Which is easier to play .ts or .mpg ?

stefmcd

Novice Member
I have a .mpg hd file which plays super smoothly with windvd - its 1080i

I also have a .ts file which judders as if my pc can't handle it - it is also supposed to be 1080i - windvd won't play it but vlc will.

Is .mpg format generally easier for a pc to play?

What else could be causing this? Vlc?
any comments welcome.
:)

dan1979

The films will have different bit rates so you're not comparing like for like. On my system it makes no difference though I use Theatertek for everything

stefmcd

Novice Member
So its neither the format nor the software player but the film itself?

and the only way too know if my pc can play an hd file is presumably to discover the bitrate?

stefmcd

Novice Member
Well if anyone has similar problems - the solution is to convert with hdtv2mpeg2 then playback with windvd6.

All problems are sorted based on my testing so far. Thanks to all those who helped.

mattross

Spoonhead

Originally quoted by stefmcd
Well if anyone has similar problems - the solution is to convert with hdtv2mpeg2 then playback with windvd6.

All problems are sorted based on my testing so far. Thanks to all those who helped.

I've had real problems with this software. Don't know why, but when I try to convert a .ts file the program just closes without any error messages. I'm using the latest version, but I'm a bit stumped. Is there a file size issue?

Regards

dannyg81

Novice Member
stefmcd said:

But why would you want to convert the TS file? A .ts file (Transport Stream) basically IS an mpeg file.... the .ts extension is just a container or carrier thats used to transport MPEG video and audio data. The kind thats aired in america and recorded on TIVO's for example. Converting to MPEG2 will only result in a loss of quality.

Get hold of a piece of software called Graph edit and run your TS file through it to see exactly what mpeg codec is being used to decode your TS file.... if it's windows own bog standard MPEG codec then thats why you're getting stuttering, it's slow as hell and completely inefficient for Hi Def ts files. In order to playback a TS file all you need is something as simple as PowerDVD 6.... cyberlinks own SP/Video decoder for DVD's plays them back flawlessly, and is a lot better than the windows default! And you don't need to view them through PowerDVD either, whatever media layer you use will pick up cyberlinks SP/Video codec automatically.

T

toast666

Media Player Classic plays .ts files ok, even on my fairly low specced PC...

stefmcd

Novice Member
gazzared_typer said:
I've had real problems with this software. Don't know why, but when I try to convert a .ts file the program just closes without any error messages. I'm using the latest version, but I'm a bit stumped. Is there a file size issue?

Regards

Have you got the latest version? Once I worked out the basics - you just tick two boxes then click process - voila your output file.

stefmcd

Novice Member
dannyg81 said:
But why would you want to convert the TS file? A .ts file (Transport Stream) basically IS an mpeg file.... the .ts extension is just a container or carrier thats used to transport MPEG video and audio data. The kind thats aired in america and recorded on TIVO's for example. Converting to MPEG2 will only result in a loss of quality.

Get hold of a piece of software called Graph edit and run your TS file through it to see exactly what mpeg codec is being used to decode your TS file.... if it's windows own bog standard MPEG codec then thats why you're getting stuttering, it's slow as hell and completely inefficient for Hi Def ts files. In order to playback a TS file all you need is something as simple as PowerDVD 6.... cyberlinks own SP/Video decoder for DVD's plays them back flawlessly, and is a lot better than the windows default! And you don't need to view them through PowerDVD either, whatever media layer you use will pick up cyberlinks SP/Video codec automatically.

I'll try powerdvd6 then.
To be honest you're the first person to say there would be a loss in quality converting and the process is so quick that I doubt there is any serious re-encoding going on. Certainly the resultant image looks identical - just plays smoothly.
I've tried media classic (the klm codec 138)
VLC
Nero showtime
Windvd 7 (wouldn't work at all for some reason)

The only smooth performance is as described - converting to mpeg and playing via windvd6.

I'll try powerdvd as a last throw of the dice.

stefmcd

Novice Member
Tried powerdvd6. Both with original .ts files and the converted mpeg. Stutters on both.
To give you folks an understanding my machine is

AMD2000XP
Radeon 8500
384mb ram

When I say low spec I mean -lllloooooowwwww spec!

dannyg81

Novice Member
I'm not sure about WinDVD but the others don't come with there own mpeg decoders... Nero might, but it's not the best. Out of all the ones I tried, PowerDVD 6 was by far the best.

As far as converting to mpg goes... the loss in quality is debateable, I'll agree, but there is some conversion going on there, and my point was, that it's unneccessary.... as you should be able to play the .ts files without a hitch. The problem, I'm convinced, lies elsewhere.

Give graph edit a try.... it really is a great utility and shows you exactly whats being used to process media files. And it will also tell you what mpeg decoder is being used, which I'm pretty sure is your problem.

EDIT: Just read the above post.... some more ram will DEFINITELY help as well! :D

stefmcd

Novice Member
dannyg81 said:
I'm not sure about WinDVD but the others don't come with there own mpeg decoders... Nero might, but it's not the best. Out of all the ones I tried, PowerDVD 6 was by far the best.

As far as converting to mpg goes... the loss in quality is debateable, I'll agree, but there is some conversion going on there, and my point was, that it's unneccessary.... as you should be able to play the .ts files without a hitch. The problem, I'm convinced, lies elsewhere.

Give graph edit a try.... it really is a great utility and shows you exactly whats being used to process media files. And it will also tell you what mpeg decoder is being used, which I'm pretty sure is your problem.

EDIT: Just read the above post.... some more ram will DEFINITELY help as well! :D

Will try graph edit.
BTW the file I am playing is 15 bitrate.
Looking at your spec - your cpu is at least 25% faster, Graphics car probably double the power and 2.5 times the ram. I know I can get these running in virtually any software if I spend 150 quid. The challenge is to do it wth what I've got!

stefmcd

Novice Member
toast666 said:
CPU AMD XP3000+
1.5Gig RAM
ATI 9800XT
WD Raptor HD

So you can see the difference then. Your machine performs roughly at twice the speed of mine.

I think the issue is simply that windvd6 is optimised for my level of spec.

I think its amazing I can get any program to play any hd smoothly never mind a 1080i file.

I was thinking of upgrading the ram to 1gig. How much of an improvement would that make running hd considering the rest of my spec?

Spoonhead

Originally Posted by stefmcd
Have you got the latest version? Once I worked out the basics - you just tick two boxes then click process - voila your output file

The version I have is 1.11.83

The program crashes as soon as I pick a .ts file using the add button. Not many settings to touch, as you say, preety easy, but program just closes.

Gazza

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom