which is better ? Rugby or football?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by la gran siete, May 8, 2007.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Well I was brought up with both sports, took part and watched them both avidly. Now i know rugby was alwaus that poncey middle class sport played by ex Public school boys but today with the advent of professionalism its different - it belongs to all of us.What I want to know is what makes one better than the other. For me rugby has the edge because for one the fans are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better behaved, ie none of this hating the other team nonsense. In fact you could be in Cornish Pirates ground watching htem grinding a result against Bedford and the atmosphere is all in good cheer. :thumbsup: weheheeeey!Another thing they are NOT paid obscene sums of money playing what is just a sport.So its got to be rugby numero uno and Gloucester will win the playoffs of that I am sure.

RL?? well they kind of removed what made the sport interesting ie lineouts rucks and mauls and they will keep on stopping:nono: .Even Shaun Edwards got fed up with it so he is now a good boy with Wasps:smashin: Have you noticed the Jocks and the Leaks havent exactly embraced "the gone funny" code. Tells you everything

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    Depends who's winning atm :devil: :D

Seriously, given the chance I would happily watch both. If it's a direct choice between two channels, depends who's playing ;)

3. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    I think Football just edges it for me, I have a bigger interest week in and week out. When it comes to International though, with the exception of a few matches, I would rather watch Rugby as its much more competitive.

Love them both though. :smashin:

As much as I do watch RL (and the Super League can be great), recent World Cup draw shows up t limitations where NZ, Aus & Eng got put in a group with Papa New Guinea with the top 3 progressing to the Semi Final :rotfl:

4. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have watched football for years and only really got into rugby a couple of years ago. I love watching rugby now and would watch most decent matches over the majority of soccer matches. - the only soccer matches i would never miss would be when man utd are playing or a major final or tournament. I think the coverage of rugby is great by sky, rte and the bbc. Honest and inciteful panelists, unlike the majority of idiots in football.

Which is better.......... id probobly still say football simply because im such a big supported of utd

5. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Go to a rugby match I can guarantee you wont regret it( well almost). My only gripe is that there is still a number amongst the fans who adopt a classicist attitude particularly against football which they refer as oikball nad all the fans are chavs in their view. They really need to be challenged big time as sport should have nothing to do with class. Rugby is the new football- peoples sport

6. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Rugby is crap.

why watch 30 men chase a deformed football.

doesnt even come close,

tbh i dont think you can really compare the 2 sports, very different.

7. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    its only crap if you dont understand it. Its actually a very skillfull sport which is often very exciting .
    Similarities
    Both team sports , both involve a ball , both have tackles, penalties and infringements.Both involve the use of feet although rugby is more about hands.Most importantly both engender great passion from a watching crowd although Rugby NEVER has any nastiness amongst its fans.

8. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Rubbish. I understand Archery perfectly well, but I think it's crap to watch.

Isn't this about the 3rd time in 3 years you've created this thread LGS?:D

Some people like Rugby, some like Football, some like both. Is anybody wrong? No. Do they need you to convince them otherwise? I doubt it.:rolleyes:

9. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I was just thinking, 'i'm sure i've seen this thread title before'! ;)

10. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,856
    One of them seems to rely on 90% of the points being scored by penalties for the slightest infringement miles away from the try line - which makes the game 90% dull, IMO.

11. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
  12. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Hmmm:confused:
    Archery - bloke stands in front of a target and aims an arrow so that its gets as near as possible to the bullseye. Not much to undersatnd there. Mostly a participant sport and fairly boring to watch
    rugby union- an exciting high energy ,high physical contact sport full of rules and infringements which many would find difficult to understand therefore the :boring: factor would probably kick in just as with American football. (Err whats that all about?)
    My question is to do with which and why. I happen to like both sports but Rugby gets the nod for the reasons i gave.

13. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    I like to use the metaphor of natural selection here. The fish who ignores the fisherman's bait lives to swim another day. The fish who bites, is served up alongside fish and mushy peas for supper

14. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I used to play scrum half for my school mainly as i was literally forced to do so
    by sadistic sports teachers.
    so i understand it , i just think its a crap
    hooray henry(well union anyway) sport
    and is snooze inducing in the extreme

15. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    no one is baiting anyone here LFC, just looking for opinions thats all.

Mind yopu having said that there are rather a lot of football threads:)

16. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    you make fair point. No one should be forced into any sport. I was forced into cross country running and have hated running ever since.

RU was a largely public school( except in Wales) sport but its changing now that profesionalism is here. The horrays, although still evident are being quietly shunted into a corner and not before time.

17. the fd

the fd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I enjoy watching rugby - used to enjoy playing it as I was big for my age, but then the rest grew as big and so I didn't have it all my own way anymore.

I also enjoy watching footy - still enjoying playing it.

Which do I prefer to watch? Both, but a big rugby international takes it for me. The world cup later this year will be a good one! (After the group stages)

Football has more than just the edge when it comes to which most people would prefer to watch. It is a true global sport. Rugby (like cricket) has about 8 teams on a similar pegging at the top, with so called developing nations catching up! (who have been developing for ages and can and will never catch up)

18. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    LGS, apologies for going off topic but i've been meaning to ask, what is your creepy avatar picture all about?

19. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    well thats me of course looking windswept and interesting:D You wouldnt like tpo see sitting next to you on a train with a grin like that would you?

its a mask

20. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Argentina and Italy have made greats strides

21. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    The different codes all serve their purpose.

RL is for REAL men as it's slow and brutal.

RU is the gentlemans game played by animals ;) but should be made compulsory in every school. It teaches you how to handle yourself and respect authority.

Football is just the best sport on the planet, enough said :D

22. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,273
    Could you specify Union next time - i thought this was about League as union is like watching paint dry so how can you compare it to the excitement of football???

Your point regarding the fans is a good one - you rarely get any trouble at rugby matches (as opposed to ragby :) whereas football does seem to involve more of a hatred between the fans.

In terms of entertainment, football can be very dull at times but most games are entertaining. Ragby Onion is too stop start for me, penalty after penalty. I like tries so i much prefer Rugby League tm. Neither code will ever be anywhere near as popular as football though

23. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    yes but without lineouts and proper scrums (not to say rucks and mauls) Roogby League has been emasculated :thumbsdow and why stop after every tackle? Surely you want to get stuck in and rip the ball back dont you?
    Both footy and rugby can be real boring but a good game of RU takes some beating The All Blacks at their best or Fiji sevens team are awesome.

24. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    I don't play rugby at all, only when I was at school. I play football in the park with mates, and none of them even think of playing rugby.

As for watching, I follow football a LOT more than Rugby... The only Rugby I watch is the World Cup and Six Nations. None of the club crap ;), for footy I watch everyhting, from many countries.

25. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241

Round we go again..... :rolleyes:

LGS, have you ever actually been to watch a Rugby league match? :confused:

As for what's the better sport, Rugby (both codes). :thumbsup:
    Football is more acting than sport these days, and bores me in the extreme..even the England 'shows'.

26. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    No, no, no :mad:

They are two totally separate sports. You obviously do not understand the complexity of the the game.
    In RL they do not stop after every tackle.

27. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Well no its only Hraleqiuns down here after all btt watching it on telly they do seem to stop start a lot I mean a bloke's got the ball and he is runnin into what he hopes is space but he gets stopped by a couple of hefties.He wiggles and shakes his legs a lot which tells his opponents to let go of him:confused: they kind of stand back:confused: :confused: to let him play the ball back when they should be contesting for posession surely.As long as they stay on their feet and dont come in from the side its ok. Ball is not turned over so team in posession ghoes through the phases until the fly half gets fed up and kicks for position.Aaaah this is where yerr 6'8" monsters come in -lineout time. Great sport!

28. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    I'd seriously suggest you watch a RL match in the flesh sometime soon, you'd be in for quite a suprise. :smashin:

RL definitely makes for boring television..... because it's definitely not made for boring television.

Sure lineouts maybe look impressive.... but at the end of the day it's only a throw in, just one taken in ballet form. :D

29. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    I still remember my first trip when I was 7 to watch the Saints play at Knowsley road. Got a tour behind the doors as well (school trip). Exciting then (despite the pouring rain) and its just as exciting now imo. Of course I nearly fell down those bloody steps. No railings!

30. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,046
    Better for what?