which is better, vga or interlaced component?

dekoded

Hi all,
Should be getting my Z2 tomorrow :clap: I was going to use the following connections:
dvd -player to XGA THEATER using s-video, then vga (1024x768p) to my Z2 using a 10 mtr vga lead with a vga to dvi adapter on the end to connect into the Z2.

However I have just considered another option:
dvd-player component (*interlaced output) to a 10 mtr vga cable using a component to vga adapter lead, then into the Z2 using the vga to dvi adapter.

*I have a pioneer dv-565 which won't output pal progressive component.

I suppose basically what I'm asking is would I be better using the 'xga theater' to deal with upscaling etc. or outputting the best signal I can from my dvd player and letting the pj do the work?
Which connection method would give the best PQ :confused:

KraGorn

I'm open to being proved wrong as I've no idea what an XGA THEATER is :) ... but it MUST be better to feed normal interlaced video via component into the Z2 than using a deinterlaced/pre-scaled signal that was output as S-Video from the DVD player .. particularly as the scaler won't be outputting native resolution so you'll not even be getting the benefit of 1:1 mapping.

BTW, why mess with Component->VGA->DIV-I conversion? Why not use a 10m component cable?

dekoded

I have already bought a 10mtr vga lead :blush:

Looks like I might be buying a 10mtr component lead now :suicide:

I had originally discounted the idea of feeding a component signal from the dvd player as I thought not being progressive would not be possible. I then discovered that the pj would 'convert' the signal to progressive anyway.

first pj (obviously) still you live and learn :lesson:

As you pointed out, for the cost of a component to vga lead I could just buy a 10mtr component cable, but would the signal suffer more than vga :confused:

KraGorn

As long as the cable quality is good then the choice of using 10m VGA or 10m Component is immaterial.

Sadly, like most areas of technology, home cinema has it's fair share of concepts that need to be learned before things start to make sense.

The Z2 is a nice machine to start out with. :)

dekoded

Cheers, I can't wait to get it all setup :smashin:

I only wish the woman in my life shared my passion! still, maybe after a couple of big screen soppy films she might change her mind :rolleyes:

I will post some pictures of my new setup when I get it all working, I'm using the pj with an acoustic energy P5 surround setup and a manual pull down screen, so it's very discreet when not being used (another partner related decision).

dekoded

The advantages of using the XGA THEATER (or pro v) would be :
I already have one,

I already have the 10mtr vga cable and dvi adapter,

I can still output an RGB picture to my ws TV at the same time,

I could connect the aerial output signal from my STB into the built-in tuner of the xga theater and be able to scale and view any cable tv programme on my pj

is anyone using a similar setup?

The trouble is PQ is very important to me, and your comment about not starting with the best signal source has got me concerned.

dekoded

Got my Z2 today and I have done an initial setup/ trial with different inputs, I had mixed reactions..

First I tried dvd player > svid>to 'xga theater'>vga to Z2 via vga to dvi adapter.

My first reaction was slight dissapointment at overall PQ, it wasn't too good!

As this is my first PJ I thought I should try different inputs before coming to any verdict.
Next I tried:
laptop>vga> to Z2 via vga to dvi adapter.

This looked much better and I felt alot happier, I realised that the main problem for the previous crappy PQ wasn't the PJ but the source!

Mainly for experimentation I then tried:
dvd player>svid> to Z2 via 10mtr svid cable.

My god this looked fu :censored: ing crap!

So obviously I am now considering building a HTPC to get a decent PQ

I realise that I may not have all my settings tweaked correctly, but to be honest I was surprised at how poor the PQ was with all inputs except the VGA, I know the 10mtr svid cable is a bad idea but I thought it might just be ok, but all I can say is if you're thinking of getting a z2 (and probably any other PJ) DO NOT USE 10MTR S-VID CABLE :nono:

I was also a bit surprised that even a small amount of daylight getting into the room would have such a bad effect on the PQ, I know PJ's are nothing like normal TV's but I'm glad I made some blackout blinds before I got my PJ!
(dunn-elm sell ready made blackout blinds in various sizes all about £15-£30 or roller blind kits at about £10-£15 with blackout material costing £4 mtr)

Luckily I already have a shuttle cube pc half built, looks like this will now become a HTPC :thumbsup:

Just one question, can I use my vga cable to send a DVI signal if I use the correct adapters :confused: or would I have to buy a DVI cable? (that might be a daft question)

summat

Standard Member
Johnnie said:
Got my Z2 today and I have done an initial setup/ trial with different inputs, I had mixed reactions..

First I tried dvd player > svid>to 'xga theater'>vga to Z2 via vga to dvi adapter.

My first reaction was slight dissapointment at overall PQ, it wasn't too good!

As this is my first PJ I thought I should try different inputs before coming to any verdict.
Next I tried:
laptop>vga> to Z2 via vga to dvi adapter.

This looked much better and I felt alot happier, I realised that the main problem for the previous crappy PQ wasn't the PJ but the source!

Mainly for experimentation I then tried:
dvd player>svid> to Z2 via 10mtr svid cable.

My god this looked fu :censored: ing crap!

So obviously I am now considering building a HTPC to get a decent PQ

I realise that I may not have all my settings tweaked correctly, but to be honest I was surprised at how poor the PQ was with all inputs except the VGA, I know the 10mtr svid cable is a bad idea but I thought it might just be ok, but all I can say is if you're thinking of getting a z2 (and probably any other PJ) DO NOT USE 10MTR S-VID CABLE :nono:

I was also a bit surprised that even a small amount of daylight getting into the room would have such a bad effect on the PQ, I know PJ's are nothing like normal TV's but I'm glad I made some blackout blinds before I got my PJ!
(dunn-elm sell ready made blackout blinds in various sizes all about £15-£30 or roller blind kits at about £10-£15 with blackout material costing £4 mtr)

Luckily I already have a shuttle cube pc half built, looks like this will now become a HTPC :thumbsup:

Just one question, can I use my vga cable to send a DVI signal if I use the correct adapters :confused: or would I have to buy a DVI cable? (that might be a daft question)

To be honest (Z2 owner, 1st proj, too), drop the S-Video crap. Try component or RGB all the way, you'll get a much, much better image. Also, from previous comment, re. the other half - mine scorned me with the price of the PJ (supposed to be saving for wedding, but this looked like more fun) - get a couple of weepies on and she'll be converted, trust me.

Oh. DVI?, last weekend, bought a VGA<>DVI cable, only 2M and cost £5 from a computer show, works brilliantly.

Re: all-inputs-except-VGA, the component inputs on the Z2 work fine (I ended up taking component from my DVD, then from the Sky box, Scart-RGB into a RGB->YUV convertor, then using the (just bought) AV-Receiver to switch component to the PJ. Fantastic quality; consider this option.

Good fun this PJ stuff, just so damned expensive :mad:

dekoded

Spooky or what, this is my first PJ and I'm supposed to be saving for my wedding this year as well and we both have Z2's (seperated at birth?)

Anyway thanks for the reply, I have now ordered a 10mtr component cable and I will be trying this soon :thumbsup:
However my only concern is that my dvd player (pioneer dv565) won't output pal progressive :mad: and so I'm wondering how good the pq will be, letting the z2 handle the conversion?

As a 'plan b' I shall also build my HTPC, however for the cost of a graphics card that outputs dvi I thought I might get one BUT, from what I can work out I would then need a dvi cable all the way to the z2 to keep the signal digital.

Am I right in thinking that a 10mtr dvi cable is too long and would cause problems? and I think it will be a bit pricey.

dekoded

summat said:
Oh. DVI?, last weekend, bought a VGA<>DVI cable, only 2M and cost £5 from a computer show, works brilliantly.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say vga to dvi cable, is it an adapter or an actual cable, and are you definately getting a dvi (digital) signal from your source (pc?) all the way into your PJ? I thought that both signals (analogue/digital) are sent through a dvi cable but only analogue could be sent through a vga cable :confused: , maybe I'm answering my previous question :suicide:

summat

Standard Member
Johnnie said:
I'm not sure what you mean when you say vga to dvi cable, is it an adapter or an actual cable, and are you definately getting a dvi (digital) signal from your source (pc?) all the way into your PJ? I thought that both signals (analogue/digital) are sent through a dvi cable but only analogue could be sent through a vga cable :confused: , maybe I'm answering my previous question :suicide:

Cable with DVI connector one end, SVGA connector at the other, wired through for RGB.

(hmmm, just down the road, in sunny Preston)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom