Which is Better - 9800pro or X700?

rob j

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi :)

Can anybody tell me which is a better graphics card - An ATI Radeon 9800pro or ATI Radeon X700? :confused:

I'm looking to spend no more than £140 on a new card, maybe £150 at a push.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

From the benchmarks i have seen - the x700 on most stuff

Ethics Gradient said:
From the benchmarks i have seen - the x700 on most stuff

One more question though, I've just seen the following on komplett

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=302996&cks=SER

This is a PCI Express card, but the card I currently have is an AGP card (a Radeon 9200 128mb).

If it helps, my PC is just over 14 month old, and is a

Compaq Presario S4490UK
P4 2.8Ghz HT
1024mb DDR Ram
Windows XP

Will I be able to use the PCI-E card in the link above, or need another AGP one? :)

No you need AGP. PCI-E only run on brand new Mobo's with PCI-E slots. Your's will not have one given the age of the machine.

If its any use Rob, the benchmarks i've read put thr X700 and 9800 pro about the same - give or take a frame, with either coming slighty on top depending whcih way the wind is blowing. I dont think theres really anything iin it.

Personally I think the GeForce 6600GT is the best bang per buck card at the moment. There's one here for £149.00 and one here for £146.82.

I'm considering this as my next upgrade and hopefully the card should do me for another 18 (maybe more) months. It should then be a good time to go PCI-Express.

AnandTech did a great round up of cards for HL2 and one comparison was the standard GF6800 vs the GF6600GT and they performed pretty much the same, even though the 6800 is on average £80 - £100 more expensive at around £250!

Here's some benchmarks of how it compares to the 9800 pro & 9800 XT. It significantly outperforms the pro and beats the XT convincingly in everything but HL2 where is is marginally better.

Thanks everybody :thumbsup:

I think I will go for a GeForce 6600GT now, especially after looking at those benchmarks (thanks gthom3 :smashin: )

I guess I'll have to wait another week for the Komplett one to be in stock, as the OCuk one is a PCI-E card!

On a separate note, I'm looking at a 5.1 surround soundcard - I understand I should be looking for a 24-bit card with dolby digital output, and saw this one here. Just before I order one of these, will this work in my PC :confused:

No probs Rob J - It does look a great card for the money! :thumbsup: Sorry didn't realise the other was a PCI-E card just did a quick search.

Yes that card will work - it connects via a standard PCI socket. It is a 7.1 card though as opposed to 5.1 - just that you mentioned that you were looking for 5.1. You could do with a set of speakers like this if you're after 7.1 sound.

Cheers :)

The thing is I want to be able to play games on my PC in my HT. I have a Panasonic AE-700 projector, a Denon 2805 Receiver and a Kef 2005.2 5.1 egg setup.

The graphics card will hook up to the projector fine, so no concerns there.

However I want the sound to go into the reciever so it comes out of my 5 speakers. I need a decent soundcard to do this, but how should this then connect up to my receiver?

I'm now looking at this soundcard here

According to the specs on the manufacturer's website, the only digital ouput the card has is an SPDIF output. Will this go into my amp to give me Dolby Digital surround sound? as there is no optical or co-axial out on the sound card.

Once again all help would be greatly appreciated before I go out and spend my hard earned :thumbsup:

Be wary of buying stuff from komplett. I have bought loads of stuff from them in the past mainly bits for my PC and a Panny ae500 projector.

Anyway everything is well untill you try and send something back. I have had a faulty radeon pro 9800 I have been trying to send back for a couple of months, its hard getting them to give you ar return code.

Just thought I would share my experience. I`m not impressed at the moment :mad:

rob j said:
Cheers :)

The thing is I want to be able to play games on my PC in my HT. I have a Panasonic AE-700 projector, a Denon 2805 Receiver and a Kef 2005.2 5.1 egg setup.
However I want the sound to go into the reciever so it comes out of my 5 speakers. I need a decent soundcard to do this, but how should this then connect up to my receiver?
Im now looking at this soundcard here

According to the specs on the manufacturer's website, the only digital ouput the card has is an SPDIF output. Will this go into my amp to give me Dolby Digital surround sound? as there is no optical or co-axial out on the sound card.

Rob, if your soundcard has spdif out, its usually either a digital optical or a digital coaxial connection. Optical cables have either a single toslink (d-link) or 3.5mm mini jack connector at each end (or one of each). Coaxial cables have a single rca connector at each end. You need to check soundcard and receiver sockets. This is how to get digital 5.1 sound.
SPDIF - Sony Phillips Digital Interface :)

I would hazard a guess that the soundcard and amp can be connected using coaxial cable as I have done with my Creative Soundblaster Live and Yamaha amp, BUT YOU MUST CHECK WITH THE MANUFACTURERS FIRST! The soundcard you are looking at is much more up to date than mine so may accomodate optical which would be preferable due to its slimmer design.
I find Lindys good for Optical cables and Maplin good for Coaxial.

Jamesv said:
Rob, if your soundcard has spdif out, its usually either a digital optical or a digital coaxial connection. Optical cables have either a single toslink (d-link) or 3.5mm mini jack connector at each end (or one of each). Coaxial cables have a single rca connector at each end. You need to check soundcard and receiver sockets. This is how to get digital 5.1 sound.
SPDIF - Sony Phillips Digital Interface :)

I would hazard a guess that the soundcard and amp can be connected using coaxial cable as I have done with my Creative Soundblaster Live and Yamaha amp, BUT YOU MUST CHECK WITH THE MANUFACTURERS FIRST! The soundcard you are looking at is much more up to date than mine so may accomodate optical which would be preferable due to its slimmer design.
I find Lindys good for Optical cables and Maplin good for Coaxial.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :)

I think I'm gonna go for this sound card here . Unfortunately, the XFS 6600GT graphics card has sold out, so I'll be doing a bit of searching for another one.

Thanks again guys :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom