• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

which is faster, eSata or usb 3.0?

Monkeyman1

Standard Member
hiya, not sure if this is the correct section but im a bit lost lol. i have a external harddrive currently connected with usb 2.0. im getting a new laptop soon with usb 3.0 but have been reading about esata, being a complete novice can i use esata with my external hard drive? and even if i could would it be faster then usb 3?

cheers :)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
To transfer to and from a drive connected internally via SATA then I'd imagine eSATA is going to be faster than USB 3 in almost all circumstances.

However, both of them are currently fast enough that it's the hard drive that's the limiting factor and not the connection.

You won't be able to use an existing USB 2 hard drive with USB 3, the usb connection will still work but it'll run at USB 2 speeds, and you can only use it with eSATA if it's got an eSATA port on it.

MarkE19

eSATA has a theoretical transfer speed of 3Gbit/s
USB3.0 has a theoretical transfer speed of 5Gbit/s

However as already stated the actual HDD will not work anywhere near these speeds - actual read from the platter to cache will be around 70MB/s for a 7200rpm HDD.

all speeds found in the following links:
SATA II
USB3.0
HDD

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom