Which is better Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ70B Or Samsung LCD LE52M87BD for my purpose?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by DelboyJay, Jan 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DelboyJay

DelboyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi People I need your help, i'm looking to but a new TV but I have two choices and I don't know which one is right for me. i'm looking at the following:

Panasonic TH-50PZ70B 50" plasma
    Samsung LE52M87BD 52" LCD

I will be using the TV with a V+ Box (virgin media STB), playing computer games on console and also using it with my PC.

I'm mainly worried that the Panasonic plasma will "burn in" images if they are on the screen too long but also i'm worried that the LCD screen will look crap with my V+ box and SD transmissions so I don't know what to do!?!?!

Can anyone give me some pointers pls?

Cheers,

Delboy

2. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well the Samsung LCD will do a better job with PC desktop work but will not look as good as the Plasma on SD sources and pretty much everything else. I would be wary of leaving the desktop displayed on a Plasma due to retention/burn issues.

3. DelboyJay

DelboyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chamil,

Thanks for the reply. The burn issue is a big problem for me so if I went with the LCD is there something I could buy to make the pic look better for SD transmissions? i.e. can I put an upscaler between my V+ box and the TV or will this not work?

Delboy

4. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The best quality you would be able to achieve would be via HDMI , if your box doesnt have a HDMI output then RGB over Scart could be another option.

So you will be wanting to use the TV for desktop work aswell as TV watching?

The LE52 may well have an acceptable image but the PZ70 would beat it on Image quality.

Its atough decision to make