
    I apologize. I didn't mean to offend you. In fact, I'll edit the post, now.
    :D :) ;)

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Guy

Li on as tested the Panasonic with an iscan V1 here