1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which is better yamaha or denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by icequake2002, Jun 23, 2001.

Tags:
  1. icequake2002

icequake2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which amp is better for just films not music yamaha or denon

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What budget are we talking about?

3. icequake2002

icequake2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    grand plus

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it were my money (and it was about 4 month's ago) then i'd choose Denon (i did).
    No regrets what-so-ever.
    The Ax1 is a mighty amp, but IMHO the 10se (with the poa) is better, and the 1se is better still!
    Just by my own ears mind.

5. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The new Denon 3802 may have the answer to all your needs...anyone know the release date,or if your nor worried about Pro logic II the Denon 3801 price will be reduced and will be a bargain.At the moment I have seen it spoken in these forums for £600.Have a demo, hear what you think.
    Philmate.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'll give Denon a call in approx. 5 mins and get back to you tonight.

Oooohhh the suspense!

Rick

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been shopping in a similar way and have been shocked by the agressive priving of the Yamaha. Ive seen the Denon A1SE for 2000,
    the Denon A10SE for 1000 +POA for 200, and the Yamaha DSPAX1 for what seems a bargain 1100.
    However, I am actually veering towards the Onkyo TXDS989 (seen for 1400) - it seems that Onkyo are making a determined effort to make this fully upgradeable and future proof (the latest upgrade was for DTS EX Discrete and Pro Logic 2) (onkyo give you cdrom and cable used to upgrade).

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yeah, it seems as though people forget about the Onkyo in favour of models from Denon/Yamaha. Where did you see the Onkyo advertised for £1400?

In answer to the original question, I still think Yamaha is better than Denon for HT.

Russell

9. icequake2000

icequake2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    the new yamaha models except normal plugs. can you notice the noise of the fan on the back of the denon amps because its the one thing that buts me of buying denon.

10. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The Denon AVC-A1SE is king. QED.
    Mark B

11. icequake2000

icequake2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    so why is denon suppose to be better because of the extra sound formats or because of the quality of the sound

12. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Icequake2000,

Sorry, I should have extrapolated when I said, “I still think Yamaha is better than Denon for HT.” I think, and others may disagree, that a £1100 Yamaha amp will sound *slightly* better than a £1100 Denon amp for home cinema. To my ears, Yamaha amps have a more visceral impact than Denon amps. I think this gives Yamaha a cinematic sound missing from Denon amps. This doesn't help Yamaha in terms of musicality, though. In this respect, Denon amps consistently sound *a lot* better than comparable Yamaha amps - especially the A10SE, which uses a toroidal power supply. The latest Denon amps do have different features over Yamaha, such as THX processing, DTS Neo and 6.1 discrete. But then Yamaha has their rather good (if you like this sort of thing) suite of DSP effects and a proprietary “8.1” mode where two extra speakers are placed along the front wall. It depends on what you like. In my opinion, most people regard Denon over Yamaha because of Denon's superior music making abilities, rather than features.

Russell

13. george1138

george1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess its a personal thing and it depends on what price you get the amps for but I would always go for a Denon. Yamahas are great, i've had 2 yammys myself and loved them. However, the Denons are way better in stereo mode and, in my opinion, they still have the edge on movie soundtracks. I demo'd an AX1 and wasnt impressed, not at £2000 anyway. I know they are a lot cheaper now but according to my local dealer its because they cant sell them. They are just not worth £2000. Given your budget of around £1000+ listen to an AVCA10SE and any similarly priced Yamaha (AX1 if youre lucky) and see what you think. I would go for the Denon everytime (THX rated too :cool: ) whatever you choose, enjoy it!!!!! :)

14. icequake2000

icequake2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thanks for the replys