Which is better XBOX 360 OR PS3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark2010

Standard Member
Reaction score
I dont have either console can anyone tell me is their much difference between the graphics on the XBOX 360 and PS3 ? Also which has the best selection of games ?

All things been equal I'd like to buy a PS3 but I dont think it has as big a range of games than the XBOX 360 does.

I dont have either console can anyone tell me is their much difference between the graphics on the XBOX 360 and PS3 ? Also which has the best selection of games ?

All things been equal I'd like to buy a PS3 but I dont think it has as big a range of games than the XBOX 360 does.

get both:thumbsup: nah oj m8 if you could afford to get both than great i use my 360 all the time as i prefer the online side of things, as thats what all my m8s play.but then i engoy sitting back and watchin a blue ray on my ps3 , do you all ready have a blue ray player ? also what tv would you be running the console on

This has been done so many times use the search button for instant info.

I think the PS3 is better.

Neither is better and the answer to the question is purely opinionated.
The general consensus is that the ps3 is a great media hub, for bluray and ocasional gaming and the 360 is a great games console with excellent online play.

The general consensus is that the ps3 is a great media hub, for bluray and ocasional gaming and the 360 is a great games console with excellent online play.

I have got both, got the PS3 on launch and got the XBOX 360 Elite when it came out. Im not saying the XBOX 360 is rubbish, they are both good but I prefer the PS3. And all my mates have PS3's so I prefer playing online on the PS3 with them.

Last edited:
As a multi-media device (e.g. music/photos/tv/bluray/dvd/internet & games) the PS3 is the best option.

As a gaming device I would say the 360 has more choice, a superior back catalog etc. It is also cheaper but when you cost in the extra bits that the PS3 has included the price can add up (wireless etc).

I dont think there is much between them with regards to graphics/sound, Sony would like you to think the PS3 has the edge, but I am not convinced, YET!

get both:thumbsup: nah oj m8 if you could afford to get both than great i use my 360 all the time as i prefer the online side of things, as thats what all my m8s play.but then i engoy sitting back and watchin a blue ray on my ps3 , do you all ready have a blue ray player ? also what tv would you be running the console on

Yes I already have a blu ray player, I held off buying a PS3 because I thought they would release a new version with backward capability but it looks like they will never have backward capability now:(
If I buy either console it will purely be for gaming.

I dont think there is much between them with regards to graphics/sound, Sony would like you to think the PS3 has the edge, but I am not convinced, YET!

But doesnt the fact that the PS3 uses blu ray and not DVD mean the games on the PS3 can be about 5 times bigger ?

But doesnt the fact that the PS3 uses blu ray and not DVD mean the games on the PS3 can be about 5 times bigger ?
Using Blu-ray means that you don't have to worry about games spanning multiple disks which I would imagine would be very annoying but is likely to happen for XBox 360 versions of future games (one example being Rage).

But as for games being 'bigger' - no, not really. For one thing most games are designed as multi-platform these days and so generally speaking core design issues, such as number/range of levels, get limited by both console specifications. Where Blu-ray could really come into it's own on the PS3 is if they released a PS3+ which could handle bigger textures, apply AA etc etc all of which could also be stored on the disc with playback being seamless regardless of which version of the console you owned. Given high res textures are normally prepared for the PC release the costs involved would be negligble as well.

Also which has the best selection of games ?
I would say things are much of a muchness these days. I am not really a console gamer (PC is my preference) but the vast majority get a multi-platform release. What I do play on the consoles is the 'exclusives' and, although solely just my preference, I think the PS3 has a better range. The Xbox 360 gravitates towards using it's 'exclusive' fund to provide exclusive paid-for DLC.

Last edited:

I agree completely.....

An overlooked factor here though is what console do your friends have??

I am lucky enough to own both, but I prefer to play on the 360 with my friends!
The main appeal of the PS3 for me is a Blu-ray player and Play-TV, which alone persuaded me to get one! ( i don't have SKY or a freeview recorder)

Another factor of course is the games available, have a nosey through and see which console exclusives tickle your fancy....

As a multi-media device (e.g. music/photos/tv/bluray/dvd/internet & games) the PS3 is the best option.

As a gaming device I would say the 360 has more choice, a superior back catalog etc. It is also cheaper but when you cost in the extra bits that the PS3 has included the price can add up (wireless etc).

I tend to agree - Sony has better multi-functionality while Xbox 360 has better gameplay.

Also with the Sony slimline coming out, I have to say the Sony outweighs the Xbox in terms of design & sexiness a zillion to one. The Xbox 360 console itself is large & clunky and the fan on it is so loud you have to turn up the volume just to hear!

Does "5 times bigger" = "5 times better" , nope, yes it has more capacity, but it has yet to be utilised in a big way, I am sure it is something the 360 could handle with multiple discs, installs, down loads.

For me the only advantage the PS3 drives gives is the ability to play BluRay movies.

Any this is coming from a PS3 owner!

Yes I already have a blu ray player, I held off buying a PS3 because I thought they would release a new version with backward capability but it looks like they will never have backward capability now:(
If I buy either console it will purely be for gaming.
In that case, 360 (unless all your mates happen to own PS3s and not 360s). Online is better (for several reasons, though you do pay a premium), the console's feature set is better (little things like the way custom background music is implemented), multiplatform titles are generally a touch better, 360 has a bigger back catalogue of games and 360 seems to benefit from more exclusive DLC deals. I also like the free videos on 360--the Spotlight and Insight channels have new game preview videos, developer interviews, game strategy hints and tips videos, Q&As and special event videos every week, all streamed and instantly accessible from the dashboard. I find myself checking both channels pretty much every time I boot the console.

They're both great consoles with great games, but IMO 360 has the edge.

The Xbox 360 console itself is large & clunky and the fan on it is so loud you have to turn up the volume just to hear!
The fans (on new 360s) are not loud. The DVDROM drive is loud, but you have the option of installing games to the HDD. It's not silent but I wouldn't say it's significantly louder than a PS3.

Get a PS3 if you don't own a blu-ray player yet.

Get an xbox 360 if you want to play games.

im going to say Xbox is the over all winner at the moment. as for a all round media games machine yea PS3 has the edge because of the blu-ray but if i want a games console im not bothered what else is built in as its all about the games.
i would say that this is the best console ive ever had and its getting better and better and i this its not just the Joe public that has the same opinion its looking to be big name company's to.

games that were PS exclusive are being ported to the 360, games like Metal gear solid and tekken 6. also add ons like GTA's "lost and damned" and "gay tony" plus the COD 6 black xbox all xbox exclusive.

plus the future looks good for the xbox with Project Natal coming one day and Sky player soon as well that im Lucky enough to be beta testing at the moment (yes i know i said i just want a games console)
oh and it is allot cheaper and they have the edge on the on line market.

dont get me wrong i think the PS3 is an awesome machine and has a bright future so a year down the line i could be saying "the PS3 is better........" but for the moment i would go for the 360.

we can only give our opinions, its up to you what machine you like and maybe have a go on both machines and see what you think is the best.

good luck

^ As he said.
Bit of both for me but mainly bought my PS3 for GT5 and Bluray and now for G25 wheel use too :D , but with most other games/online on the 360 as does seem superior in that respect, imo.
Or base ur buy on what ur local mates have to play with them.
Been 100's of these threads and it wont be long till this is locked aswell.
And rightly so imo. :boring:

Last edited:
As an owner of both i can say hand on heart that the xbox360 is by way the better gaming machine. the majority of multi release games are better on the xbox 360 than the ps3.

as a multimedia machine though the ps3 wins - its great for streaming stuff off the pc even hidef rips etc, and blueray etc

i use my xbox for gaming and ps3 for movies etc

Yep. ^^^ What he said.

As for 360 exclusives, probably quite a few although Mass Effect is what springs to my mind as a good one :cool:

Are their any "exclusive" games on the xbox 360 which are not on the PC ?

Forza, Gears of war 2, a couple of others.

To be honest the best console depends on the individuals needs.

Bob might say get an xbox 360, it's better, because all his mates have one and he loves halo 3 online.

But the ps3 is better for Dave because he likes gran turismo, uncharted, ratchet and clank and likes having a blu-ray player.

At the end of the day we buy cosnoles to play games, and the right console for you is the one that has the msot games you want to play.

If you want gears of war, halo and forza then you need a 360.

If you want gran turismo, ratchet etc then you need a ps3.

All the other features, blu-ray etc are added bonuses, focus on the games :smashin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom