1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better componet YUV or RGB with progressive scan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dwayneburke, May 24, 2004.

1. Dwayneburke

Dwayneburke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is better componet YUV or RGB with progressive scan on both.

I have epson tw10 PJ and yamaha s540 which is the better quality to connect?

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You might as well try for yourself but as far as i'm aware the S540 won't output a progressive RGB signal (very, very few players do) so progressive component will be the one!!

HTH

3. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    DVD's are stored in YUV format (420 sampling) so RGB requires an additional conversion step, however this should be done digitally so there's no sensible reason for it to have any additional artifacts. That said it has been known for some players to screw up this simple conversion....

John.

4. Dwayneburke

Dwayneburke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam @ Prog AV as far as i know you can do RGB progressive with the Yamaha but i could be wrong (the option is on the menu)

Saying that is there any rule to which is usually better? As far as i know YUV is meant to be better is this right? Bottom line which is the better RGB or YUV given the choice?

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Unfortunately it's not as simple as there being a bottom line since it is always down to implementation! Some displays are better suited to one type, some players another, all in all it'll be so close I am willing to bet there is no noticeable difference between either... (there usually isn't between interlaced RGB and component).

Besides, the component conenction is a simple 3 phono to 3 phono, if the Yamaha does RGB is RGB with sync on green (in which case will the Epson accept that signal through it's phonos) or is it via the scart (in which case you will need a correctly wired scart to VGA cable or something). Go component!!!!

6. Dwayneburke

Dwayneburke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Liam (do you live on the forums?)

At the moment im using YUV via component and the picture is great (as opposed to a XBOX i was using until last week)

i think i will stick with the way i have as the picture does look good.....it gets to a certain stage that i should stop tweaking and just sit back and relax and watch a few DVD's

Tks for the Info....

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yeah my house is just down the road from the forum Arcade!! Think I might upgrade to something in a posher neighborhood like the Arcam forum, maybe a nice three bed semi on DV89 street...

8. Dwayneburke

Dwayneburke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam

Had a look at your site, Very nice...

I notice you promote the epson tw10, i bought one of these a few months ago (Didnt get the new model i.e. tw10H---is there a noticable difference between the two?)

At the moment im using the wall for projection purposes (its slightly magnolia [mid sheen]not pure white) so what im saying if i get a projection screen would i notice that much of a difference? And what cost would i be looking at for a manual pull down 16 X 9 screen roughly 8/9ft X 5 ish!!!!

Note i have the PJ about 13 FT from the wall and i usually give it the full whack even though the resoulution suffers a small bit , but i like the overpowering cinema feel!!!!

I know this is veering off the point a small bit and prob belongs somewhere else so mods feel free to move.

Anyway Tks Liam

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Haven't seen the H model but Epson are making lots of noise about it so there's probably something in it (they did an H version of the original TW100 which was quite a differerence).

A screen will give you a better picture than a wall! Draper Luma will cost you about £235 for 8' wide - hell yeah get the biggest size you can manage!!!!!

10. Dwayneburke

Dwayneburke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam,

I would be really interested in a suitable screen (roughly 8/9ft X 5 ish!!!!)

Do you supply them or know of anywhere that does? and what sort of prices am i looking at, i dont want anything crazy expensive but one that will definitly look the part.

I am located in Rep of Ifreland if that makes any difference. Can i get them made up specially if it is 10 1/2 ft for example?

Tks

Dwayne

11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes mate Draper Luma is on my site - will cost you more in delivery to Eire though since you are then classed as International. Will PM you.