1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better, an Older Yamaha DSP-A1 or New RXV650RDS?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by a4refillpad, Jan 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. a4refillpad

a4refillpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wondering what would be a better av amp?

An older Yamaha DSP A1 amplifier
    (brilliant reviews when it came out)
    or
    a newer Yamaha DSP 650 RDS
    (supports newer technologies like 7.1 and prologic 2)

Any opinions from anyone? :lease:

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I think the A1 would probably beat it dead!
    If you want all the newest codecs ect.. , for an amp the A1 will be bettrer, not as good as the Z1 though as its the A1 bigger brother.

3. a4refillpad

a4refillpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply! :thumbsup:

So, the A1 would probably be a better amp but would it also be better as an AV amp than the newer box also?

A friend of mine is offering me his A1 (unable to test it as it's far away) for around the same price as a new 650RDS.
    I can't make up my mind which would sound better playing my movies in dolby digital and dts.
    Anyone know how much better 7.1 or prologic 2 sounds over conventional 6.1 and prologic surround the A1 can throw out? Would it be a big sacrifice?

Some more opinions would be very welcome :smashin:

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The pro logic 2 is is a big advancement over pro logic. & speakers is only really useful in the bigger room and it costs more :D The A1 was originally a £1000 amp if i remember rightly (could easily be wrong) so the internal amps will be of much better quality than the 650. I wouldnt be sure how good it will be in stereo as earlier yamaha's were dogs in stereo. You will lose DTS:ES/NEO:6, DPL 2and DPL 2x. I would advise listening to both and deciding then.

5. a4refillpad

a4refillpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm told the A1 used to sell for around £1600! (might be only the srp though)

So I've got one person going for the 650RDS and one for the A1 so far.
    :rolleyes:

I won't be able to listen to the A1 unless I get it home first which will be quite an ordeal and I'm unlikely to be able to change my mind unless it's broken...

6. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the a1 was actualy priced at 1600, my mate got one, and its still going strong. the a2 was a similar amp albeit 10 watts less on each channel. the a2 i picked up for 250 second hand. it will give some more newer amps a good run for its money

7. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've just bought the RXV650RDS for £270 new. The extra codecs are much better than a 4 years old Pioneer 5.1. I've fitted the rears and extra presence speakers and it sounds pretty good. The auto setup is a nice feature. The DPL II is very good with older 2 channel DVD's like Bladerunner.

8. dabx5

dabx5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DSP-A1 running KEF "00C center channel and two pairs of KEF reference 3's (front and rear) with KEF Q15.2 front Effects and it handles them all great. I have never had any problems with any of the kit and yes the A1 was £1600 new. I am in the process of selling all my kit to emigrate if you are interested.