1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better for TT2 HTPC - Radeon 9600 Atlantis ot Gainward FX5600?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mark Ward, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    While I plan my new HTPC, complete with dual PCIe slots n everything else I want but can't afford this side of Christmas...I've been wondering...

Since NVidea seems to be flavour-of-the-month for Theatertek 2 (my most used software) now...Would I be better off swapping out the Radeon 9600 Atlantis from my HTPC and replacing it with the Gainward FX5600 from my Desktop machine?

I need to do 1368x768 @56hz DVI out for 1:1 Pixel Mapping on my HS20 so any decision would be based on the new NVidea drivers allowing this custom resolution via DVI.

Is there anyone here with a Sony HS10/20 running an NVidea card @ 1368x768 @ 56hz via DVI?

HTPC is an overclocked Athlon2500+ Mobile Chip with 512K of PC3200 Ram

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    While TT2 does supposedly work better with NVidia this really only seems to be the case with the 6XXX series cards, due to their updated on-board MPEG decoding and post-processing. AIUI earlier FX cards don't improve with the NVidia codecs.

Also, if you do any sort of post-processing using FFDSHOW and the like then only software is used in the decoding process so the only part the video card plays is in the rendering of the image, in this case it seems generally accepted that ATIs are better for Overlay while NVidia is better for VMR but again this mainly seems to apply to FX 5900s and later.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Robin, I don't do any post-processing, I've not felt any need to. I do however suffer from stuttering Hi-Def on my HTPC where streamed to my desktop doesn't.

I really don't want to go down the route of taking my HTPC & My Desktop PC apart to try the FX5600 in the HTPC unless I can be 100% sure it'll do 1:1 Pixel mapping for my PJ.

I also find that even for DVDs that overlay is the best & most reliable option in TT2.

Cheers,

Mark.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I can understand your not wanting to strip down 2 PCs jst to see .. 'fraid I can't help with the 1:1, I've no experience of the HS range.