which is correct-speaker level adjustment

gazor

Novice Member
hi all, when setting speaker levels via arcam prossesor using spl meter,setting levels correctly, then doing the same process but using a thx optimiser on a star wars disc the readings are alot different. on the thx set up, my centre channel is way to high.
so which is best? is it better to use the thx disk as its a dvd being played via arcam dv79, or use the arcam settings which may be better when watching sky?
any knowledge would be gratefull
thanks
gaz

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Bit of a guess here, but I wonder if THX sets up at 85dB and the Arcam at 75dB?

Both figures are used and there's a fair difference.

Is the centre miles louder than the surrounds or is the whole setup louder when using THX setup?

The question is, which setup sounds more balanced to you?

I'd go with that one.

gazor

Novice Member
Bit of a guess here, but I wonder if THX sets up at 85dB and the Arcam at 75dB?

Both figures are used and there's a fair difference.

Is the centre miles louder than the surrounds or is the whole setup louder when using THX setup?

The question is, which setup sounds more balanced to you?

I'd go with that one.

ive set up speaker levels with the amp originaly, and its ok, but just popped in a thx disc and discovered the differences. i left the settings and watched "fradgile" dvd and the centre seemed very loud, not noticed it before, hence the question. i just wondered if its best to set the prosessor speaker level settings and just leave it at that, or every time i watch a dvd thru the dv79,maybe the centre is set to high. i watch dvds as much as sky, so which should i set the levels to, processor or dvd. i didnt loose any surround effects and the L+R seemed balanced with the centre, but the centre did seem a bit high.
on the levels on the arcam processor, the centre is set 3db higher than the L+R, but it is correct on my spl metre. thx it and its a clog off being correct on the spl meter.
gaz

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Personally I go with SPL readings and ignore everything else.
Then I tinker to find the best overall solution for me, which as it happens, is nowhere near any specs.
I like my rears and sub miles louder than they are supposed to be.
Oh and the centre slightly higher than the fronts.
But that's me.

The way I see it, the so called "supposed to be" specs are just that.

I'd set it all up for the best combination that suits you.
After all, you're the one listening to it :smashin:

mikelj

I know that the video setup on THX disk are "optimised" for the film on that disc (however, some do conform the the standard greyscale levels).

I just wondered whether the test tones on the THX disc are optimsied for the sound mix on that disc?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I don't know for a fact, but it certainly makes sense, so I'd guess the answer is yes.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom