1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better RGB or Component ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by HomeyJay, Sep 25, 2002.

1. HomeyJay

HomeyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Simple question really, I have a choice of using RGB or Component on my dvd player. Which will give me the best pic ?

Also, I also read a US Plasma site that using prog. scan DVD is a waste on a Plasma with progressive scan - Panasonic / Toshiba - results in a very, very small increase in picture quality (if any at all) and is not worth spending the extra money on. Is this true ?

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    component will give you a better pic
    pro scan is much better pic on plasma as the scanning is done by the dvd player not the panel.
    correct me if i`m wrong
    hope this helps

3. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    RGB is component.

If you mean, which is better, using rgb through a scart or a component cable then yes, the component cable is best as it seperates the Red, Green, Blue signals rather than having them seperated but passed through a scart cable.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello all

This question pops up every now and again and the use of differing terms between Consumer and Pro - US and EURO kit tends not to help matters.

RGB is one form of Component video - where 'Component' video is a signal that splits the Chrominance (Colour ), Luminance (Brightness ) and Sync into identifiable parts.

Component video as referred to on Progressive scan DVD players is a YPbPr signal - there is no separate Sync in this signal. You may also see other derivates such as YCbCr on some kit. Have a look in the Progressive Scan section of the forum for more detailed info on these technologies.

S-Video is another 'simpler' type of 'Component video signal.

Ravi - as to your question about hooking up a Progressive Scan DVD player to a plasma display and getting better results then I'm afraid it not quiet as simple as that - you get good Progressive scan players and not so good Progressive scan players.

In general most Progressive scan players cost a bit more than non Progressive scan players and the manufacturers spend a bit more time and energy on the 'whole' player not just the video chip set.

In theory your player should give a smoother video image using its YPbPr 'Component' video out (usually three RCA phono sockets) - but you may want to try its RGB SCART out and let the plasma deinterlace the picture. (I must add here that not too many of our customers have gone down this road)

Its less expensive to hook up the YPbPr Component out as that only requires a simple set of RCA to RCA or BNC cables - so that may be the best place to start.

Best regards

Joe

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you mean, which is better, using rgb through a scart or a component cable then yes, the component cable is best as it seperates the Red, Green, Blue signals rather than having them seperated but passed through a scart cable.

This sounds to me as you are saying Component (YUV) is the same as RGB, just carried via different cables!?
    It is not, even though Component connectors are marked red, green and blue. Very misleading indeed.

Technically RGB is a component signal, but the term "Component" usually refers to YUV aka YCbCr (interlaced) or YPbPc (progressive). They are not compatible to each other.

Progressive scan can usually only be obtained by using the Component connections, not RGB.

In general I think progressive scan is the way to go if you have a plasma, but keep Joe's comments in mind ...