which is better ? Rugby or football?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by la gran siete, May 8, 2007.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Yes but itys not just the lack of lineouts what about those powder puff scrums?:confused: I mean you gotta have two front rows contesting surely, the tight head boring onto theopposing hooker whislt the latters loosie is trying to protect him, and the second and back row putting their muscles into it with a good shove. I know they get a lot of injuries but it is manly aint it?I also like to see the front row heads popping up when they are being outscrummaged:D

2. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Watching/playing

3. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241

then just add some Vaseline, some PVC.... and Hey Presto! Rugby Union! :devil:

:D

4. simonoaks

simonoaks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    one of the stupidest threads I have ever seen !! lol

5. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    to be honest i would have said football 10 years ago but it would be rugby for me now.its a nobler sport,more honest,less ponces,friendly enough atmosphere at the grounds so its a family thing to and its players dont search for the spotlight like the football/celebritys do.

football has in itself created a monster, to which is now thriving and that monster is money and advertising.the other day i was watching some monday night borathon and after the budweiser official sponsor advert followed a bloody chewing gum advert which is now the "official" ****ing chewing gum of the premier league:rolleyes: i mean for **** sake.im not saying union or league are complete saints in the advertising roll but it just seems to me that the advertising people are just kicking the life out of the football game and it has to lead somewhere and that will be a downward spiral.

6. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    completely agree.if your not fighting for every inch on that pitch then why even bother with the gently gently scrum ? im a union man myself and it might not have the speed or tight shorts :D i would say its a purer form.union and league are like boxing and the UFC,sure the ufc has all the bells and whistles, but for the true art it has to be boxing.the ture art for me is union ,although i dont mind the old league now and then.

7. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    Nobler, Honest, Sporting what a crock of poo

Its just not that POPULAR.

8. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    Couldn't agree more about RL scrums though, they're absolutely completely pointless. :thumbsdow

(embarrassing even?)

They'll be 'gone' soon enough IMO, (they'll prolly be gone even in RU eventually?)

Here's where I'm at with the RU/RL debate.. :lesson:

When you consider that getting the ball back in play makes for the 2 most 'appealing' aspects of RU over RL, then I think you've maybe got some problems there with your game? ;)

I Played RU right through school, and it was boring as hell.
    I regularly used to run in 10-15 tries per match playing inter-school stuff, usually all coming from either Lineouts or Scrums.

RU: Get all the 'dangerous' players stood within a few feet of each other in one tiny section of the pitch.... someone throw the ball in, they catch it, they throw it to me, I run the length of an almost empty pitch and score...... repeat until final whistle. :D

Playing RL at the same time, I'd score 3 or 4, then get killed by a neanderthal. (who was for some reason in the middle of the pitch trying to stop me? rather than standing at the side of the pitch watching smaller blokes try and stop me...)

RL: Get the ball, run directly into a brick-wall of lads twice your size, bounce off, get up, play the ball, try not to look too hurt, repeat until final whistle. :rolleyes:

I'll take 'powder-puff' scrums, and 95% live ball time, any day of the week. :)

9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    funny I never found RU boring :confused: Never had the time to. Too busy trying tp figure out where I was supposed to be on the pitch

10. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    you mean AS popular

gates have more than doubled in recent seasons and the sport is set to grow. It will never match football for crowd numbers but the quality of those crowds is far superior. Also England matches are massively polular:smashin: Frankly Silevrback is quite correct when he sayd rugby is a more honest sport with far less ponces to which I would add cheats and whinge buckets

11. simonoaks

simonoaks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    which is better; cheese or roast pork ?

12. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    which god is best,now thats a thread war starter right there :rotfl:

13. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    wrong

right

14. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    :thumbsup:

15. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    well the final ended up pretty one side. Pity reallly as i though Glos would give Leicester a good game but they just werent in the races.Leicseter were just too strong for them. The sheer power was inmense and Alesano Tuilagi was just amazing. Pity he is not English. I can well see them winning the treble

http://www.planet-rugby.com/Story/0,18259,3551_2122573,00.html

16. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Did you see any of today's Rugby League ?

17. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Oh jesus, what a load of nonsense.

18. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241

Make your mind up, eh mate? :D

Do you actually understand the history of Rugby, LGS? :confused:

1864 - The first rugby clubs formed in Leeds and Huddersfield, followed by Hull (1865), York (1868), followed by hundreds more in Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire in the 1870s and 1880s.

1876 - Yorkshire Cup competition started for Yorkshire rugby clubs. Soon it attracts bigger crowds than the FA Cup Final.

1886 - Concerned at the growing dominance of the largely working-class northern clubs, the Rugby Football Union introduces strict amateur rules.

1893 - Yorkshire clubs propose allowing players to be paid six shillings ‘broken-time'payments when they miss work due to matches. RFU vote down proposal. Widespread suspensions of northern clubs and players begin.

1895 - Threatened with expulsion from the RFU if they cannot prove their amateurism, 21 leading Lancashire and Yorkshire clubs meet at the George Hotel, Huddersfield on 29 August 1895. They vote unanimously to form the Northern Rugby Football Union (NU) and allow broken-time payments.

I ask because your love of RU basically flies in the face of your views on most other things.... how can you support a sport which (even still) has such a deeply rooted hatred of the working class? :confused:

:D

19. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    RU is a bunch of sweaty hooray Henrys chasing round a large leather egg and stickng their noses up each others bums in scrums.

because they are all 'Bladdy good fellows what ho' you seem to think they and the chinless wonders who watch them are some how 'Better' than the average working class blokes who play and watch football, 'oiks' 'chavs' etc as you no doubt call em.

RU doesnt inspire anyone, its a just a another elitist pile of poo that most people dont care for.

The reason why there are no prima donnas in RU or RL is that compared to Football their is NO MONEY,because lets face it NO ONES going to take out a SKY subscription to watch this rubbish are they?

I love the fact that so many middleclass people hate football I think its just a serious case of envy and snobbery.

Football is THE WORLD SPORT end of, A minute after the football season started Everyone forgot that England had Won the Worldcup in Rugby.

Its not like anyone scores tries anymore either , its just boring penalties and the occassional drop goal.

So you might like it good for you but to most sports fans its just another minority sport like badminton or bowls

20. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    you have basically highlighted the problem which has existed in this country fo r so many years ie the social division which I agree ,to some extent, still exists to day. Sport , in my view should never have anything to do with social class.Unfortunately for too many its still the case today as evidenced by Spacecats rant ie rugby players and fans are all hooray henrys.This simply isnt the case anymore . Go to any RU match in the West country and the fans by and large are average country/town folk. Difference with footie fans is that they dont go round yelling abuse at rival fans or trying ot pick a fight with them. Nor will they hiss at rival national anthems nor will they try to put off of rival team's attempt at a penalty kick (not in the uk anyway). Its about respect and not taking sport too seriously nad having a good day out. My mate went to watch the RU WC final and he said the Aussie fans coudnt have been better.Having a laugh, full of congratulations for our boys and sharing a few beers.Thats what I meant by bettter supporters. Horray Henrys can be just as obnoxious as yer average chav albeit in a different way. No one likes them:thumbsdow .RU is gradually becoming classless (like cricket) hopefully footie will too(by that i mean the reverse case scenario).One day England footie team may be captained by an Old Etonian:D
    The likes of Jason Leonard( Quins:eek: ) could never be called toffs nor J Robinson. Farrel or Sean Edwards .Matt Dawson had a trial with Arsenal.Others within the game are known ot be footie fans.The game will attract youths from across the social spectrum, likewise the fan base will expand .Where rugby scores over footie is, as i said , the behaviour of fans and even players themselves( foul play is being stamped out)Add on to that the players arent being paid ludicrous sums of money for throwing/ kicking a ball about

21. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    @ Spacecat Coming from London, I can certainly understand why you feel that way about things.

Up here in the homeland of Rugby, where essentially both codes were created, you'll be pleased to know it's a very different story. :)

RL is actually a far bigger sport in Hull than football ever was, and always has been, and always will be.
    This is also true of many/most of the 'M62 towns'..(Manchester excepted, but then that's the M60 :D)

IMO, RL will replace football as the people's choice eventually, but not until after the premiership bubble has burst.

RU is essentially an old man's game, and still rife with snobbery and eliteism... it's ultimately doomed.

I'm not 'anti' RU or anything, but from my point of view it's just a leftover from a bygone age, It's apartheid wearing rugby boots. :D

22. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    no but I'll probably take up Dude's suggestion and go and watch Harleqiuins RL some time

23. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Never, ever going to happen. As much as I love rugby, both league and union, the game does not have the universal appeal that football does.

Anyone can watch or play football with only the basic knowledge that the ball needs to be put in the net; same is not true of rugby and this is why football is the biggest sport in the the world.

24. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    In Rugby, you don't even need a net. ;)

25. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103

26. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    No, you *need* a try line. And some posts. And the 22. Oh and you can score points by a try, drop goal and a conversion. Oh did I mention that you get different points for each of them?

Also you can't pass forward, unless you kick it. And if someone else kicks it you have to wait until they catch up with you.

Football; ball in back of the net.

:)

27. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    naah ! What will happn is that there will be a peoples sport called rugby played by13 men honest and true of all heights . There will be lineouts rucks and mauls and all the scrums will be contested . The sport will be played in ALL the schools across the land as an option in place of soccer.:clap:

28. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    so, come the revolution, you sack two of the players :confused: :suicide:

29. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: