Which is better warranty? Panasonic v Costco v John Lewis?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by The Commander, Feb 3, 2009.

1. The Commander

The Commander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just bought a Panasonic PZ8046B from costco and was wondering whether as noted on a the big PZ8042B forum that Panasonic is still accepting applications for the extended warranty and whether that Warranty is better than the Costco one.

Also how do these 3 warranties compare?

2. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    FRom what I have heard the Costco deal is about as good as you can get.

You have 90 days to return the TV if you don't like it for a full refund and if things go wrong within the 5 years you can just take it back for a refund without all the hassle of having engineers out to llok at it.

3. The Commander

The Commander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    But that deal is with Costco so its as good as Costco remains a viable business. Of the 3 - I would say Panasonic is the most likely to remain in business in 5 years time. Not know much on the financials of either John Lewis or Costco.

4. oj0

oj0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Looking at the state of the financial markets currently, it can cost Panasonic thousands if not millions to create the technology to produce innovative solutions to the ever changing consumer market.

John Lewis on the other hand is a massive retail store open to the public and as such is far more susceptible to changing consumer spending power, for example if the economy dries up then John Lewis will lose money from general retailers who will look to cut costs in luxury items and thus lose them a lot of money in revenue across their entire business.

Costco on the other hand is a cash and carry spread over several continents and deals in the simple trait of buy it high sell em cheap. Their appeal is to trade customers as much as individual customers who will always benefit from buying things such as food, electricals and furniture at a far discounted rate than you would get from JL. Although it is pure speculation, I would assume that if people suddenly found themselves with an incredibly slim amount of disposable income, the average consumer could satisfy their needs through a less specific but overall cheaper product from Costco rather than a particular and somewhat inflated price from a high-street retailer who have far greater overheads in terms of advertising, facilities and staff concerns.

There we have it, phew! I knew that Business Studies degree would come in handy sometime!

HTH

Ben

5. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    If things get that bad that the likes of Costco go under, I wouldn't worry about guarantees as we will all probably be out of a job.:eek:

6. The Commander

The Commander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    But reading the Panasonic warranty card am I correct in assessing that banding issues are not covered by the warranty as its a inherent known fault/issue of plasma technology and not a manufacturing fault per se and thus not covered.

7. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Panasonic and their network of service centres are the only ones with in-depth knowledge of repairing Panasonic products, so I would dare to suggest that with a Panasonic guarantee you would get a far quicker and effective repair in the event of a fault developing.

8. Joey2oo8

Joey2oo8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That would be my take, a manufacturer warranty is always going to be the better choice IMO

9. The Commander

The Commander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is there any chance that Panasonic extended their 5 year Warranty period? Or is it too late for me to register my TV for the extended warranty?

10. Mevlock

Mevlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Panasonic to cut 15,000 jobs worldwide | Business | guardian.co.uk

"Panasonic has also been hit by the dive in its share price, which has lost around 54% over the past 12 months."

:(

lol

Not that I'm suggesting they'll go under, but it just goes to show how badly even companies like Panasonic are doing atm.