1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better s-vhs or component??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by David167, May 19, 2003.

1. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know most people probably will say component, but since upgrading froma seleco 400ht to a barco g808, i've been using a s-vhs from dvd to a scaler and rgb from scaler to 808 (port 3) as component from the dvd player to the scaler seems to push the colour green!! Everything appears to have a slight green hue, (i.e skin tones) in comparison to s-vhs. I know that component separates to colours and is technically superior, I had been using it until my upgrade, but now I can't go back to it. How do you tell which is displaying the colours correctly? Is there supposed to be a green hue to everything? Using a test disc, i.e video essentials or THX Optimizer from a THX disc, I'm unable to get the colours spot on, due to not being able to change colour on the barco, and on the dvd player I can only change colour thru s-vhs. Does any one have any thoughts on this or have spotted the same thing? Any advise is appreciated, as I have a very good quality component cable which is currently sitting idle!!

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component IS better than S-Video.

Sounds like the colour trim pots need adjusting.

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Since Svideo doesn't push green it at least proves the connection from the scaler to the PJ is ok.

Apart from if the DVD player/scaler it's self isn't faulty etc, then here goes!

What scaler is it?
    Is the scaler outputting RGBHV (negative sync)?
    Is the 808 an "s"?

Assuming your scaler doesn't have individual adjustment for colour balance on seperate inputs. Then it would point to either one of the DVD players component connections is faulty or the scalers.
    You can get this if one of the component leads is not connected properly etc.

Try swapping the component cables about on both the scaler and DVD player. If the fault stays the same this will prove that it is not a faulty cable.

Next try pulling one cable out at a time etc. If nothing happens at all when you pull a cable out, then you have the culprit!

Also it's very easy to wire component cable incorrectly! so recheck as they are sometimes labelled incorrectly on the DVD player.
    Either way try swopping red for green or blue etc and see what happens.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    £1 says its a Duce

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Lets try to get helpfull

Pull the red and blue leads from your DVD player or the scaller so that only the Green (Y) is connected.

Is the picture pure B&W or does it have a strong green cast

This will establish where the colour balance is coming from.

I can't understand this fasination that people have with Port 3 unless they like the effect produced by using tiny connectors and routing the signal via loads of unnesseccary circuits. Lets keep port three for a PC not showing video please.

What I suspect is happening is your scaller is outputting Sync on green and seperate sync but the projector has locked to the seperate sync signal as it should. but this means the green signal is atifically lifted. If you can pull the sync lead and the picture should be fine.

6. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland, I owe you a £1 as it is a deuce scaler. I'm using port 3 as this is how it was set up for me (i have no idea when it comes to ports!!). If I shouldn't be using port 3, which should I use, and what sort of cable do I need? When you suggest pulling out the sync cable, what do you mean exactly as whats connected to the projector is one of those 15 pin connectors. Anyway, haven't yet tried out your suggestion yet, will do so tonite and let you know of the result.

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cheap and chearfull but a scaller with no adjustments has always a bit troublesome to me.

You won't be able to pull the sync cable at the projector end as this a custom 9 pin configuration and I'm going to take a wild guess that the Duce outputs from a 15 pin. (if by chance it uses BNC's then pull off the black and probably the white/yellow leads as well) I'm hoping that the Duce has some jumbers inside that will allow the syncs to be configured.Else you will have to get proper BNC's put on your cable.

8. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland, luckily I had a 15pin Dsub to 5 bnc cable at home, and connected that to port 4/5. Still the same results, even after disconnecting the white cable (H/Sync i think). At the back of the Deuce there is a switch to switch between RGBHV and RGBS output and this has made no difference. Don't know if there are any internal jumpers, I have to investigate further. Also tried just leaving the green phono connected and on screen it appears to look just black and white. It's difficult to describe what i'm seeing but its very noticable on skin tones which take on a more brown hue, like every one has a tan!. I shall try to take a couple of pictures with a digital camera this weekend and post them here to show you what I mean. Oh, also it appears that white/black levels (contrast) are reduced when using component. I would just like someone to try to connect s-vhs and make a direct comparison to see if they notice a difference in skin tones/colours.