Which is best scaler to use with a TH-50PF10

fatrich

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
looking to get a TH-50PF10 in the next week or so and maybe looking to pair it up with a scaler, i cannot afford the new Lumagen Radiance or even the new Iscans, i used to have a Lumagen HDP a few years ago and was very happy with it but is it up to the task with the new screen or is there an alternative thats easy to set up?
I will be running Sky HD, Arcam dv29 and PS3 through it (for game and Blu ray duties)

cheers

richard

Hi
looking to get a TH-50PF10 in the next week or so and maybe looking to pair it up with a scaler, i cannot afford the new Lumagen Radiance or even the new Iscans, i used to have a Lumagen HDP a few years ago and was very happy with it but is it up to the task with the new screen or is there an alternative thats easy to set up?
I will be running Sky HD, Arcam dv29 and PS3 through it (for game and Blu ray duties)

cheers

richard

The Luma HPD strengths are with interlaced SD and HD film material. Other products appear to be better with video based material. The Vision range is limited to a max input res of 1080i/60 (it will also support 1080p/24) and this may be a problem for PS3 games or any 1080p/60 source.

AVI

The Luma HPD strengths are with interlaced SD and HD film material. Other products appear to be better with video based material.
Other products certainly do a better job of deinterlacing SD video, but I haven't previously heard it suggested that they do a better job with 1080i video; do they?

I don't think they are greatly better wrt 1080i video deinterlacing. Not until you get to Gennum processing levels at which point you are in quite a different budget league (Crystalio II, Radiance).

I know this risks me sounding like a Lumagen fanboy, but you have to see and guage for yourself the video deinterlacing performance with SD. Jaggies yes. But still, especially combined with the Lumagen scaling, much detail retained and a sharper image over the competition. Demo advised to make the better informed decision

Other products certainly do a better job of deinterlacing SD video, but I haven't previously heard it suggested that they do a better job with 1080i video; do they?

Nick

Sorry I didn't mean to imply they did. :) Simply suggesting the HPD is very good with interlaced film material be it SD or HD but not as good as some with SD video.

AVI

Would the Lumagen Vision HDQ Video Processor beast for the processing duties its in betweent eh Radience and the HDP?

cheers

richard

HDQ and HDP have identical processors. The difference is 99% physical - the HDQ has four DVI instead of two on the HDP, the component inputs are BNC instead of RCA, and the HDQ has an SDI input and 5 BNC analogue output. I thnk the HDQ DVI inputs are DVI-I where the HDP is DVI-D (i.e. digital only).

The other 1% is that the video decoder on the HDQ is better. This means s-video, RGB scart is better resolved on the input stages. But otherwise, both use identical processing chips and software. Makes the HDP the biggest bargain in the VP world IMO considering it has primary colour CMS, 11pt grayscale, SD and HD film detection which competes with processors much more expensive.

Would the Lumagen Vision HDQ Video Processor beast for the processing duties its in betweent eh Radience and the HDP?

cheers

richard

The HPQ doesn't offer any real processing enhancements over the HPD. In fact it's identical apart from a 3D comb filter on S Video/compo input. The main difference between the HPD and HPQ is additional inputs/output connections i.e. 2 more DVI inputs, 1 SDI input and analog BNC outputs.

AVI

EDIT Liam types faster !

EDIT Liam types faster !

LOL!! Is an interesting read because I am still doing 50PF10 and Lumagen HDQ/HDP systems as I always have been. Shame the forum has all but written them off now. The VP50 IMO still can't do SD and HD film like the Lumagen can asides from all the cool calibration toys!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom